Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we get into the "use the search button" mantra, I have and everyone changes their opinions every two seconds about which is best and what company sucks. I need to hear from someone who has experience with these clutchs. I'm at 59K (too early for a clutch IMHO), and it's just starting to slip a bit. I'll need a new one soon.

I'm looking at

Spec stage 2 with stock flywheel

Southbend Stage 2 endurance or stage 3 Daily (whichever drive easier, open to hearing this) with their single flywheel

ACT HD Street Preformance Clutch kit with the stock flywheel.

I don't want a lightweight flywheel - it increases the chances of transmission damage from what i've heard, and i don't like the chatter.

Any thoughts or opinions would be great! it's a $1800 investment (with install) and i don't want to screw it up! I just want a good clutch that can handle Stage 3 Tq. and will last me another 50K miles, until i sell the car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just went through this, actually putting in my new clutch today. I went with the stage 2 Southbend. It seems SPEC used to get a lot of heat but for most has cleared up as of late, though I know there are still a couple of problems out there that we hear about. This was my biggest reason for staying away from SPEC though. So for me it was down to ACT or Southbend. I went with Southbend because I thought it best to replace the flywheel at the same time, it got the most bang for the buck in that area, and a lot of my VW friends were high on them. I'll let you know how it performs when i get it broken in but you will likely have already made a purchase by then. Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went through this, actually putting in my new clutch today. I went with the stage 2 Southbend. It seems SPEC used to get a lot of heat but for most has cleared up as of late, though I know there are still a couple of problems out there that we hear about. This was my biggest reason for staying away from SPEC though. So for me it was down to ACT or Southbend. I went with Southbend because I thought it best to replace the flywheel at the same time, it got the most bang for the buck in that area, and a lot of my VW friends were high on them. I'll let you know how it performs when i get it broken in but you will likely have already made a purchase by then. Good luck.
I'm going to continue to milk this clutch until it truly gives out on me. Let me know how it performs once it's all broken in! Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I just ordered a Southbend Stage 3 endurance. I've read a lot about people having issues with the SPEC's and had a great experience with the southbend I threw in my 2010 GTI. The stage 3 daily should be very similar to the oem feel, however when switching from a dual mass flywheel to a single mass/lightweight flywheel in my experience you're going top have some chatter. With my previous southbend before it was very faint, you had to crank the AC and put the windows down to hear it. Nonetheless, if you went looking for it you'd be able to hear it. Once I get the Stage 3 endurance in the ST and broken in I can definitely give you a little review on my thoughts if you want it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I am considering -

Spec because it can be used with the stock flywheel and no you don't have to buy a new flywheel or a Clutch Master FX-350 or FX-400 along with "another item" I am not willing to discuss at this point.

This is all about getting the car out of the hole without heavy clutch engagement an no noise. Spec might be enough for now and no noise but as power goes up, looking at twin disc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Update on my clutch install (its Wednesday, been almost a week install now). South Bend clutch is rubbing against the bell housing and will subsequently not allow the motor to turn over. South Bend acted like this has happened a few times with other Focus STs. No idea how a machine specced part built for the vehicle could then not fit properly. Could possibly be a model year change but it says it fits all STs from 13-17. My mechanic is talking with south bend but I have no idea what the resolution will be. So far, not as exemplary a performance as i've heard. I'm shocked that they have heard reports of this but not investigated why or pulled the item from the market. Still trying to stick with South Bend at this point but we will see.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on my clutch install (its Wednesday, been almost a week install now). South Bend clutch is rubbing against the bell housing and will subsequently not allow the motor to turn over. South Bend acted like this has happened a few times with other Focus STs. No idea how a machine specced part built for the vehicle could then not fit properly. Could possibly be a model year change but it says it fits all STs from 13-17. My mechanic is talking with south bend but I have no idea what the resolution will be. So far, not as exemplary a performance as i've heard. I'm shocked that they have heard reports of this but not investigated why or pulled the item from the market. Still trying to stick with South Bend at this point but we will see.
This is disturbing news. What year do you have? Let me know what happens!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the ACT clutch and flywheel installed in my FoST. Only reason being is at that time I lived out in Lancaster, CA where ACT is located and they needed a donor car for R&D purposes to manufacture such a kit for our platform. I answered the call and in turn for giving up my car on a couple occasions I got the first examples of each plus installation for free! Working with them was a great experience. That was well over 30K miles ago and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Killing my vibe. My stage 3 endurance just shipped today. Hopefully it goes in fine and maybe you got a bad one from a bad batch but we shall see. Always something right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here's hoping, good luck! I did get an update from my mechanic though, SBC is shipping a new clutch out today, but no idea when it will be here. I'm hoping they can over night it and i'll have it by the weekend, but i'm guessing that's a long shot. I've also got to find a way to pay for the additional labor. I'll see soon enough i guess.

Killing my vibe. My stage 3 endurance just shipped today. Hopefully it goes in fine and maybe you got a bad one from a bad batch but we shall see. Always something right!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Here's hoping, good luck! I did get an update from my mechanic though, SBC is shipping a new clutch out today, but no idea when it will be here. I'm hoping they can over night it and i'll have it by the weekend, but i'm guessing that's a long shot. I've also got to find a way to pay for the additional labor. I'll see soon enough i guess.
Hopefully the replacement fits okay and was just a one off issue. Good luck and keep us posted! I had no issues with my previous south bend it was great in my 2010 GTI.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i've only ever heard great things about south bend from my GTI friends, so i'm very surprised.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have the ACT clutch and flywheel installed in my FoST. Only reason being is at that time I lived out in Lancaster, CA where ACT is located and they needed a donor car for R&D purposes to manufacture such a kit for our platform. I answered the call and in turn for giving up my car on a couple occasions I got the first examples of each plus installation for free! Working with them was a great experience. That was well over 30K miles ago and I have no complaints.
You don't have the idle chatter? IE sounds like a bad throw out bearing. When I talked to ACT they told me it will have some chatter because of the single mass flywheel.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You don't have the idle chatter? IE sounds like a bad throw out bearing. When I talked to ACT they told me it will have some chatter because of the single mass flywheel.
I do have some idle chatter, but I hardly notice it anymore.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My second South Bend Clutch has same issue, even after manufacturer reworked the design. Rubbing Bell Housing, not as much, but still enough that it is non-drivable. SBC and EDGE Auto Sports as well as my mechanic have been awesome to work with so far, but i'm afraid people are going to start losing patience :/

·
Registered
991 Posts
Super happy with my ACT clutch and factory flywheel... You could get a refund and go with a tried and true ACT clutch. Had mine bought and delivered to my mechanic via amazon in two days.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My second South Bend Clutch has same issue, even after manufacturer reworked the design. Rubbing Bell Housing, not as much, but still enough that it is non-drivable. SBC and EDGE Auto Sports as well as my mechanic have been awesome to work with so far, but i'm afraid people are going to start losing patience :/
Meanwhile You've had no car and have to pay the mechanic to install three different clutches? Are they sending a 3rd? I'd be losing patience. Let us know what happens! This is interesting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Meanwhile You've had no car and have to pay the mechanic to install three different clutches? Are they sending a 3rd? I'd be losing patience. Let us know what happens! This is interesting.
yeah, its frustrating, but its not going to change until I get a working clutch. South Bend Clutch helped out on labor on the second install and paid half, so that was pretty nice. At some point though i'm afraid they will just want to cut their losses and hang me out, but no evidence of that so far, just my pessimism. For their part edge autosports has been doing great and trying to relay issues to and from SBC and SBC has been really helpful, just somehow not getting me a proper fitment.

From how it sounds, Ford manufacturers the bell housing within a certain tolerance and SBC was unaware of the differences this may cause. They have limited experience with the 2014 model year and have had this happen a couple of times before, but for my car to have issues on both clutches seems like mine is more out of tolerance than most. I'm hoping that we get it done soon. i'll keep you all posted. Also, for anyone with a south bend clutch make sure your mechanic turns it over by hand before closing everything up and turning the key. If they had done this without testing first it would have ripped my trans apart.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am surprised that it didn't fit first time. SBC is well known in the diesel world and I have never heard of anything bad. Must be like you said, limited experience with the car so that have very few data points on how well it works, and you could imagine how hard it is for them when they probably can't get another ST in to see what could be causing the issue in person.

But Honestly the only clutch you should buy for the ST is either the ACT or SBC as they both make great products and spec and clutch master are second rate tbh...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
18 Participants
MFactory
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing