Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen there are a few discussions on this but nothing clearly answered my questions I suppose. What do you have to do to the wiring if i want to add an aftermarket 8" in the stock enclosure. Do I need an 8" spacer ring and what sub will actually fit I've seen people throw up kicker comp S but I looked that speaker and it seems way to deep for the stock enclosure.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have seen there are a few discussions on this but nothing clearly answered my questions I suppose. What do you have to do to the wiring if i want to add an aftermarket 8" in the stock enclosure. Do I need an 8" spacer ring and what sub will actually fit I've seen people throw up kicker comp S but I looked that speaker and it seems way to deep for the stock enclosure.
I have a Kicker CompRT 8" shallow sub in the stock box. Once you take the stock sub out of the box, you can rip the wires out and there will be holes to run new ones. The only modification you need to make the stock box for the new sub to fit is just break off a few of the plastic fins that line the back of the box and it fits perfectly.
Wheel Alloy wheel Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Kicker CompRT 8" shallow sub in the stock box. Once you take the stock sub out of the box, you can rip the wires out and there will be holes to run new ones. The only modification you need to make the stock box for the new sub to fit is just break off a few of the plastic fins that line the back of the box and it fits perfectly.
[iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=303409&stc=1&d=1515863774"]
[/iurl]
Okay so that makes sense. Now when you say run new wiring what are you referring to ? I still have the stock amp is there a way to make this work using that and the existing wiring ?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Okay so that makes sense. Now when you say run new wiring what are you referring to ? I still have the stock amp is there a way to make this work using that and the existing wiring ?
Technically yes but the stock subwoofer uses 18g wiring and if you're going to be pushing more power, you'll probably want to use 16 or 14g wiring instead.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If he's using the stock amp, he won't be pushing any more power...

The important part is that what ever new sub you get, you have to get the same coil configuration as the OEM to properly use that amp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If he's using the stock amp, he won't be pushing any more power...

The important part is that what ever new sub you get, you have to get the same coil configuration as the OEM to properly use that amp.

Yeah a dual voice coil correct ? And I can cut and crimp connections to make the wiring work right ?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
I was just about to start a similar thread, so I guess I will ask here. I have an ST1, is it possible to add an amp and subwoofer? I only have the basic ST1, no options electronics wise. My car is a 2017 year model.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Got it, I didn't see that OP was going to use the factory amp. Yeah, if you're just going to be using the factory amp, you can use the factory wiring but I would advise from getting a more expensive subwoofer since the stock amp can't really push out much power.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it, I didn't see that OP was going to use the factory amp. Yeah, if you're just going to be using the factory amp, you can use the factory wiring but I would advise from getting a more expensive subwoofer since the stock amp can't really push out much power.
Okay cool I just want to bump it up a little I'm not looking for anything crazy. What subs would you recommend that fit in the enclosure ? Other than kicker

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just about to start a similar thread, so I guess I will ask here. I have an ST1, is it possible to add an amp and subwoofer? I only have the basic ST1, no options electronics wise. My car is a 2017 year model.
Yes, I added just a sub and amp and it worked perfectly

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Yes, I added just a sub and amp and it worked perfectly
did you have to splice anything or are all the hookups already on the back of the unit in the dash?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You will also need to get a signal from behind the radio, there are no connectors back there, you will either need to use high level ins on an amp or install a line output device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts