Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon I plan to get the carbon bonnet with RS style vents from Seibon. They recommend also installing hood pins for safety reasons, so I've decided to get a set of flush carbon latches from Aerocatch. Question is, why do some of them have key locks and some not? Is it for extra safety? Are the ones without locks weaker? I don't race or anything, so I don't have to worry much about wear and tear, if that's what they're for?

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/bonnet-pins-fasteners/aerocatch-panel-fasteners

Super Moderator
Soon I plan to get the carbon bonnet with RS style vents from Seibon. They recommend also installing hood pins for safety reasons, so I've decided to get a set of flush carbon latches from Aerocatch. Question is, why do some of them have key locks and some not? Is it for extra safety? Are the ones without locks weaker? I don't race or anything, so I don't have to worry much about wear and tear, if that's what they're for?

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/bonnet-pins-fasteners/aerocatch-panel-fasteners
Back in the good old days I had a 1967 Mustang with a big block 390, top loader trans and 9 inch locker rear end; I had to use locking hood pins to keep thieves from trying to steal parts or the car itself. It's harder to do today, but thieves can still ruin your day by fiddling around under your hood. I can get my ST's hood open without using the hood release if I need to, and thieves can too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been having a search and I found the old thread from 2016 that was advertising that very hood. They seemed to think safety wise the hooks aren't really needed, because the factory latch should be strong enough to hold it in place with no difficulty. Is this true that it's just the company following legal rules in order to cover their own back?

Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Back in the good old days I had a 1967 Mustang with a big block 390, top loader trans and 9 inch locker rear end; I had to use locking hood pins to keep thieves from trying to steal parts or the car itself. It's harder to do today, but thieves can still ruin your day by fiddling around under your hood. I can get my ST's hood open without using the hood release if I need to, and thieves can too.
Is this like, really easy to do? I never tried to break into my car to test...I break into my network at work as a career so naturally I should try my car as well lol. Posts like this make me happy I live in the middle of nowhere where crimes like this hardly happen

Super Moderator
Is this like, really easy to do? I never tried to break into my car to test...I break into my network at work as a career so naturally I should try my car as well lol. Posts like this make me happy I live in the middle of nowhere where crimes like this hardly happen
It's not easy to do if you are trying to not damage the car; you have to get to the cable on the latch mechanism from under the car. If you can get your hand on the cable, one good yank pops the hood. Now, if you don't care about damaging the car it is very easy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, things are pretty damned laid back here in Devon too. I don't even get a parking ticket for being half an hour late at the car park, let alone being broken into! I figure I stand more chance of having the actual car nicked than I do anybody stealing engine parts, which I've never actually heard of happening. Also, most of the hood will be sprayed once I get it, so it should look like a normal hood, not a carbon one. The only things I'm not getting sprayed will be the stripes and intakes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd recommend hood pins for aftermarket hoods and/or racing events. I had a carbon hood seperate on me before. Luckily no damage to the windshield or roof.

Sent from another galaxy.
Thanks for the advice. Better safe than sorry, aye?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts