Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be taking the ST from Detroit to Phoneix starting tomorrow and will be driving for up to 13 hours at a time. Which gagues should I keep up on the AP for a long road trip? I know oil temp, but what else.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ignition corrections for cylinders 1-4 and maybe OAR? Your gas will probably very quite a bit state by state and keeping an eye on those should help you judge the quality of it.

Reactions: Mbiro594

·
Registered
125 Posts
I typically do the ign corr 1 & 4 instead of all of them, someone who I trusted recommended that. Definitely OAR as JeffKill said, consistency might be a problem. Maybe oil pressure as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
The problem with gauges is that they are a real-time or near real-time indicator of something. It's not trending or logging, it may show a peak value, but from what time interval and when? It's not going to tell you STOP something is wrong. If anything it'll give you a false sense of security, or worse a false sense of danger. e.g. OMG I saw a negative correction, my car is gonna blow up!

They are eye candy at best IMO on a daily driver. We're not driving race cars on the street with forged internals tuned to the ragged edge. ;)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'd do knock counts on all four cylinders and ignition corrections on 1 and 4.

OAR just tells you after the fact what you'll already see from the knock counts and ignition corrections!

If you are romping on it at 3K rpm and above and see 1-2 knocks on random cylinders during a pull and ignition corrections of -1.5 or less you should have nothing to worry about.

The center dash oil temp gauge is fine. The output is modeled anyway in both the center gauge and the AP (we have no actual oil temperature sensor), so no need to waste a pane on the AP.

As you get to warmer climates, just make sure the active grill shutters are opening when the car is warmed up and the AC is on.

Enjoy the ride!

All the best,
Mark

Reactions: Mbiro594

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd do knock counts on all four cylinders and ignition corrections on 1 and 4.

OAR just tells you after the fact what you'll already see from the knock counts and ignition corrections!

If you are romping on it at 3K rpm and above and see 1-2 knocks on random cylinders during a pull and ignition corrections of -1.5 or less you should have nothing to worry about.

The center dash oil temp gauge is fine. The output is modeled anyway in both the center gauge and the AP (we have no actual oil temperature sensor), so no need to waste a pane on the AP.

As you get to warmer climates, just make sure the active grill shutters are opening when the car is warmed up and the AC is on.

Enjoy the ride!

All the best,
Mark
Thanks everyone, Mark. I have an intercooler so I pulled those ****ty shutters and threw them in the trash.

I currently have Ign Corr on all 4 cyls and boost, so it looks like I'll just drop the ignition correction to 1 and 4 cyl's and check out knock on all 4's.

Thanks for the recommendations!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Thanks everyone, Mark. I have an intercooler so I pulled those ****ty shutters and threw them in the trash.

I currently have Ign Corr on all 4 cyls and boost, so it looks like I'll just drop the ignition correction to 1 and 4 cyl's and check out knock on all 4's.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Glad I could help!

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
272 Posts
The problem with gauges is that they are a real-time or near real-time indicator of something. It's not trending or logging, it may show a peak value, but from what time interval and when? It's not going to tell you STOP something is wrong. If anything it'll give you a false sense of security, or worse a false sense of danger. e.g. OMG I saw a negative correction, my car is gonna blow up!

They are eye candy at best IMO on a daily driver. We're not driving race cars on the street with forged internals tuned to the ragged edge. ;)

Lol, this is me. I watch cyl 1-4 and every time I see a negative correction during a pull i have a mini panic attack

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just got my AP, and no matter what I try to do to get different gauges up, all panes still give me the OP Threshold gauge in all panes. What's the deal with that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts