Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a YouTube video today posted by CJ Pony Parts on these new supercoil packs that state an increase in spark energy and also an increase in throttle response and mpg by just swapping to these coil packs. It is also stated to increase your engines efficiency and provide maximum horsepower potential.

My question is has anyone purchased this and seen real world results and numbers? Or has anyone replaced coil packs on their other vehicles and seen performance gain or the increases stated above?

Accel 140670K-4 Focus Coil Pack Supercoil Black ST 2013-16/RS 2016-17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That will never be in my realm of power. Depending on the price of oem coil packs, I could get these if I needed to replace them at some point

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Occasionally after market isn't always "better" than OEM... with that said I have no idea on coils but Accel has been that game for a good while.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Probably doesn't translate well, but I had one of the Accel can-style coils in a 1984 Subaru GL and that sucker ran the quarter mile in 19.6 @ 66mph!

Yeah, so I don't think it did much of anything more than replace the worn stock coil, but it may have been the cause of regular burning of the distributor cap points on the replacement 1983 Subaru I moved it to.

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I dont believe there is any benefit to gain from replacing a good oem coil with any aftermarket coil claiming higher voltage or longer burn time. You have to figure that the ecu monitors and controls spark. Even if the coil is capable of more its only gonna output whatever the ecu wants. The ecu would have to want more kv, unless the oem coil could not handle that request, there would be no benefit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Only way to find out for sure is for someone to do a dyno before and after.

Reactions: jbeatzs31

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would imagine the only way to see any gain even on a dyno is through a tune. Probably one that adjusts and changes spark

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Just installed them on mine and once my 4 port aux is on will tell my tuner about them when doing my top up tune.Time will tell during datalogging if there are any benefits from them.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I dont believe there is any benefit to gain from replacing a good oem coil with any aftermarket coil claiming higher voltage or longer burn time. You have to figure that the ecu monitors and controls spark. Even if the coil is capable of more its only gonna output whatever the ecu wants. The ecu would have to want more kv, unless the oem coil could not handle that request, there would be no benefit.
I think we agree that there is only a benefit only if we are on the edge of capacity of the stock coil packs (which FWIW are the same as in a NA Focus and several other models...)

IMHO, the only potential benefit is if these aftermarket coil packs allow one to run a bigger spark plug gap without worry about misfires.

Yes, the ECU controls the spark, but the bigger the gap, the bigger the voltage required to jump the gap. The higher the voltage of the spark, the less potential for misfires and possibly a better-established flame front. If the coil pack is capable of and does indeed provide a longer-duration spark, that too could help.

We are lucky to have a lot of very smart tuners servicing our platform. All save one recommend smaller spark plug gaps. It would be nice if someone tuned, who bought the Accel or MSD units, opened up their spark plug gap to, say, 0.030" or 0.032" and reported back what their results were. Then we'd know for sure.

We do know that a number of users who reported misfires upon inspection of their plugs found large gap settings.

So, my personal speculation is that in a tuned motor we might very well be getting close to the limits of the stock coil packs. Another 10%-15% of headroom (the percentages are from Accel and MSD) might be helpful.

With best regards,
Mark

Reactions: Nonsequitur

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
It may be apples to oranges, but back when I had my Evo8, I had a cop kit upgrade from the stock coil setup. I was able to increase gap and was running .032" on copper ngk plugs. I was tuned, was datalogging using evoscan, made dyno tests, no real difference other than a few mpg benefits as compared to running what most tuners were recommending-- .026-.027". ymmv.

This was on a stock turbo 23 psi tune on E85 making 350hp/360ft lbs on dyno dynamics dyno

1 - 20 of 22 Posts