Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the ST Academy has had a few classes by now. I have my reservation for late July. For those of you who have recently attended, how about telling us a few stories of what we have to look forward to, tips and things to do ( or not do) while we're there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since no one responded, here’s my report. The Sunday night dinner was alright. You get to meet the head instructor and get the overview of the event. Food was ok, not great. The next day starts with the issuance of your driving suit. There is no good reason to have to wear one other than the mental aspect of doing so. It was 100 degrees with 10% humidity so it did make it warm. The track portion is first. We were divided into two groups of eight split between FOST and FIST. Cars are slightly modified with cat delete exhaust for temperature control, better brake pads, roll cage and four point harness. The instructor leads in a Mustang to teach the line. You rotate so that everyone has a chance to be behind the instructor. Midway through the session you are flagged in to switch cars, so your drive time is split between the two types of cars. Next session is with an instructor in your car for a couple of laps then by yourself. Next session is you ride and the instructor drives. The instructors refer to this as the payback portion for scaring them earlier. Lunch was good, a nice sandwich and salad. The afternoon is the autocross portion. The break the course into three section and the class into three groups. Focus was used on figure eight and the Fiesta used on the 180 handbrake turn and stop box. The cars were modified to have Wilwood rear brakes with special parking brakes which use a large lever to activate. Having to transition from smooth track driving to more abrupt control was a challenge. Using this braking system and sliding was a new experience and I loved it. After learning the three sections it’s all put together. First run is with an instructor, then two more runs, then the timed run. Afterward, you get your diploma and trophy and swag.

They did announce that the Performance School is moving to Charlotte. (The motor park in Tooele is now owned by a Chinese car company.) Some Raptor events will be there for a while. The Edge and Explorer ST programs are more “lifestyle” events and will be elsewhere.

I’m glad I went. So if I win the lottery and get the Raptor and the GT 350, I’ll go again.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Edge and Explorer ST programs will be dodging other school kids in school zones with the finish line being a soccer field parking lot. :disappointed:

jokes ending in 3..2..1...

I went .... years ago to this amazing event! I meet great people and I still know the instructor that rode along with me at the event, he happens to live near the same town I do, go figure.

I would and have pushed everyone to go, it really is a once in a life time event and take advantage of it, charge the plastic card if you have to BUT GO! so worth it and it is free aside from travel, food and boarding. Any other school like this is hundreds of dollars to attend and will not give you the experience this event did.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How do they know you're entitled to the free ST academy? Any proof of vehicle purchase needed and do you have to do this within a certain amount of years or no expiration on your chance.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
How do they know you're entitled to the free ST academy? Any proof of vehicle purchase needed and do you have to do this within a certain amount of years or no expiration on your chance.
Give them a call and give them your VIN.

You have to be the purchase owner of the car, not the 2nd owner.

I would call ASAP and get a dialog started if you plan to go.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Give them a call and give them your VIN.

You have to be the purchase owner of the car, not the 2nd owner.

I would call ASAP and get a dialog started if you plan to go.

Appreciate the input, i had actually just emailed them a few minutes ago. My year of purchase would be this December, as per their website you only have a year from delivery to register. It seems i would only be able to sign up for next year.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Appreciate the input, i had actually just emailed them a few minutes ago. My year of purchase would be this December, as per their website you only have a year from delivery to register. It seems i would only be able to sign up for next year.
I have heard people going after waiting 2 years. they are people and understand life. call and have a chat with them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just jumping in on this post and agreeing with everyone, it is definitely worth giving a call if you are the original purchaser. Even with the slight modifications, it really showed me what the FoST was capable of. You no longer go to Hoonigan HQ for the dinner right? If so, that sucks, because it was so cool seeing all of Ken Block's cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll have a blast. The hotel they recommend has a race ready Porsche Cayman in the lobby and an ice cream machine gets rolled out every evening. In Tooele, the Bonneville Brewery has good food and local beer. Apollo Burgers is a unique local franchise, they pile Pastrami on top of the burger. There's a Wal-Mart in Tooele in case you forget something. You're at 4500 feet elevation so if you're not use to that altitude, plan on some adjustment. You'll be glad you're driving their cars, using up their tires and fuel. There's the option for additional insurance from them. I got it, but its not really necessary. Your morning on the track is structured and not that risky and during the autocross time, you never get above second gear. You'll be impressed how much potential is in our cars that we never get to use.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You'll have a blast. The hotel they recommend has a race ready Porsche Cayman in the lobby and an ice cream machine gets rolled out every evening. In Tooele, the Bonneville Brewery has good food and local beer. Apollo Burgers is a unique local franchise, they pile Pastrami on top of the burger. There's a Wal-Mart in Tooele in case you forget something. You're at 4500 feet elevation so if you're not use to that altitude, plan on some adjustment. You'll be glad you're driving their cars, using up their tires and fuel. There's the option for additional insurance from them. I got it, but its not really necessary. Your morning on the track is structured and not that risky and during the autocross time, you never get above second gear. You'll be impressed how much potential is in our cars that we never get to use.
Highly appreciate the tips and suggestions. I'm taking this opportunity to do a little sight seeing around Salt lake as well since I'll be taking my wife for the weekend prior. I'll post back and add some pictures.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Highly appreciate the tips and suggestions. I'm taking this opportunity to do a little sight seeing around Salt lake as well since I'll be taking my wife for the weekend prior. I'll post back and add some pictures.
We enjoyed Ogden. On Saturday they close off the main street and have food and craft vendors, At Union Station are a couple of museums including the John Moses Browning Museum. IF you're a gun guy don't miss it. On the main street is Smokey's BBQ. Real good, try the burnt end meal, its a full pound and can feed two. North of Ogden is Promontory Point, where the transcontinental railroad was completed. It is the middle of no where but two beautiful old steam trains they have fired up. We drove up to Bonneville Salt Flats, vast area of nothing. Just flat field of salt to the horizon. Not much to see.
If your into such things, on Sunday morning the Mormon Tabernacle Choir does a 30 minute radio/TV show that's open to the public. Its in the convention center that seats 21,000. There's free underground parking. Several hundred voices and full orchestra.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Came back from the Academy and man did i have fun!. Loved pushing the Fost and Fist to their limits. They have a controlled environment but you're really encourage to push the cars at the track. Ford really does a neat thing with the trophies they hand out at the end, they sure went the extra mile to make everyone feel good.
I'm a bit surprised at how loud the Fost was with only the ford racing catback which is supposed to be one if not the most tamed system. Some of the cars needed the brakes bled but for the most part they inspired confidence. Would really love to go back for the RSadrenaline or gt350attack, amazing cars. The town is great, loved how organize and compose traffic was compared to Miami. Great views in the city and Tooele as well, loved the stay. The hotel will receive nothing but praises from me at the time of surveying.

Nothing special but a few pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts