Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather just got hot and I know notice that the AC is not that cold. Its a bit cooler than outside but still not like AC should be. Its almost hot when I turn on Max AC.

Let's say I know nothing about cars and have never fixed anything other than drywall holes and door frames....but I can figure most stuff out, but im not bad at fixing things with a tutorial.....is there any reason at all I should try to solve this? Or should I head to the dealership? Looking to not save some cash here and not get hosed. The dealership has mentioned in the past that it costs over 200$ just to plug the car in to read the car codes and so I've had a flashing light telling me the headlight isnt working properly when its been working properly for a year now, just to avoid a car code reading.

Thanks all,
Mark

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
Autozone
buy AC refrigerant refill can
follow instructions
watch youtube for more help if instructions dont work.

If it stays warm/cool after that, get your cooling system tested for leaks.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
This happened to me last summer. Except after refilling it was gone in minutes because I assumed it was not leaking as I locked over things and thought it was good. Turns out a lin3 was rubbing on the radiator and had a small leak.

Leak test kits are like $15. Easy to use. Refilling after breaking into the system, to repair a leak, requires a vacuum pump and the gage kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright guys, not sure im doing this right.....I got a can of Red Tek 12a 134a refrigerant. Its got a gauge and a hose connected to it. I turned the AC on max and connected the refrigerant hose to (what I think was) the Low pressure port at the passenger side of the engine, just behind the firewall.....then i opened the valve on can to the 'on' position and right away the gauge needle shot past the red line of pressure. So i stopped right away. What did I do? The refrigerant can still shows that its over pressure, but is slowly reducing. Does this mean there is no leak and the system is already full of refrigerant?

I also borrowed a code reader (not ford specific) and noticed there were some announcements about possible AC problems with Focus's, but they seem to only be available service shops?

I also checked the fuses for every AC element in the fusebox and they all work.

What did I do with the refrigerant? Maybe it wasnt the Low pressure port i was trying to fill?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Low and high are different sizes. I really doubt you put it on the wrong side.

Ac on max ac, wait a few (while shaking can), connect (upside-down if possible, unless stated otherwise on can), hold down the button. You should hear the compressor kick on and idle will change pitch when that happens.

If the needle is reading in the red after depressing the valve for a few moments (think 5-10sec without a change) then something else is probably wrong with your ac as this would indicate it has a full or over charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Low and high are different sizes. I really doubt you put it on the wrong side.

Ac on max ac, wait a few (while shaking can), connect (upside-down if possible, unless stated otherwise on can), hold down the button. You should hear the compressor kick on and idle will change pitch when that happens.

If the needle is reading in the red after depressing the valve for a few moments (think 5-10sec without a change) then something else is probably wrong with your ac as this would indicate it has a full or over charge.
ok right. So the reason the gauge read beyond the warning mark is because I didn’t let the fan empty into the system more? The needle was at zero of course before I turned the cans valve to on, but after 1 second it went past the red zone which was 55 psi, so I closed it.

if it’s full and there isn’t a leak, and I checked all the fuses, I’m guessing my next step is taking it to the shop and admitting I don’t know how to fix a/c on car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
Sounds like when you hook up the refrigerant can to the vehicle while it's running and the pressure shoots all the way up that the AC compressor isn't running.

Before doing anything else check to see if the compressor clutch is engaging.

The AC system is really pretty simple.

J

Reactions: pndub isk

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
36 Posts
Shoulda went to a pro man. It’s a precise task, they gotta tap into both the low pressure and the high pressure ports to accurately charge your system. Just measuring the pressure off the low pressure port can lead to overfilling. I was contemplating using AC Pro before reading all the negative reviews online. So I found a guy that did it for $65. He drained and vacuumed the system and refilled it with new R134a and inserted some dye to spot anything as a precaution just in case I have a leak. I also wanted to avoid any place breaking the bank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shoulda went to a pro man. It’s a precise task, they gotta tap into both the low pressure and the high pressure ports to accurately charge your system. Just measuring the pressure off the low pressure port can lead to overfilling. I was contemplating using AC Pro before reading all the negative reviews online. So I found a guy that did it for $65. He drained and vacuumed the system and refilled it with new R134a and inserted some dye to spot anything as a precaution just in case I have a leak. I also wanted to avoid any place breaking the bank.
Ok thats interesting. Sounds like you got it done properly and for a good price.

I took a second run at it after a friend said that the pressure on the gauge would decrease after a few more seconds. I did it again for a bit longer this time and thats exactly what happened. The can emptied at a steady pressure and I have cold air back for now. Cant say anything is accurate in terms of pressure or how long it'll last but appears ok currently. I guess i'll at least find out the severity of the leak either way.

Thanks for all the insight gang, learned a lot from all this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, just super cold. How is this even possible? Probably there something is wrong, or it's made to be like this, haha. I wish I'd have that aircon, but I don't need it anymore. It would be helpful for me one year ago, but now I don't need it because I bought an air conditioner. Thank god that my aircon isn't full of ice like that one. It's awesome that we got air conditioners companies like Cheap Aircon Services Singapore, Chemical Wash & Overhaul by 7Days . This company gave me an excellent opportunity and option. Don't use stuff full of ice, guys:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I’m having a similar problem. My car unfortunately is 1 month out of factory warranty and ford wants $300 just to look at it. I had coolish ac and now I have hot air I hooked up my gauge to low pressure side and it was high with the ac compressor on bled some off ac compressor still on and it’s still hot now the compressor will not kick on and stay on I’ve reached out to several shops and they have suggested the high preasure ac switch is bad any thoughts on how accurate that is and if so worth spending the 85 dollars on fixing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts