Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was researching air filters and found this interesting article. It doesn't appear to be biased. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I would rather see dyno figures with the different filters. If a different filter would give me 10 hp with similar filtration I might pull the trigger. Otherwise I'll stick with stock.

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
462 Posts
Any filter that flows more air is not going to filter it as well. That's just basic filter design. This is, of course, assuming equal filter area.
This ^

If you increase flow with out increasing unit area of the filter, all you are doing is letting in more crap. If you really need more air, get a BIGGER filter, not one with less element.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
if you aren't tuned then you don't need an air filter. will do nothing for you. an air filter alone will give you 0 increase regardless of the marketing lies

I am not a fan of any oil based filters, I do like the AEM filter by K&N because it is dry and so easy to keep clean. spray it off with the hose and your good.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have no idea about this Ford engine, but I ran a K&N intake and filter in my Honda for 10 years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This debate is almost as old as the internet itself. There tons of solid evidence out there that proves the shortcomings of oiled filters, and yet they still sell like hot cakes. Tons of people have posted oil analysis samples with increased silicone readings (among other bad things) while running oiled filters. And like many have stated, until the filter is the chokepoint or limiting factor in the intake system, an upgrade buys you nothing. In fact, I'd even argue (especially if still running the stock intake) an aftermarket filter is of no benefit even with a tune; because like I said, it's not the limiting factor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This ^

If you increase flow with out increasing unit area of the filter, all you are doing is letting in more crap. If you really need more air, get a BIGGER filter, not one with less element.
Compared to a stock filter with a completely closed end, the green filter and other similar filters do add extra area since the end is a cone.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Would it theoretically be safer to run the AEM Dryflow filter vs an oil filter like the green filter?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you aren't tuned then you don't need an air filter. will do nothing for you. an air filter alone will give you 0 increase regardless of the marketing lies

I am not a fan of any oil based filters, I do like the AEM filter by K&N because it is dry and so easy to keep clean. spray it off with the hose and your good.
so without a tune I have nothing to gain by allowing more airflow?

·
Registered
386 Posts
so without a tune I have nothing to gain by allowing more airflow?
True. And even with a tune there`s not much to be had but sound. Make sure to follow oil change intervals religiously or sooner with a high flow filter.
Oil silica content (sand) build up is inevitable with a high flow filter. Meaning, it will wear on your bearings faster unless changing oil more frequently.

BTW the OEM filter delivers more than enough air.

Admittedly sound is a big factor, we all bought this car for its feel and fun factor. We drive this thing because we wanted to, do not shame yourself for wanting more sound. I don`t :) (except for loud crackles and catless which is just silly). The subdued whoosh of the re circulation valve from an open filter makes it more fun, hands down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts