Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the OEM Window Visors from my car and there is a residue that has been left over. I used my 7424XP with V36 polish and it removed a lot of it but what is left over is very hard and will not come off. Do you have any hints or tips on how to remove this residue? Thanks!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I took off the OEM Window Visors from my car and there is a residue that has been left over. I used my 7424XP with V36 polish and it removed a lot of it but what is left over is very hard and will not come off. Do you have any hints or tips on how to remove this residue? Thanks!
Try Krud Kutter, it's pretty good with adhesives and safe on almost all materials. I've used it on car paint before and it caused no issues, try a small section if it will be on plastic though.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Might try some good ole WD-40 and a clean dry rag with some elbow grease.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I always use rubbing alcohol. Not overly harsh. Easy to apply. Gets off almost anything (including wax if you ever use it on paintwork).

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm, picture please do we can see what we are dealing with

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Didn’t seem to work... might be permanent or maybe it will take lots of weathering to go away
No it isn't permanent. Pictures would be helpful but in general if WD40 and a plastic razor blade doesn't knock it out i will try Stoners tarminator and the plastic razor blade. Not much that doesn't cure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a photo, I used a filter so you'd be able to see the adhesive... its like this on all of the doors

IMG-3224.JPG

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Is that on the pinano black pillars? You will need to polish those when done. I would make sure they are clean and spray some tarminator on them. Wait 20'seconds or so and dry to wipe off with a microfiber towel, if that doesn't workmre apply the tarminator wait another 20 seconds and hit lightly with the plastic razor blade.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that on the pinano black pillars? You will need to polish those when done. I would make sure they are clean and spray some tarminator on them. Wait 20'seconds or so and dry to wipe off with a microfiber towel, if that doesn't workmre apply the tarminator wait another 20 seconds and hit lightly with the plastic razor blade.
Thank you, I will try this out and update

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
3m products have never failed me... I need to find out if the tarminator will work and if it doesn't I will try this.. my only worry is that I don't want the clear coat on the plastic to peel off
Be careful using anything really harsh on that plastic. Those plastic pieces get so scuffed up so easily that honestly I'm just going to vinyl wrap them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey @f-power have you tried 3m Adhesive & Wax remover? You can pick it up at your local C/T or Walmart, it works fairly well. Alternatively, use some Goo-Gone. If those products do not work, try a Solvent such as eZ-Solve. That is my go-to adhesive remover when all else fails. Consider checking out a home depot/lowes, or other stores that carry paint, they generally have a good quality adhesive remover that will work if you do not have access to the other products I mentioned. Using any of these methods will not eat through your clear coat, I saw in another post you made that it was a concern to you. If you do not have any access to any of the following, heat up the adhesive residue with a hair dryer or a heat gun if you have, just until it feels warm to the touch, take your favorite wax or sealant, a microfiber cloth, and gently rub. Using this method will require you to follow up with some compounding and polishing. Best of luck, let us know what worked for you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I was able to get it off to the point where its barely noticeable... I do not want to use anything too harsh because using Goo-Gone or any other form of adhesive remover actually turned the plastic white and cloudy... had to use my Porter Cable to remove the haze that was left from the chemicals.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Future reference for anyone else, hitting subborn adhesives with a heatgun first really helps in the removal process and allows you to use less aggressive chemicals for the job. This works on old plasti dip too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts