Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not bad for $75. Focus RS intercooler on a Stage one OTS cobb tune.

How does this compare to some of the more budget options like godspeed or CXR? I asked this question before, but now armed with some data, is this good to swap in the stage 2 map?

Stock ST intercooler weighs 6lbs.
RS intercooler is 10lbs.

After removing the shutters, the top radiator shroud, and the that bumper support piece, actually removed 3 pounds off the front end. Also, the stock intercooler isn't cooling down. I think the grill shutter closes on it when you get to highway speeds.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The RS intercooler is better, but no where near as efficient as, say, a CP-e lightweight. What were you charge temps during the pulls for the RS intercooler?

Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune really isn't good, or recommended in the long run.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RS intercooler is better, but no where near as efficient as, say, a CP-e lightweight. What were you charge temps during the pulls for the RS intercooler?

Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune really isn't good, or recommended in the long run.
See the blue line in the plot. Peak is about 25 deg over ambient.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
815 Posts
I think with my ESP intercooler on a 3rd gear pull, the temps went up around 4 degrees. So.. while the RS IC is definitely better than the ST IC, it's still nowhere near as good as an aftermarket unit.

As you said, though... not bad for $75.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I think the grill shutters do close at highway speeds, there should be an item you can monitor to see if they are open or closed. Its all in the name of fuel efficiency, forcing the air around the car is less drag than allowing it to pass through the engine.

·
2,069 Posts
Thanks for sharing those logs on top of one another, its nice to see especially since i was considering going this route in the beginning. I still would be leery of a 25 above ambient charge air temp on a stage 2 tune thats tailored to aftermarket intercoolers which tend to keep things at a constant rate above ambient.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@rippledabs Thanks for doing all the work and sharing the data!
I found a guy that is going to give me his old IC, I just need to pay for shipping!

I am curious what you used to mount the IC to the car?

If you could share specifics it would be extremely helpful!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, sorry, ben MIA for a while. I just made a bracket that bolted to the stock active grill shutter location. I then make a connecting rod on the bottom that connect to the lower rad mount. A few youtube videos out there with similar mounting.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ah, sorry, ben MIA for a while. I just made a bracket that bolted to the stock active grill shutter location. I then make a connecting rod on the bottom that connect to the lower rad mount. A few youtube videos out there with similar mounting.

Same here. Pretty easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts