Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New to the forum.

I just purchased my 2014 Focus ST with 19k miles on it. It came with a great BOV and cold air intake already installed.

I am planning on getting a local shop to put in a Flowmaster cat back.

Other than that, any suggestions for performance enhancements would be great! I'm thinking of getting a flash tool (not sure if that's what they are called lol) but have no idea which ones are better than the others aside from price difference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure...I just know this local shop who does a lot of cars and trucks around here tends to use Flowmaster and MagnaFlow parts.

I'm thinking about a downpipe as well...made a big difference in a GTI I used to have.

Also, I want to get a flash mod...Cobb seems to be popular around here. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
Great, thanks!

Why scrap the downpipe?
Unless you are going to go with a bigger turbo the factory down pipe flows plenty. The restriction in the ST is the tiny KO3 turbo. Get an intercooler and AccessPort (Cobb); if you buy the AccessPort from a tuner you will get the Cobb off the shelf tunes plus the tuners off the shelf tunes, and maybe some custom revisions.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ok that makes perfect sense. So catback and Cobb access port are first...then I'll look into the intercooler.
Minimal gains from a cat back, IC and a Cobb AP from one of the tuners on this forum 1st. Their flash tunes are much better than cobbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ want to make sure I'm understanding correctly - you're saying DO get a Cobb AP but get a tune from someone on this forum?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
^ want to make sure I'm understanding correctly - you're saying DO get a Cobb AP but get a tune from someone on this forum?
Get A Cob Ap and intercooler. Then you can get a custom tune from multiple tuners on here that will be specific to your car. If you by an AP from one of those tuners some come with a custom tune.

Edit the AP comes with OTS (off the shelf) maps that you can use. they are mild but safe for your car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's how you'll get the most power out of your mods. You can use the AP to upload custom tunes from other tuners. Stratified, FSWerks, Freektune, etc., they all offer data logging and tune revisions. You can usually get a discount on the AP as well if you purchase it with one of their tunes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Focus ST COBB Accessport V3 With Stratified Custom Tune [FocusST_FullTune_AP_Package] - $700.00USD : Stratified Automotive Controls

Cobb V3 AccessPORT ECU Flasher - Ford Focus ST 2013-2016 ? FSWERKS

This is more of what I was referring to. They send you the Cobb accessport and and do custom tunes via datalogging. You'll get more power out of custom tunes than OTS tunes because they're dialed in exactly to your engines parameters. OTS tunes are more conservative so that any car can run them safely.

This is a good read: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/25404-randy-vs-justin-freektune-vs-alex-stratified-review.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts