Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,077 Posts
I both applaud & encourage innovation, but on this one, respectfully, your off the mark.

I see what you're shooting for here. But as @ddfred mentioned there are much more efficient and beneficial to your goals. Without getting into a discussion of physics I want to point you towards other vehicles in the Formula and even Nascar projects.

Focus on the aerodynamics and weight reduction aspects. Turbochargers are preferred due to the fact that their drive pressure is a byproduct of the combustion process as apposed to a supercharger which requires mechanical efforts to drive.

Don't waste HP to harnesses something that already exists.

But I would really like to hear your thoughts and theories regardless your chosen route.

J

Reactions: NimbusST

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I both applaud & encourage innovation, but on this one, respectfully, your off the mark.

I see what you're shooting for here. But as @ddfred mentioned there are much more efficient and beneficial to your goals. Without getting into a discussion of physics I want to point you towards other vehicles in the Formula and even Nascar projects.

Focus on the aerodynamics and weight reduction aspects. Turbochargers are preferred due to the fact that their drive pressure is a byproduct of the combustion process as apposed to a supercharger which requires mechanical efforts to drive.

Don't waste HP to harnesses something that already exists.

But I would really like to hear your thoughts and theories regardless your chosen route.

J
What exactly is inefficient? Just the supercharger?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Okay, I've changed my mind.

I've decided that the supercharger will instead cool the brakes. If I can left foot brake, and keep my foot on the throttle, lay off the clutch, and keep the brakes cool, I can keep it in gear and keep the delivery of power as smooth as possible. I'm watching the track time database videos right now, and I really want to drive brake heavy when I imagine it's me driving.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
Okay, I've changed my mind.

I've decided that the supercharger will instead cool the brakes. If I can left foot brake, and keep my foot on the throttle, lay off the clutch, and keep the brakes cool, I can keep it in gear and keep the delivery of power as smooth as possible. I'm watching the track time database videos right now, and I really want to drive brake heavy when I imagine it's me driving.
Better off ducting cool air from the front of the car for the brakes. A supercharger takes horse power to run, horse power that is no longer available to move the car, and, as a compressor it is going to heat the air. Do you really want to cool the brakes with hot air?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
What if I adjust the pulleys or the supercharger fins to lower the compression of air, enough to be useful?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Lower drag on the engine? I want to really abuse these brakes.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I want air to hit the brakes relative to engine speed, not vehicle speed.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
And then all I have to do is beef up certain areas of the transmission (one gear with wpc treatment, and some bearings??), that I'll use on the track, and should be able to use left foot braking to keep the drivetrain healthy, while only having to perform cost effective upgrades to the brakes themselves.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Cost effective, you know, like a supercharger with custom fins and a custom mounting bracket custom pulleys and a custom belt...

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I just want engine speed brake cooling.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,077 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I genuinely love the innovative ideas you’re bouncing off of folks here. We should never discourage & stifle innovative thought; however, there is a point when an idea becomes outlandish and unreasonable.

That’s where your “AC compressor for supercharger” swap seems to have gone at this point. It seems like you’ve got a hammer and you’re desperate to find a nail.

That said, give it a shot and see what happens. There have been plenty of awesome ideas that most people thought were nuts until the originator proved it could work.

It would be awesome to someday see all the NASCAR teams running super chargers to cool their brakes and I could tell my wife & buddies the idea came from a guy on the Focus ST forum.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I guess I'm just afraid to mess with the electrical. I removed the fuse for the center console outlet, becuase it got attacked by a five year old and was leaking voltage which I found due to a loose ground problem. Anyway, now my driver side front window rolls down automatically if you hold down the window up button. I fear this electrical system. I really do.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
I genuinely love the innovative ideas thinking you’re bouncing off of folks here. We should never discourage & stifle innovative thought; however, there is a point when an idea becomes outlandish and unreasonable.

That’s where your “AC compressor for supercharger” swap seems to have gone at this point. It seems like you’ve got a hammer and you’re desperate to find a nail.

That said, give it a shot and see what happens. There have been plenty of awesome ideas that most people thought were nuts until the originator proved it could work.

It would be awesome to someday see all the NASCAR teams running super chargers to cool their brakes and I could tell my wife & buddies the idea came from a guy on the Focus ST forum.
Yeah, Henry Ford told his engineers to come up with a single cast v8, and they said it just wasn't feasable. He said to work on it anyway, even if it is just literally impossible he was paying them to try anyway. Like paying someone to dig a hole to China. A year later Ford had a single cast* v8.

All I want is brake cooling that increases as brake temperatures rise.

*??

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,077 Posts
Reactions: ddfred and NimbusST

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
I just want engine speed brake cooling.
Cooling of the brakes does not seem to be a huge issue among those who track their cars; most just use good aftermarket brakes and ducting with very good results. My personal opinion (feel free to ignore me) is you should concentrate your cooling efforts on known cooling issues such as water and oil temperature.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Cooling of the brakes does not seem to be a huge issue among those who track their cars; most just use good aftermarket brakes and ducting with very good results. My personal opinion (feel free to ignore me) is you should concentrate your cooling efforts on known cooling issues such as water and oil temperature.
Oh... so you would say that the fluids themselves are harder to cool than upgraded brakes with the standard fog light cooling? I have a radiator and oil cooler, but I'm still working on the shrouding. I think I'll do that one myself. Might even do my own brake ducts.

Reactions: ddfred

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
....All I want is brake cooling that increases as brake temperatures rise.
A very worthwhile and potentially lucrative pursuit.

Keep working on it but have enough sense to realize when your idea leads you to a brick wall; otherwise your persistence will become weakness rather than a strength.

Keep thinking!! Keep driving!!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts