Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in another thread that my wife recently bought me some Adams & Meguiar's detailing gear I've been wanting but was too cheap to buy. I've included some thoughts on the product, a picture of what I used along with a few pictures I took this evening after finishing using on the ST.

I layered the product as suggested by Adams.
1. Meguiar's clay bar using Meguiars Mirror Glaze as a lubricant
2. Adams Brilliant Glaze
3. Adams Liquid Paint Sealant
4. Adams Brilliant Glaze
5. Adams Americana Wax

This was my first time claying a car so I don't have much to which I can compare the Meguiars clay. Nevertheless, it seemed to work fine. I could see specks of tar and grime easily come off the paint that wasn't otherwise removed with regular washing.

The Brilliant Glaze made the car look great after claying. As the kids were coming in and out of the house they commented on how shiny the car looked. Maybe they were just trying to make Dad feel good? I doubt it!!

All of the product was easy to apply; however, the Glaze was surprisingly difficult to remove by hand. For a product they espouse to use as much as you'd like and suggest using it every couple of washes, it's definitely not a casual wiping experience.

The Paint Sealant was even more challenging to wipe off by hand than was the Glaze. It probably took 4-5 times longer to wipe off than apply. I'd scour the car with a light and consistently find a small spot here or there that wasn't adequately wiped. During the latter parts of the car, I decided I'm definitely going to use a buffer the next time I use it to seal a car. Getting a buffer will make me that much more likely to frequently use the Glaze since it's not at all relaxing to remove by hand. The Glaze does make the car look quite good.

The Americana Wax was definitely the easiest of the three Adams products to remove. I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax until this time - probably 4-5 times total. Americana was definitely easier to remove by hand when compared to the Meguiar's product.

I think it also looks much better than the Meguiar's product. Nobody ever commented how shiny the car looked after waxing with Meguiar's - even though I think it makes a car look pretty good. That said, everyone in my house made comment about how good the car looked with Americana looked as they were passing through. My 20 year old daughter spent ~5 minutes walking around it to see which section provided the clearest reflection.

The Internet consensus is Adams Patriot wax produces a much better shine than Americana but the Patriot wax doesn't last nearly as long. I find the Americana to be pretty impressive.

Pictures......

Reactions: elyk864 and gemery

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. Somehow your pics do not show up for me, but based on your post you were able to get good results with doing everything by hand so that is impressive! Do they recommend these steps to be done once per year and then regular waxing every 3 months?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@CesarST You’re not missing much by not seeing the pictures. The lighting stinks and it’s hard to see much of the product’s goodness after application onto the car. I almost didn’t post them but thought I had to post pictures if I’m reviewing detailing product!

Adam’s says the sealant should last 6-9 months. I assume if your car is parked in a garage most of the time, you could expect to get more life out of the sealant &/or wax.

The Americana Wax is said to last ~3 months.

The Brilliant Glaze is said to wear away after a week or two.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The pictures are now showing up for me and all I can say is wow it looks very impressive even in the shade you can clearly see the reflection of the basketball hoop on the 3rd pic. Your car looks awesome and great color too!

Yes my car is my daily driver but, it's usually in the garage so I may get a full year of coverage using the products you stated above. I also have an old porter cable 6-inch polisher that I could use to help a little with the steps, but then I'm afraid to use it incorrectly and burn the paint. My car is black so any little imperfection shows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look into Mothers Synthetic Clay. I picked one up a few weeks ago before I detailed mine and claying took half the time and you dont have to mess with detail sprays or worry about hitting a spot that's not lubricated. If doing it by hand that is, like I usually do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts