Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read in a few places about people disabling (removing?) The active shutters in the grill, and am wondering why someone would do this particular mod. What are the perceived benefits?

·
Registered
862 Posts
When you upgrade the intercooler there is no longer room for the ags or the black plastic that they mount to. Getting rid of the ags is actually beneficial because it allows for more air flow therefore reducing the charge inlet temps. The cooler the charged air the more power you will make. That's why they came out with the nitrous halo kits that people would mount to their intercooler. Hope that helps. Take a log that was done in the summer and take a log that was done in the winter and look at the difference in the power night and day difference.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
I've read in a few places about people disabling (removing?) The active shutters in the grill, and am wondering why someone would do this particular mod. What are the perceived benefits?
Usually we remove them to fit a bigger FMIC, but in also allows more airflow to the OE FMIC. Also they tend to break easily anyway usually in the shut position which restricts the flow. The only added thing they were ever there for was for aerodynamics/gas mileage. I don't think anyone has ever noticed a difference without them though. I certainly haven't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, since I'm not really going to mod my car any I'll leave the shutters alone. Appreciate the info though. Since this car is my commuter I will choose higher temps vs lower milage any day.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Can't wait to tear mine out, throw on a snorkel and FMIC. Might even pull them out before I add those, my radiator shrouding is getting hung up on bottom AGS slat. Probably all it'll take is a free spring afternoon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like the idea of the shutters. I have found that mine freeze 41% open when the temp goes below 32 degs F. That is a bummer that they don't work when I really want them to. So I am forced to upgrade to a CP-e Lightweight intercooler and take the stinkin freezin shutters out.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I pulled mine out to put in a new IC last weekend along w/ a snorkel (I zip tied the motor so I wouldn't get a code). However I personally wouldn't pull the bumper just to remove the shutters - so I agree if you're staying stock, just leave them in there.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks, since I'm not really going to mod my car any I'll leave the shutters alone. Appreciate the info though. Since this car is my commuter I will choose higher temps vs lower milage any day.
If I had a dollar for every guy/girl on here that said "they weren't really going to mod their car" I'd have more mods on mine lol! Seriously though to each their own, but IMO if you choose mpg's over performance you're doing it wrong with this platform. So be careful not to get bit by the mod bug cuz it's more contagious than Zika!

·
Registered
395 Posts
IMO if you choose mpg's over performance you're doing it wrong with this platform. So be careful not to get bit by the mod bug cuz it's more contagious than Zika!
With a max of ~280-300 whp without going big turbo, its perfectly acceptable to go for better gas mileage instead of dropping $3k on BT. If it gets better than 20mpg city its an economy car in my eyes.

With all that being said, the modding is addictive and once you start you likely won't stop. Just do smart mods that won't affect gas mileage much or get two tunes, one economy that limits boost and one performance.

Reactions: Dean the Machine

·
Registered
768 Posts
...or get two tunes, one economy that limits boost and one performance.
Would an "economy" tune do anything other than limit boost? Isn't boost controlled fairly well with the right foot?? LOL..hahahhah!

The shutter system is actually a pretty neat system and would be awesome if it worked well, worked like it's supposed to, and did't break on these cars. Closed in winter to keep the motor warm would be more efficient and aerodynamic, full open at WOT, etc, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, from what i have read, it doesent matter if you live shutters or not on thr car?

I'm new owner of a 12 reg, 13 ST with coming parts for stage2. Wagner Intercooler, revo intake, forge bov (closed), milltek 3" catless downpipe (catback remains stock) and revo stg2 map. And now i dont know if i should remove or leave these shutters on the cat while i am at it (for ic mounting).... Remove or not?

During winter we have well below 0 degrees celsius for longer period of time and summers do reach above 30 and also 35 the same....

·
Registered
226 Posts
So, from what i have read, it doesent matter if you live shutters or not on thr car?

I'm new owner of a 12 reg, 13 ST with coming parts for stage2. Wagner Intercooler, revo intake, forge bov (closed), milltek 3" catless downpipe (catback remains stock) and revo stg2 map. And now i dont know if i should remove or leave these shutters on the cat while i am at it (for ic mounting).... Remove or not?

During winter we have well below 0 degrees celsius for longer period of time and summers do reach above 30 and also 35 the same....
Most intercooler upgrades will require removal of shutters to make room.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If I had a dollar for every guy/girl on here that said "they weren't really going to mod their car" I'd have more mods on mine lol! Seriously though to each their own, but IMO if you choose mpg's over performance you're doing it wrong with this platform. So be careful not to get bit by the mod bug cuz it's more contagious than Zika!
You got that right! I "accidentally" purchased a cold air intake within the first month....now 8 months after I'm almost stage 3..oops!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I pulled mine out to put in a new IC last weekend along w/ a snorkel (I zip tied the motor so I wouldn't get a code). However I personally wouldn't pull the bumper just to remove the shutters - so I agree if you're staying stock, just leave them in there.
Have you checked for codes since doing that? I did the same thing, but I'm getting a code that says something about a limit error on the AGS. I guess it's expecting to see a hard stop and the fact that the AGS motor is turning freely is causing the code.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Have you checked for codes since doing that? I did the same thing, but I'm getting a code that says something about a limit error on the AGS. I guess it's expecting to see a hard stop and the fact that the AGS motor is turning freely is causing the code.
No, I haven't checked for codes at this point. I'll check this weekend when I see it again - but the codes I've heard about are the reason I decided to zip it up. Only added about 10 minutes to the install...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts