Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scoured the internet to learn more about how to get my ST to shoot flames out the exhaust. I don't want a flame kit, that's as fake as putting an air compressor in a non-turbo car just for the BOV sound. Here's what I've done to my exhaust:
-Installed a 3" Cobb downpipe
-Installed the 3" Cobb catback exhaust
-Removed the resonator and muffler
-Installed a glasspack (to lower the drone sound)

I get plenty of crackling while the car is in gear and is coming off the rev (beautiful sound). I used an Unleashed SCT to tune the car since I installed the downpipe but from what I understand, I need my car to run rich to have some remains of fuel in my exhaust, which will result in flames at a high enough RPM. Is this correct? With my set up, would just a tune to run the car rich be good enough? Any additional thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've scoured the internet to learn more about how to get my ST to shoot flames out the exhaust. I don't want a flame kit, that's as fake as putting an air compressor in a non-turbo car just for the BOV sound. Here's what I've done to my exhaust:
-Installed a 3" Cobb downpipe
-Installed the 3" Cobb catback exhaust
-Removed the resonator and muffler
-Installed a glasspack (to lower the drone sound)

I get plenty of crackling while the car is in gear and is coming off the rev (beautiful sound). I used an Unleashed SCT to tune the car since I installed the downpipe but from what I understand, I need my car to run rich to have some remains of fuel in my exhaust, which will result in flames at a high enough RPM. Is this correct? With my set up, would just a tune to run the car rich be good enough? Any additional thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
You'll need a catless downpipe and probably some sort of extra fueling like meth injection or AUX fuel. Maybe you can ask a tuner to run your car rich?

Reactions: justindeboosted

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
lots of horse power :D

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
395 Posts
LOL just dont

·
Registered
816 Posts
Put a spark plug in your exhaust pipe, that should do it LOL. Otherwise the only way to do it is to run aux fuel or meth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
If you intentionally run your car rich don't be surprised if you foul your spark plugs every 5k miles. Not worth it imho...just because the Civics can do it (because they "beef" them up and don't tune them so they run rich) doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to those who offered their informative advice. The ST is a fun car, more so than my Skyline GT-S I had when I was stationed in Japan and one of my favorite sounds besides the whine of the turbo is the crackling and rumbling of the exhaust. I think my next place to ask is the SCR tuner himself since it a lot of Focus owners have explored this area yet it seems judging from the responses. I'll post something if I find anything new on this. Thanks to those who were trying to be helpful, hard to find a community who actually likes to help others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks to those who offered their informative advice. The ST is a fun car, more so than my Skyline GT-S I had when I was stationed in Japan and one of my favorite sounds besides the whine of the turbo is the crackling and rumbling of the exhaust. I think my next place to ask is the SCR tuner himself since it a lot of Focus owners have explored this area yet it seems judging from the responses. I'll post something if I find anything new on this. Thanks to those who were trying to be helpful, hard to find a community who actually likes to help others.

Check out Stratified for one of their crackle and pop tunes. They are highly regarded tuners. I am 200% sure they can help you out in your quest for fire.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Get the stratified v2 crackles tune. It will not shoot flames, but the sound of the pops is really, really loud at times and makes me and passengers smile and breaks a lot on necks (if not scare the **** out of them ;P). Don't go the SCT route...that platform never evolved like the cobb AP did, and the sct is more limited on tuning ability due to that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Get the stratified v2 crackles tune. It will not shoot flames, but the sound of the pops is really, really loud at times and makes me and passengers smile and breaks a lot on necks (if not scare the **** out of them ;P). Don't go the SCT route...that platform never evolved like the cobb AP did, and the sct is more limited on tuning ability due to that.
This is forum regurgitation. I'd love to hear exactly what is limited in tuning ability with SCT. I guess go AP if you want to stare at a bunch of gauges.

·
Registered
565 Posts
This is forum regurgitation. I'd love to hear exactly what is limited in tuning ability with SCT. I guess go AP if you want to stare at a bunch of gauges.
Hmm...how about you do your own research, Okay? This is a thread about what the OP posted "wanting to shoot flames". If you want to argue about why the SCT "is better", you should probably find your way out. And the AP does more than display gauges...I have never even mounted mine to do that purpose.

·
Registered
377 Posts
From what i have seen the choice of tuners is limited, that and being able to "stare at a bunch of gauges" to see if the car is running the way it should. To each their own.

A Stratified tune and downpipe would be the best route to go down. Other than putting a spark plug at the tail end of your exhaust. Even without a downpipe the stratified tune will blow peoples ear drums inside tunnels or under bridges.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hmm...how about you do your own research, Okay? This is a thread about what the OP posted "wanting to shoot flames". If you want to argue about why the SCT "is better", you should probably find your way out. And the AP does more than display gauges...I have never even mounted mine to do that purpose.
You assume. I never said SCT was better. YOU how ever did say that SCT was limited. So I'm asking you how it's limited. Because everyone with an AP will say it's limited. But no one can explain how. Obviously the AP does a lot more than display gauges, but cooler gauges =\= more tuning ability. I think the AP is an awesome device. But I don't think it can make a car faster than using an SCT device. Which is what everyone repeats without any evidence to back it up.

It's like iPhone vs Android. Yeah everyone has an iPhone. And it's super sleek and great interface. But is it any better than a droid when it comes to ability? Not at all. But that doesn't stop everyone and their mom from wanting an iPhone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts