Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is an aftermarket intercooler worth it if i'm just daily driving and not really racing the car? I just want something that'll improve the cars reliability. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes...i installed at 700 miles.

If you are not using an AP3..you can't really see how bad it is.

I was getting 70* charge temp increases on 1 pull. And the car was knocking and pulling timing, stock tune on 93, 1 gallon of e85 helped a little.

Point being, if you aren't monitoring you don't really see how bad it is.

·
Registered
2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST
23 Posts
Don't do it. If reliability is a concern i wouldn't touch anything aftermarket.
Do not listen to this guy. The longevity of your car will be extended considerably with an Intercooler. Once your intakte temps reach about 150 degrees, with the stock intercooler and stock tune, your car starts to dump fuel into the cylinders to cool the motor. Thats the only way your car can control those temps with the stock intercooler. At ST Octane academy, Ford Racing changed out the intercoolers on the Foci and they have been beat on for 7,000 miles. With that being the only modification. So, if there is only one modification you do, do the intercooler. If you want to save your clutch, do the RMM also. I found that out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Don't do it. If reliability is a concern i wouldn't touch anything aftermarket.
and this guy is a supporting member? Oh lawd :D

The stock intercooler is truly garbage. You won't hurt your cars reliability with an intercooler, if you take your time and install it correctly, you will improve its reliability as stated by focusforlife .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About how long does it take to install an ic, some guy said he can do it in about 30min to an hour, not sure if thats a reasonable amount of time to install it.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Again I will second what I originally said. Not to bash on anyone but clearly the op is new to his car. It's never a good idea to just start swapping parts if you have no clue what's going on. I never said anything about the stock intercooler. With asking this question I would imagine he won't be doing the install. So maybe 800 bucks for a intercooler on a bone stock car for reliability I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yup. Sounds about right. Pop out the healights, take out all the bumper screws, two clips which be under the removed headlights, boost tubes off, two screws that hold the intercooler on. Then reverse the process. I recommend depo intercooler or cpe. No mount drilling involved.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point but when exactly should i get an intercooler? (Question is specifically to you)
Again I will second what I originally said. Not to bash on anyone but clearly the op is new to his car. It's never a good idea to just start swapping parts if you have no clue what's going on. I never said anything about the stock intercooler. With asking this question I would imagine he won't be doing the install. So maybe 800 bucks for a intercooler on a bone stock car for reliability I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
About how long does it take to install an ic, some guy said he can do it in about 30min to an hour, not sure if thats a reasonable amount of time to install it.

I just installed my Deporacing "Beast" 2 weekends ago. I'm proficient when it comes to wrenching and have a decent amount of tools. It took me just over 3 hours and this was with a 25 minute trip to the parts house and 40 minutes trying to get my fat hands to work in a small spot when installing the new intercooler. Now that I've done it once I'm sure I could knock it out in an hour and a half no issue. Its a truly simple thing to do, just take your time. My charge temps stay at least 4 degrees cooler then the ambient temperature outside and never get past that when doing pulls. With the stock intercooler I would be at least 8 degrees over ambient and as soon as I would start to have fun the charge temps would shot up quick. Car would get "lazy". However with the new intercooler, car never gets "lazy". I'm also in the boat of "don't mod if you want reliability" like kprocivic. Not saying some mods wont help in the reliability department, however getting your dealer to understand that if a warranty issue comes up will be fun. On to pictures...everyone loves pictures.

20171014_171232.jpg 20171014_172732.jpg 20171014_190030.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Slowccust, listen to this guy. One minute he's telling you not to change your car. Then he asks you if you want more power. Go to his profile and look at the posts he's commented on. He doesn't have any more knowledge than you.

You can look on any intercooler post and see that the stock intercooler can give you up to 70 degrees added intake temps. I've seen as high as 180 degrees after the stock intercooler. THAT'S 30 DEGREES FROM BOILING WATER GOING INTO YOU MOTOR! But, if you're timid about changing stuff on your car, don't go full throttle for more than 5 seconds in 80-90 degree weather. Then don't do it again till you've driven a few miles. Also, make sure you change your oil every 3,000 miles. That's my two cents. I'm out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The intercooler is one of the best upgrades you can do to the car. I installed the Mountune several months ago and I love it. Installation is a bit involved but I really enjoyed learning how to take the front of the car apart. Here are some pics:

Stock intercooler with AGS:

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

Here's the Mountune intercooler installed on the car:

IMG_0375.JPG

And lastly, a comparison of the Mountune intercooler vs. stock. Quite the difference:

IMG_0372.JPG

·
Registered
344 Posts
Firstly, where do you live and how hot does it get? Next do you drive the car hard and do third and fourth gear pulls? or is it just a daily?

Before spending money on an intercooler, do you need one? if it's hot and/or you drive it hard then yes you will benefit from an intercooler. Notice how I said benefit and not 'errrmmmaaaggeeerrrrrddd must get it cause I have it and it's a depo and my charge temps errrmmmmmaggerrrddd'. I have seen plenty of stock ST's with 140,000km+ using stock intercoolers. This is in Queensland Australia where it gets to 42 degrees Celsius (107 Fahrenheit) for periods over summer. So on stock tune you should be fine, yes believe it or not Ford actually did put some sort of engineering into this car, a lot more than many of the companies you see flogging their generic china cores with welded end caps. So in stock form if you don't live in a hot climate, or if you do I have not seen a stock car kick the bucket purely due to the intercooler (not saying it hasn't happened, I have just not seen it), you should be alright provided your driving habits aren't nuts or your car isn't modified.

Run good fuel, service at regular intervals and let the car warm up before you get on it. An intercooler is definitely a nice to have and becomes a necessity once you start modding, but for stock trim I haven't seen any proof of reduced longevity and the evidence is in the used car market. Of course you will get those that have started modding or monitoring their temps and change intercoolers and want to justify it to themselves. It's your decision at the end of the day. An intercooler is a good upgrade but in stock trim, unless you live in a really really hot climate I haven't seen any proof it's a must for longevity.

Note that when your IAT is high the car pulls timing so just because you get a high IAT doesn't mean your motor is going to blow up. You may get heat soak because of this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm almost at 4000 miles and i have never passed 6k rpms lol. So no, i rarely ever do hard pulls and just drive it normally (faster then most but not pass high rpms). And i do live in a place where it gets very hot (100s) but now winter is coming will an intercooler still be a good idea?
Firstly, where do you live and how hot does it get? Next do you drive the car hard and do third and fourth gear pulls? or is it just a daily?

Before spending money on an intercooler, do you need one? if it's hot and/or you drive it hard then yes you will benefit from an intercooler. Notice how I said benefit and not 'errrmmmaaaggeeerrrrrddd must get it cause I have it and it's a depo and my charge temps errrmmmmmaggerrrddd'. I have seen plenty of stock ST's with 140,000km+ using stock intercoolers. This is in Queensland Australia where it gets to 42 degrees Celsius (107 Fahrenheit) for periods over summer. So on stock tune you should be fine, yes believe it or not Ford actually did put some sort of engineering into this car, a lot more than many of the companies you see flogging their generic china cores with welded end caps. So in stock form if you don't live in a hot climate, or if you do I have not seen a stock car kick the bucket purely due to the intercooler (not saying it hasn't happened, I have just not seen it), you should be alright provided your driving habits aren't nuts or your car isn't modified.

Run good fuel, service at regular intervals and let the car warm up before you get on it. An intercooler is definitely a nice to have and becomes a necessity once you start modding, but for stock trim I haven't seen any proof of reduced longevity and the evidence is in the used car market. Of course you will get those that have started modding or monitoring their temps and change intercoolers and want to justify it to themselves. It's your decision at the end of the day. An intercooler is a good upgrade but in stock trim, unless you live in a really really hot climate I haven't seen any proof it's a must for longevity.

Note that when your IAT is high the car pulls timing so just because you get a high IAT doesn't mean your motor is going to blow up. You may get heat soak because of this.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I'm almost at 4000 miles and i have never passed 6k rpms lol. So no, i rarely ever do hard pulls and just drive it normally (faster then most but not pass high rpms). And i do live in a place where it gets very hot (100s) but now winter is coming will an intercooler still be a good idea?
No power goals in the immediate future, no issues with a heat soaked stock unit no need for a aftermarket unit.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Easiest way to test it, go as soon as you can today and get on the highway. Put it in 4th gear at like 3k rpm and gun it. Run it to like 5500 to 6000 then slow way down so you are back at 3k quickly...then do it again. You'll instantly notice how much slower your car is and it will have way less power the 2nd time. That's heat soak. Our stock intercooler is terrible and 96% of this community will agree. There are a ton of people on here who have changed the intercooler on a stock car and run it that way and even get warranty work done, but if you're worried about warranty issues keep the stock one and if you need to, the install is easy enough you can put the stock one back on before taking it to Ford. Trust me, the intercooler is a good idea. Better safe than sorry wins out 99% of the time. Heat soak sucks, hence why the Ford Octane Academy have aftermarket intercoolers on the stock tune.

Edit: Got my used CPE lightweight intercooler for $400 and Depo Racing has identical units for $300 and a HUGE one for $400 that is even bigger than the CPE lightweight. So there are cheap options. That said, if you want a bigger "brand name" CPE/Steeda is where it is at. My opinion, but it's widely shared.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
One thing i do love about this car is the amount of parts available... ym other car not to many options and very expensive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts