Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ForumRunner_20160622_181723.png

HORRIBLE day.
Going down two lane one way street. About 20 mph.
Woman in right lane attempts a left turn in front of me (left lane).

Bad luck with left turners. My BMW got totaled because some ... stopped suddenly decides to make a left turn right in front of me, even though there was a designated left turn lane at the intersection. This was in a 55 zone off the coast of California.

The car drives fine, but it's no longer new ;( Accident/damage will be now be linked with this car.

My insurance company (21st Century) said that the car will be fixed to new.
However, I will loose out in value of the car because of accident.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
My advice is to get the car fixed via HER insurance, and enjoy the crap out of your ST.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Seek a diminished value settlement from her insurance. And make sure they check the alignment and suspension components.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Accident history can be a negative, yes. But documenting the damage/repairs may virtually eliminate any reduction in value. This could be a simple repair (replace two bolt on body pieces, paint, wheel/tire, verify alignment). If the alignment is ok, then damage was all cosmetic and fixed by parts replacement. Loss of value stems from not knowing the extent of repairs, quality/source of parts used, etc.

When buying used, I always favored original faded paint with scrapes and dents over something that was dent free and freshly repainted, unless there were pictures of the repair areas and I could be confident the paint was done properly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Via her insurance √
Suspension/alignment √
Diminished value √
Document damage √

Enjoy the crap out of it√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√

But my gut still churns. MY BABY! First new car, ughhhh!
But all good! No one hurt. Including my two fur factories (dogs).

Thanks for advise.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had an accident with my WRX, far worse damage than this appears to be. Had all repairs documented and when I traded it in the accident did not hurt the value. Just make sure everything is taken care of by a reputable shop and keep all documentation and you should be ok. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Same boat. Hit and run on my parked car. Was 20 days old. Has been in the shop more than in my driveway. :(
That sucks! Only 20 days! The horror.

Was involved in hit and run on my motorcycle couple years back. No more two wheelers for me. LOVE those things, but don't want to become a cripple.

I am thinking of just a rough fix for my damages (paintless dent fix etc...).
Couple of reasons:
1) Take check from insurance. Rough fix and use remainder for tune. Mountune MP275 (+ $)? Procal and new tires?
Proper fix also takes too long. Quoted at one week. Rent a car for that long, BS.
2) I hate having a new car! Probably never will go new again. With my OCD personality, it's TOO stressful. Being careful is fine, but if it's getting in the way of enjoying the "thing", not worth it.
After accident, I kind of exhaled lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. Looks cosmetic. Definitely have the control arms inspected. Are people just not paying attention anymore? Or is it this car? I've owned my 2013 for less than a year, and I've had 4 close calls where someone occupying the lane next to me, decides they want my lane - with me in it. Rarely happened when I was driving the beater Sunfire. May we need loud exhaust. Like the cycle guys. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. Looks cosmetic. Definitely have the control arms inspected. Are people just not paying attention anymore? Or is it this car? I've owned my 2013 for less than a year, and I've had 4 close calls where someone occupying the lane next to me, decides they want my lane - with me in it. Rarely happened when I was driving the beater Sunfire. May we need loud exhaust. Like the cycle guys. :)
I actually have a louder exhaust and still have people randomly deciding they want to share the lane with me....extra intimately

Then again, people around here are stupid drivers so no surprise there

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There goes my idea.
I was going to get just the quarter panel replaced and painted and use the balance of $3000 (estimate) for a Mountune MP275 tune. Since the other damages are superficial.

But since I am buying the car, it will be a two party check with Ford as the second party. And Ford will only release the check when EVERYTHING is repaired.

Grrr! I hate the idea that it's going to take over a week to fix! Thoughts of all those grubby hands on my baby. Yuck!

Oh well.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Brake cleaner or something with alcohol content in it can take off the paint marks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Brake cleaner will ruin the paint. Please don't use that.

Hit it with a clay bar first and see what you can remove. You can try Goo Gone as well (NOT GOOF OFF) to remove paint transfer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brake cleaner will ruin the paint. Please don't use that.

Hit it with a clay bar first and see what you can remove. You can try Goo Gone as well (NOT GOOF OFF) to remove paint transfer.
Thanks for info.
But it's seems I have no other option but to get everything fixed to new.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Thanks for info.
But it's seems I have no other option but to get everything fixed to new.
Yeah, the clay would just make it less noticeable until you were able to get it in for paint.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When I first read this thread I was sympathetic with the OP. I love my car and I would be more than a little upset if it got damaged. But my sympathy ended as soon as the OP decided that he would try to defraud the insurance company and instead of using the proceeds to fix the damage, he would rather buy a MOD.

The purpose of insurance is not to purchase new toys. It is to make the person who suffered loss, whole. And quite frankly, I'm a little bit more than offended that I have to pay increased premiums because people like the OP see a minor accident as an opportunity to cash in on money they are not entitled to.

Be thankful that you weren't injured. Get your car fixed. Stop asking forum members on suggestions to fraudulently enrich your self because your car got a couple of scratches.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Before I had an 02 grey focus and never had extreme problems, but ever since I got this BRIGHT RED ST, I constantly have people pulling out in front of me begging to be T-boned. The worst case was when a car had to take a -< shaped turn and I kept a good distance that the people on the adjacent road could see me easily , this girl waits for the car to turn and as I'm about to drive past she pulls out and turns in front of me...

15 minutes ago I was driving through an almost empty parking lot and there were no parked cars near this woman and she didn't even look and just started reversing when I was 10ft away. I always drive slowly through parking lots as you should, because if I see a car reversing I stop since they usually can't see with cars parked on their side, but I have no idea what this woman's excuse was.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
When I first read this thread I was sympathetic with the OP. I love my car and I would be more than a little upset if it got damaged. But my sympathy ended as soon as the OP decided that he would try to defraud the insurance company and instead of using the proceeds to fix the damage, he would rather buy a MOD.

The purpose of insurance is not to purchase new toys. It is to make the person who suffered loss, whole. And quite frankly, I'm a little bit more than offended that I have to pay increased premiums because people like the OP see a minor accident as an opportunity to cash in on money they are not entitled to.

Be thankful that you weren't injured. Get your car fixed. Stop asking forum members on suggestions to fraudulently enrich your self because your car got a couple of scratches.
I appreciate your thoughts, maybe I was wrong in my logic.

"Fraudulent" (?) I have not exaggerated the damages or added more to increase pay-out. The insurance Co and body shop decide the limits, I don't. I am trying to maximize my payout by asking for all new parts, but that is a insurance provision for new cars. I think anyone with a new car would want new parts, not bondo or refurbishing. But I could be wrong.
Point being money payed out to me will be the same and how it is used doesn't change that.

This is my first experience with an accident on a brand new car. Previously, I have owned my cars outright, other than this one and the one before that. So, my experience has been payout checks were issued only to me. Which I usually did with as I wanted.
Maybe this could be abused where people get into fraudulent accidents, and use funds for party favors.

This is my first experience with a two party check which protects the lien holder. Which I feel is proper.
This is where my thought of paying off the car, in order to do as I want came about.

I also contacted Ford to explain my situation and what I wanted to do with the funds to see if I had any other options. No.
I did same with both insurance companies. My cards were on the table.

Even if the car is put back to the way it was (which it will never be), I have a whole lot of time and energy expended. And money for miles and gas. Equating to money I will never see.

A whole week without my ST is the worst. And thinking what might happen while it's out of my hands disturbs me. So, I thought fix what is absolutely necessary, which will shorten time in shop and enjoy the rest of funds for other things for car.
I would GLADLY go back to not having the accident.

Excuses? Maybe.
But I had to explain myself because I DO try to conduct myself in a non-kinky manner. Not always successful. Because I feel fraud is one of, if not the biggest SUCKS of our economy and psyche.

Got some soul searching to do.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts