Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here as I recently backed out of my RS that I ordered in Nov as the dealer wanted $5k ADM after the car arrived.

Looking for advice on making the purchase or not, and things to check on a modded 2014 ST3. It is modded very close to what I would have done myself, is a single owner car from an adult seller, and happens to be very close proximity to me.

I am looking for things to check outside of a professional mechanic pre-purchase examination as I'm not real familiar with the 13-14 Focus or ST.

It is the exact color and config I wanted and relatively hard to find it seems (white, ST3, no moonroof). Less than 20k miles, very clean in/out/garaged and no apparent paint chips or interior wear. Carfax shoed no red flags but no service or other entries the past 1.5 years either since first 9k miles.

Mods: Cobb stage 2 package: intake, intercooler, rear motor mount, Access PortV2; Cobb Catback exhaust, Cobb f/r sway bars, RA mudflaps.

*** "Removed wiper washer outlets from hood and had them filled in to avoid hood shaking a bit at high speeds". Never heard of anyone doing this. Plus replacing plastic fasteners in front body with more sturdy rivot type fasteners. Again for stability up front.

Good price being a bit under $17k but the risk of a tired motor, limited clutch left, abused turbo or transmission or other expensive parts has me wary but still willing and excited about the car.

I'm looking to get the data logs from the Access Port today to examine closer (if not already erased).

Tires are only 6 month old PZeros so no real way to gauge how hard it was driven on them as they are in good shape.

I only had a relatively short test drive but didn't notice any clutch slippage from a handful of take offs, though we didn't get on the freeway either (something else I will do before the purchase).

I am also going to check the state of the oil, coolant and intake filter and look closer for any oily areas that might have been missed from a steam clean. There weren't any signs of an accident, but am going to check the paint color consistency across panels, hood, doors, hatch and wheel wells as best I can.

Any other areas specific to the ST to be worried about wear or abuse?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
862 Posts
Already seems to me like you know what to look for although have never herd about deleting the windshield sprayers that's just "different" did they have a custom tune or were they ots Cobb tunes? Beat it and see if you can tell if anything feels off.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is the hood stock? I'd take a close look at if the hood was repaired. The windshield sprayer delete seems sketchy. There's even a hood gap stock adjustment on the ST. I'd be more inclined to play with that before taking my hood to a shop, filling in the holes and painting the hood to match. I might entertain an inter cooler sprayer by relocating the windshield sprayer lines but unless it's a straight out show car, I wouldn't bother with the sprayers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposedly the OTS 91 octane tune ("2nd one down on list").

It is a stock hood.

I'm taking it to the Ford dealer this afternoon for a pre-sales inspection to include a compression check, scope to check carbon buildup on the valves, any signs of an accident, signs of tranny or clutch being in bad shape and anything else that might not be covered under warranty.

Any red flags and I'm going to continue my search.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Carfax isnt the end all be all regarding maintenance done. It's a good reference for accidents and such though. I do ALL my own maintenance, I change my oil with Full Synthetic at 5k miles every time without fail, rotate my tires as scheduled, Wash and wax as often as I can, Drive it like an adult etc. But even though my car has been meticulously maintained it wont show up on any fancy internet report that it was. Just something to keep in mind is all. The whole, deleted and filled in the windshield washers thing has me confused? like wtf? why? On the plus side some of the big stuff has been done. (intercooler is expensive and a PITA to install and its already got one so it saves you time and money)

I say if the mechanic checks it out and says ok, and you feel comfortable with it then go for it. If not keep looking, these arent exactly rare and dont hold their value for squat so finding another one shouldnt take long (I would say the fact that you have so many concerns already isnt a good sign, if the gut says no dont let the heart say yes dont follow the heart lol, you might regret it, I've done it before myself)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts