Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my st and been looking at doing some mods. Plan to do a stage one mod most likely first. My question is with the intakes. Seems like a lot of company's use a closed air box design, vs and open filter. Is the closed box on this car the best way to go hp wise? OR is there an actual gain to having the open filter?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Theoretically, you would lose power taking in hot underhood air vs cool wheel well air. A decent intercooler will remedy that.

The sound negates that 0.001 peak hp in my opinion. Mine's open.

·
Administrator
12,703 Posts
So your saying open filter makes a tad more? I'm between the Cobb and injen.
Ugh, if you plan on modding your car further, I personally am against the Cobb intake. Their elbow sucks and its a pain to pull the airbox once its in. Im a fan of the JBR design.

If you run a closed box, a snorkle would be beneficial.

Open box is less hp but more fun turbo sounds. SO the Injen should sound good, but the hot intake air is a negative factor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So your saying open filter makes a tad more? I'm between the Cobb and injen.
Closed box should "theoretically" (on a N/A car) make more power as it's being fed from the wheel well with cold air. It doesn't matter on our cars because it goes thru the turbo and gets heated anyway. 89* vs 95* air doesn't matter when the compressor is going to heat it to 160+. Follow? Open Injen here. Soundsgoodman.

Ugh, if you plan on modding your car further, I personally am against the Cobb intake. Their elbow sucks and its a pain to pull the airbox once its in. Im a fan of the JBR design.

If you run a closed box, a snorkle would be beneficial.

Open box is less hp but more fun turbo sounds. SO the Injen should sound good, but the hot intake air is a negative factor.
All correct. I'd skip the intake and do FMIC and tune if it was me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning to do the Cobb stage one first. Seems like a good deal for the money. Plan to mod a lot more though. And since stage 2 comes with th piping. I was trying to save a few bucks and just buy one intake.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I was planning to do the Cobb stage one first. Seems like a good deal for the money. Plan to mod a lot more though. And since stage 2 comes with th piping. I was trying to save a few bucks and just buy one intake.
Honestly I felt the CAI was not worth the bang for the buck as far as added performance. Sure it sounds better, and has a little more diameter and smoother lines, but our stock airbox and filter set up is not choking and too restrictive for the stock turbo. So I went with the Cobb Drop in filter and put the money I saved from not getting a CAI piping kit towards the APV3 and colder plugs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was only gonna do RS airbox and stage 1 for the time being until I saw what charge temps were hitting at full boost, save for a bigger fmic and go stage 2.

Plus the RS airbox is like a cross between open/closed and like $60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got the AF Dynamic intake off of amazon for $165. it comes with a metal heat shield but I decided that I liked having the factory air inlets so I cut open the left side so the tube could fit in. I figured why spend $300 when for half the price I can do the same thing as some of the name brands.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
When I first got my car I did the Cobb stage 1 kit. (it is a gateway drug) It was great for about a month then I wanted more, I ended up selling the drop in filter and rmm to get an full intake and a way stronger CP-e stage 2 rmm. If you are not planning on modding your car very heavy I recommend the stage one kit. But also save your money and buy some of this used, I have seen plenty of this up for sale!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone have the part number on the rs box?

I planned to get a fmic. As my second stage. Then turbo back exhaust.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!! Where's the best place to buy it? Is it the whole box or just the lid?? I assume it drops right In?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts