Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was turning in a parking lot, in neutral, and going about 3-5mph, and i changed it to 2nd gear and i blipped the gas a tiny bit( i shouldnt have but ive gotten used to rev matching), and the car started to jerk ALOT but it didnt stall since i quickly pressed on the clutch and changed to neutral again. How much damage did this do? I've been driving stick for a month now since i got the brand new st and I almost never stall now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
So I was turning in a parking lot, in neutral, and going about 3-5mph, and i changed it to 2nd gear and i blipped the gas a tiny bit( i shouldnt have but ive gotten used to rev matching), and the car started to jerk ALOT but it didnt stall since i quickly pressed on the clutch and changed to neutral again. How much damage did this do? I've been driving stick for a month now since i got the brand new st and I almost never stall now.
You didn't do any damage, all this was is simply the car was trying NOT to stall and it was lugging itself. It probably felt like a train chugging and bucking you forward a few times right? You're fine, it is simply what happens when you drop the clutch going too slow for a gear at too high an rpm. At 3-5mph in 2nd gear the car is going to want to stall. So if you give it more gas and quickly let it out it'll probably want to stall even harder. No worries!

·
Registered
135 Posts
You'll be okay, there is nothing to worry about.

·
Administrator
11,922 Posts
Ya it was the most severe jerk i've felt driving the car.
Take that out of context!

Not a whole lot of miles on that passenger seat I take it?

All in good fun, yeah its fine. No worries mate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We all do that a couple times while learning manual.

One time I was cruising down a road at like 70km/h when I realized I needed to change gears (this was in an old Civic). But when I tried, I messed it up so bad that my car started jerking so hard that I thought I was about to be launched into space. I'm sure it looked ridiculous from the outside. Anyway, the car behind me started leaving tons of space between us haha. Moral of the story: it's only embarrassing until the people who saw it are gone. After that it's just something you learn from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya it was a rookie mistake of me. Shes got almost 3000miles in month and a half, thats why i get very worried on even the smallest mistakes while driving it. Still needs plenty of accessories and simple mods ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
At least you didn't downshift into 2nd while on the on ramp to the highway, hit the rev limiter and have the wheels stretch because the car was going faster than the gear would allow..... Ya I did that learning my first time...... lol nothing happened to the car but my pride took a hit haha!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
At least you didn't downshift into 2nd while on the on ramp to the highway, hit the rev limiter and have the wheels stretch because the car was going faster than the gear would allow..... Ya I did that learning my first time...... lol nothing happened to the car but my pride took a hit haha!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
I still miss shift from time to time, but I always seem to realize it before I release the clutch. I really need those solid shifter bushings, short shifting sucks on stock rubber bushings.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, like they said, no harm done. Everyone has probably done this when they were still learning how to drive a manual. Uh, I mean everyone but me of course!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think there is a driver out there who didn't do what you did when they were learning, and all the engines survived. No biggie.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't think there is a driver out there who didn't do what you did when they were learning, and all the engines survived. No biggie.
I learned driving my Dad's car which ended up being my first car. I made that thing lug/hop and spin more then I care to remember. Then my brother learned on the same car. Then I drove it for 8 years on the same engine/trans/and original clutch to 216K before I sold it and bought my ST. I sold it because it was rusting out. I'm still not amazing at driving manual, but I could drive my old car really well without when the clutch lost pressure a few times. I still suck when casually driving, I like to shift GENTLY both on cars and motorcycles, once in a blue moon its not enough at it pops back out of gear after a second or two.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In general, cars now-adays are smarter than most of the people driving them (myself included). They're pretty good about refusing to damage themselves, or knowing how to prevent damage in certain situations. You have to go out of your way to damage things in modern vehicles through basic use.

I'm glad about that, too. I go back and forth from my 6-speed '14 ST to my 5-speed '02 Mini Cooper. I was cruising on the highway in my Mini and couldn't figure out why I couldn't shift into 6th, which was actually reverse in the shift pattern. Glad I didn't hit -R- at 65 mph...

·
Registered
1 Posts
None

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You have micro-stressed the engine. You have reduced it's theoretical life span from 800,000 miles to 795,000 miles. Shame on you!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You have micro-stressed the engine. You have reduced it's theoretical life span from 800,000 miles to 795,000 miles. Shame on you!
I'd be surprised if even 5k miles past 795k would even be the result of such a small occurrence :lol: I almost feel like the engineers build a motor as though you are supposed to do this a few times or else the engine WON'T last as long :lol:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You will be fine. Do this same thing with a spec 3.5 lmao. It will feel like ur on a horse lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
In general, cars now-adays are smarter than most of the people driving them (myself included). They're pretty good about refusing to damage themselves, or knowing how to prevent damage in certain situations. You have to go out of your way to damage things in modern vehicles through basic use.

I'm glad about that, too. I go back and forth from my 6-speed '14 ST to my 5-speed '02 Mini Cooper. I was cruising on the highway in my Mini and couldn't figure out why I couldn't shift into 6th, which was actually reverse in the shift pattern. Glad I didn't hit -R- at 65 mph...
I've done the same with my 5-speed Sky. An unfortunate -R- positioning!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts