Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was wondering if anyone has added small lights to places like the door handles, door pockets, maybe cup holders to the ST2 package, since I couldn't swing an ST3. Ifg a anybody has some nice lighting write ups on interior lighting. Would like to see! Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So was wondering if anyone has added small lights to places like the door handles, door pockets, maybe cup holders to the ST2 package, since I couldn't swing an ST3. Ifg a anybody has some nice lighting write ups on interior lighting. Would like to see! Thanks.
Why not just buy the accessory ambient lighting kit? Ive been thinking about it for my ST1 along with the light up door sill plates.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the OEM lighting kit is rubbish, the colors are weak and washed out and not worth the price. I bough RGB strips, wire, connectors and a BT controller all for less than $50 and went to town...

it was a lot of work soldering connectors and getting placement right (not to mention getting a wire into each front door...) but the results are night and day better than the system my wife has on her Escape Ti...

IMG_20170328_134758.jpg

first I mesured and cut down the RGB strip down to the smaller sizes I wanted and then soldered connectors to the strips

IMG_20170328_134816.jpg

shrink wrapped the ends

IMG_20170328_135517.jpg

cut strips out of ABS for the foot well areas and stuck the strips to the stiffer ABS

IMG_20170329_015109.jpg

wrapped all the wires in fuzzy tesa tape so that glue would stick to it real good and hold it all to the door

IMG_20170329_144532.jpg

drilled three holes in the door release housing and filled holes with clear epoxy and glues the strip to the top (three LEDs is the smallest segments that you can cut the strip into)

IMG_20170329_152814.jpg

then also drilled a hole into the pocket and stuck a strip on the inside edge there too. all the double sticky tape that comes on these strips is terrible and wont stick so I rubbed it all off and used my own high strength 3m tape body tape to hold all the strips. then there is a RGB controller that you can control with an app on your ohone anytime you want to make changes, or even change the mode like to flashing, color changing, "breathing" or just to beat and change to the music.

·
Registered
216 Posts
the OEM lighting kit is rubbish, the colors are weak and washed out and not worth the price. I bough RGB strips, wire, connectors and a BT controller all for less than $50 and went to town...

it was a lot of work soldering connectors and getting placement right (not to mention getting a wire into each front door...) but the results are night and day better than the system my wife has on her Escape Ti...

View attachment 281705

first I mesured and cut down the RGB strip down to the smaller sizes I wanted and then soldered connectors to the strips

View attachment 281713

shrink wrapped the ends

View attachment 281721

cut strips out of ABS for the foot well areas and stuck the strips to the stiffer ABS

View attachment 281729

wrapped all the wires in fuzzy tesa tape so that glue would stick to it real good and hold it all to the door

View attachment 281737

drilled three holes in the door release housing and filled holes with clear epoxy and glues the strip to the top (three LEDs is the smallest segments that you can cut the strip into)

View attachment 281745

then also drilled a hole into the pocket and stuck a strip on the inside edge there too. all the double sticky tape that comes on these strips is terrible and wont stick so I rubbed it all off and used my own high strength 3m tape body tape to hold all the strips. then there is a RGB controller that you can control with an app on your ohone anytime you want to make changes, or even change the mode like to flashing, color changing, "breathing" or just to beat and change to the music.
Nice!!!! Looks like a fun little project. School me up here. What is RGB and where do I get them? What BT (Blue Tooth?) controller did you get to go with these? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
RGB(Red, Green, and Blue) is tri colored LEDs that when being controlled by a PWM controller can make any color you would like (similar to subpixles on a TV or monitor)

basically I ordered a roll (16') of a solid strip of RGB lights, when I did this job i used a strip with white backed LEDs, now I've been ordering Black backed (the PCB is black) also when doing this in a car, make sure to get 12v strips, they also make 24v witch is better for long runs in a home setup, but the car sues 12v so you dont need a voltage converter to run the controller. also dont get "individually addressable" LEDs as thats a whole different world. also when choosing LED strips, they are not all the same, you want to make sure that the LEDs are 5050 RGB (biggest and brightest) and that they are high density (again the higher the density the brighter the strips). most strips don't say if they are high or low density, so high density will have 300 LEDs per 5 meters(16.5 feet), and low density will have 150 LEDs per 5 meters. and if you dont want them super bright, they can be turned down as much as you want through the app
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NUXYDM0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3S65QBAP09FLP&colid=1C00SR5LLEXIV

then this is the BT controller (yes, it connects to your phone via BlueTooth and has an app as the interface). it runs off of 12v so you just run power to it a,d then you need to run 4 conductor wire from the controller to the strips.
https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Blu...&qid=1507694607&sr=8-6&keywords=bluetooth+RGB

then some 4 wire...
https://www.amazon.com/EvZ-Color-Ex...rd_wg=QCzuY&psc=1&refRID=SDR3AVPHR7HJ4X5G9W2F

and some of the connectors that I used to solder to the wire and the strips...
https://www.amazon.com/Sienoc-Conne...=8-10&keywords=4+pin+male+to+female+connector

there are a lot more options than just this, like snap on connectors, short wires with the 4 pins already attached, but since I'm good with a solder iron I just bough a lot of just the raw components since I make a lot of little customized adapters.
I was big into RGB before RGB was the "cool" thing like thats showing up in all sorts of computer parts.

heres some of my other projects all using the same or very similar stuff

20130506_214452.jpg

my office PC

20150126_190635.jpg

home theater system

IMG_20170503_041000.jpg

IMG_20170503_041032.jpg

my friends SlingShot

IMG00113-20101020-2229.jpg

and my first RGB creation ever, my modded Xbox 360.

·
Registered
216 Posts
RGB(Red, Green, and Blue) is tri colored LEDs that when being controlled by a PWM controller can make any color you would like (similar to subpixles on a TV or monitor)

basically I ordered a roll (16') of a solid strip of RGB lights, when I did this job i used a strip with white backed LEDs, now I've been ordering Black backed (the PCB is black) also when doing this in a car, make sure to get 12v strips, they also make 24v witch is better for long runs in a home setup, but the car sues 12v so you dont need a voltage converter to run the controller. also dont get "individually addressable" LEDs as thats a whole different world. also when choosing LED strips, they are not all the same, you want to make sure that the LEDs are 5050 RGB (biggest and brightest) and that they are high density (again the higher the density the brighter the strips). most strips don't say if they are high or low density, so high density will have 300 LEDs per 5 meters(16.5 feet), and low density will have 150 LEDs per 5 meters. and if you dont want them super bright, they can be turned down as much as you want through the app
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NUXYDM0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3S65QBAP09FLP&colid=1C00SR5LLEXIV

then this is the BT controller (yes, it connects to your phone via BlueTooth and has an app as the interface). it runs off of 12v so you just run power to it a,d then you need to run 4 conductor wire from the controller to the strips.
https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Blu...&qid=1507694607&sr=8-6&keywords=bluetooth+RGB

then some 4 wire...
https://www.amazon.com/EvZ-Color-Ex...rd_wg=QCzuY&psc=1&refRID=SDR3AVPHR7HJ4X5G9W2F

and some of the connectors that I used to solder to the wire and the strips...
https://www.amazon.com/Sienoc-Conne...=8-10&keywords=4+pin+male+to+female+connector

there are a lot more options than just this, like snap on connectors, short wires with the 4 pins already attached, but since I'm good with a solder iron I just bough a lot of just the raw components since I make a lot of little customized adapters.
I was big into RGB before RGB was the "cool" thing like thats showing up in all sorts of computer parts.

heres some of my other projects all using the same or very similar stuff

View attachment 281809

my office PC

View attachment 281817

home theater system

View attachment 281825

View attachment 281833

my friends SlingShot

View attachment 281841

and my first RGB creation ever, my modded Xbox 360.

Man, thanks for the information!!!! So just so I'm clear. All the strips are connected to each other via the 4 wire, then run into the controller, correct? All this is new to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Man, thanks for the information!!!! So just so I'm clear. All the strips are connected to each other via the 4 wire, then run into the controller, correct? All this is new to me. Thanks.
yes, you can either split off different strands of 4 wire to each strip, or you can solder connectors onto each end of the strips and daisy chain them together, or of course any combination of the two.

for my setup I have three different lines of 4 wire coming out of the controller, one for the left, one for the right, and a 3rd I'm going to use later to add some for the rear doors and center console. out of the controller it runs to the inside of the footwell strip, and then the outside of the footwell strip in through the door harness to another connector (so that I can remove the door panel when necessary) and then it splits off to the 3 LED segment for the door release lever housing, then down to a foot long or so strip that is taped to the inside of the door pocket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody else have some ideas? I'm not to good with taking very delicate door panels and trim pieces apart. @STSnail do you have any other details on removal and wiring that you can send to me?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anybody else have some ideas? I'm not to good with taking very delicate door panels and trim pieces apart. @STSnail do you have any other details on removal and wiring that you can send to me?
I do not, however I plan on trying some of this before the end of the year. Ill take pictures and do a small write up on pulling panels when I do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@1LoudST, you should consider getting all those things together, making a kit with instructions and selling them. I would totally be interested in picking up a set! Let me know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@1LoudST, you should consider getting all those things together, making a kit with instructions and selling them. I would totally be interested in picking up a set! Let me know.

+1 to that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts