Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've ~2500 Miles on my new 2016 Focus.

I'm interested in getting a COBB AP w/ a stratified tune.

Is it true that a factory defect in the engine/drivetrain/etc would rear its ugly head <10k Miles?
-I'm asking because I want to wait before tuning my car before possibly voiding a claim on repairing said engine/transmission.

Using the COBB AP just to datalog (Which I'm interested in even having the car stock), would this potentially void any claims?

Silly question, lets say I do flash a tune into my ECU... how easy is it to flash to stock?
-I've read instances on these forums, where even Stratified themselves suggested to flash to stock, and do 20-30 ignition cycles. I am aware that a certified Ford technician could investigate further and easily find out you're tuned. I know it's dishonest, but if I do flash a tune into my ECU and something happens, I'd rather do it and potentially save 3-4k in expenses.

·
Registered
326 Posts
This is a risk that comes with tuning. There really is no way around it.

A problem could pop up with the engine at any time. However most defects from the factory do show up within the first 10k miles. That is the reason for the warranty. Using the AP just to datalog will not void your warranty as it will not reset your ignition count. Although, dataloging with a stock tune does not really make sense as Ford has programmed the car to run safely.

If you do decide to tune it is very easy to flash to stock, however like you said, the ignition count will also reset to 0. If you bring the car in for warranty work there is a possibility the tech can investigate further and discover that you tuned your car. This could be problematic if you are in for drivetrain work. That being said, most technicians won't even check unless they are extremely suspicious.

I tuned my car at 5k miles. It has been fine since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts