Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of doing a stage 2 upgrade (FMIC and Cobb w/Stratified). My only real concern is how much does this increase maintenance or having to watch the Cobb while driving? This is my daily driver and i don't want to have to be monitoring things after the tune just to make sure everything is within "good" ranges. I think I'm probably just being paranoid, but figured I'd get a clear answer before I jump into this world of tunes. I don't want to regret it later...

FYI, the car is paid for, and i don't have any plans to sell it (probably for a very long time)...

·
Administrator
11,828 Posts
I'm thinking of doing a stage 2 upgrade (FMIC and Cobb w/Stratified). My only real concern is how much does this increase maintenance or having to watch the Cobb while driving? This is my daily driver and i don't want to have to be monitoring things after the tune just to make sure everything is within "good" ranges. I think I'm probably just being paranoid, but figured I'd get a clear answer before I jump into this world of tunes. I don't want to regret it later...

FYI, the car is paid for, and i don't have any plans to sell it (probably for a very long time)...
Its not the tune per say that forces you to monitor.

Monitoring ign corrections is for safety in general. Lets you know if you are causing LSPI, or if you have crap gas. Which both of these can cause false confidence in your driving and lead to a kaboom.

I keep all 4 cylinder corrections up, and glance at them after a heavy pull, or at red lights. Especially if i switch brands/stations for gas.

Id rather know wtf is going on then bath in ignorance and blow her up.

cough*FRPP*cough

Lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Monitoring it isn't a requirement. However, it's a good idea to keep an eye on things for a while to see if the car, the tune, and your driving are getting along. I've adjusted my driving style a bit because of feedback from my Cobb AP.

Don't be afraid to tune, the AP provides useful information for keeping things healthy. And tuning is the way to...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
One of my buddies (who has blown a ringland...go figure) said to me the one day when I was checking my AP3 driving home "you worry too much about that thing, I would rather just tune it then hide that out of my view unless it's needed again and stop worrying so much." Turns out that tank I filled up with was bad gas and I had to limp it later that day with -6 corrections. Stupid backwater 93.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
On 3 of the last 4 cars I've owned I've never taken it out my box unless I'm changing tunes. I would imagine that is the purpose of it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I also enjoy monitoring. When I get bored of the usual metrics it's fun to switch one to something different. Requested torque is my new favorite. I know now that at WOT my stage 3 93 octane tune requests 383.5 lb-ft of torque!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Other than Air / Fuel and Boost monitors, you really don't need to monitor much (these two gauges give the best snapshot of how your engine is running). I wouldn't look at ign corrections either unless it's a data log. The Min/Max will not give you a complete story as to what is going on. It is nice to have OAR on too just to see if you gas is OK after fill ups.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I tend to watch things pretty closely after a tune update or hardware change. Once I'm happy everything is running well, I tend to only pull the AP out from time to time to check OAR and such like mentioned above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts