Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Advice needed

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Oscarigz 
#1 ·
Font Material property Paper Rectangle Paper product

Hi folks I need your advice on this ST I'm thinking of purchasing. It's a 2017 ST3 with 82k on the clock. I went to check it out today and it's really clean inside and out. It was owned by someone who used to work at the dealership and they took care of it. I can also ask them any questions if needed.

The bad news is that it's $22,800 which I feel like is a lot. However it is the ST3 package and it's super clean.

2 things did bother me so I'd appreciate your advice on them. I took it for a short test drive and with the radio off I could hear some liquid moving around somewhere. Sort of beneath the car from front to back. Has anyone noticed this?
And the coolant was well enlow where the minimum which was a concern. They did telle they would check with their mechanic to make sure it wasn't leaking.
I don't think the two issues are linked.

I think I can negotiate the price down, so what do you think?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate

Vehicle Car Plant Tire Wheel

Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Vehicle Car Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Is there an warranty?
Previous modifications/ tunes?
See if they will agree to a 3rd party compression test as well as inspection of the intake valves for carbon buildup. 82k is pushing it for a valve service.

Reactions: waltkulwicki
#9 ·
Even cargurus rates it as overpriced by 3K. shop around. there are better deals around.

#11 ·
CarMax go from the vin though which doesn't give you info on the model version. so CarMax don't know it's an st3, they just think it's a base, in which case their valuation is right. I do agree the price is high, but I'm really struggling to find one as good as this

#14 · (Edited)
I know it doesn’t help much but I paid just under 25k for my ‘17 ST1 with less than 35k miles. I thought thru research I got a decent deal but what do I know. They didn’t know much about my car at Autonation Buick/GMC but the sales guy knew a bit about AF mods and together we could see a few. I think I (currently) got lucky with a great car but the vibration/noise is bad and I’m sure I need MMs and new plugs to correct but again I’m about as smart about cars as I am about Astro physics. I don’t know Astro physics. 🤪

#15 ·
@nmthomas28
I think cars in my area are about 3-4k USD cheaper for similar mileage. Doesn't help you much per se, but the fact that there is actual inventory when I search suggests that the prices are on the way down. With the lots filling up with 2023 models, the used market is starting to sag.

Its just sad, I think 23-24k is about where these cars were brand new lol

One redflag that you've thrown up on this car is the sound of water rushing back and forth, I would look in the hatch under the spare tire and under the passenger seats (the seat bottoms flip forward). If there is water ingress it can collect in these areas and get pretty nasty. Water can also collect under the passenger footwell if the sunroof drains are clogged or disconnected so you might want to check there as well.
These aren't common issues and they're actually not difficult to fix, but you don't want to buy a car with 80k miles that has these issues because you don't know how long its gone unaddressed for.

#16 ·
Here's a one owner 2016 ST3 with 55K for $700 more than that one

I would check autotempest to see what you can find near you, there's definitely better deals out there

#23 ·
Hmm, It has black painted "snowflakes" instead of the Mach wheels on the sticker (which came with red calipers) - deduction. Snowflakes came painted Argent. A pre-purchase inspection is warranted for that much $. Someone familiar with clutches needs to check the feel, evaluate for slip. Also synchros are are concern. Does it downshift easily? Check for a previous tune. Many posts here about broken pistons on used ST's with previous "Tunes". What about brake pads' wear? Are the tires good or recent cheap replacements? It should be on its second, third or fourth set.

As far a the sloshing sound - never heard it in mine. Rattles from the hatch door, yes, no sloshing. I hear the injectors and the sound symposer, too. Check the spare compartment for a swimming pool. Low coolant? Poor owner maintenance and dealer inspection - concern.

Send some photos of the engine compartment. We've see fake engine swaps here before (make sure it has a turbo.)

Make sure everyone who is going to ride in it fits the Recaro Seats.

I checked the value on my '18 ST1 and it was what I paid for it, so $22,800 might be OK. Check KBB.com and other AutoTrader type sites to benchmark. though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.