Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #41

Super Moderator
Yes, because any attempt at innovation must be drug induced.
I used to get pretty innovative back when I used drugs, at least in my own mind. 馃檮

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #43
I used to get pretty innovative back when I used drugs, at least in my own mind. 馃檮
Alright, well put the coke down for a second and tell me how to find a supercharger to swap for my ac compressor.

Super Moderator
Alright, well put the coke down for a second and tell me how to find a supercharger to swap for my ac compressor.

Reactions: NimbusST

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #45
@ddfred I am looking at this exact one, actually, with the only problem being that it won't bolt right up to the ac slot. I'm sure some kind of bracket could be made though, you think that would cost much?

Super Moderator
@ddfred I am looking at this exact one, actually, with the only problem being that it won't bolt right up to the ac slot. I'm sure some kind of bracket could be made though, you think that would cost much?
You're not going to find anything that is going to bolt right up; a bracket is going to need to be fabricated. I'd contact fabricators near you to get an idea how much the cost would be. Shouldn't be too much.

2017 Kona Blue ST1
So after compensating for parasitic loss and fixed boost pressure what's the end game here?

Not trying to knock you just legitimately interested in the desired end results.

J

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #48
Well, the target is either some kind of suction under the front two wheels, or a fix to the heat.

Super Moderator
Well, the target is either some kind of suction under the front two wheels, or a fix to the heat.
Just be aware, superchargers also produce heat; anytime you compress air there is heat generated. Between the parasitic loss and heat generation, I think you will be lucky to break even on any performance (handling) gains or cooling.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #50
Well, see I don't necessarily wanna compress the air, just move it.

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Move it where? I don't think I'm following the logic here?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #52
Create vacuum toward the ground like a fan car, maybe even cool brakes.

Super Moderator
Create vacuum toward the ground like a fan car, maybe even cool brakes.
Rather than spend all that money and add weight with a supercharger, fabrication etc., that may or may not provide any improve at all, I would take out the fog lamps and put in ducting to cool the brakes, put in hood vents to let hot air out from the engine compartment, get a good splitter to add some downforce to the front of the car and get a real diffuser to direct air flow out the back. Invest in some light weight forged wheels to reduce un-sprung weight and get some nice sticky tires. Willing to bet the car would be quicker through the corners and faster in the straights. But that's just me being me; you have to be you.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #54
@ddfred don't get me wrong, I am also doing these things, mostly (I haven't looked into lighter wheels yet because they seem expensive). I just always seek out ways to do more. I am, 90% of the time, misguided and ignorant, but I ****ing LIVE for the rare 10% moment where something really WORKS and I made that, I built it. There's just something very very good about that, surely you understand.

Super Moderator
I do understand, but, what you are wanting to do has been done in the past by automotive engineers working with large budgets and vast resources; if this were viable everybody would already be doing it. Not trying to burst your bubble; like I said, you need to be you. And, good light weight forged wheels are expensive, but the return on your investment in better handling is well worth it. Removing 10 pounds of un-sprung weight from the car will act like removing 100 pounds of sprung weight. A good set of wheels may save you 20 pounds un-sprung which equals better all around performance.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #56
At this moment in time, as we breath, I am pissing off my wife with how much time I'm spending on my car, and I've had to tone it down. I'm gonna train myself as a driver, hopefully with a good driver's coaching, and I spend at least 8 hours driving this car everyday so I can make things like heel-toe and proper hand placement like second nature. I have the bolt-ons, I'm tuned, I've got a radiator, oil cooler, shrouding is bolting up this weekend, got the fog lights removed, looking for how to move the computer so there's more room for ducting, got a new tranny in the works, as well as stock internals wpc treated, etc etc. I'm working on a lot, and I intend to finish it, and I also intend to seek out as many ways as possible to make the car faster in the laptimes.

Two types of people in this world. 1) stock 69 charger, amazing lack of rust, 130,000 miles, still brand new.
2) custom 69 charger pushing a grand hp and cut to the floor, with a fan pointed out the back and a harley engine running it sucking the beast to the asphalt.

One will live forever, and the other wins the race.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #57
Of course, type 2 knows what they're doing and I don't, but I'm trying, and so eventually I will.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #58
I do understand, but, what you are wanting to do has been done in the past by automotive engineers working with large budgets and vast resources; if this were viable everybody would already be doing it. Not trying to burst your bubble; like I said, you need to be you. And, good light weight forged wheels are expensive, but the return on your investment in better handling is well worth it. Removing 10 pounds of un-sprung weight from the car will act like removing 100 pounds of sprung weight. A good set of wheels may save you 20 pounds un-sprung which equals better all around performance.
Gasoline v8 engines made at a price that you and I could afford weren't viable until Henry Ford told his engineers he didn't care if they sat and worked on it in vein or not, he was paying them to develop a single cast v8 and that's what they were to try to do. They called it literally impossible... until he paid them for over a year to try anyway, and then they did it and here we are now in our garages busting knuckles on our very own Ferarri eaters. This is America breh, I'm gonna make this car do the thing I want.

Super Moderator
Gasoline v8 engines made at a price that you and I could afford weren't viable until Henry Ford told his engineers he didn't care if they sat and worked on it in vein or not, he was paying them to develop a single cast v8 and that's what they were to try to do. They called it literally impossible... until he paid them for over a year to try anyway, and then they did it and here we are now in our garages busting knuckles on our very own Ferarri eaters. This is America breh, I'm gonna make this car do the thing I want.
I'm sure you will make it do the thing you want, I'm interested in seeing it succeed where others have failed. Make sure it has the Team Nimbus ST livery on the car so when I'm watching my TV I will know it's you.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #60
End goal, and I do not car how I get there: I want the front wheels to pull the car around, and I want something to give me the effect of pushing down on the front wheels when they are slipping. It cannot be as efficient as rwd or awd, but it could possibly perform better than either.

Yeah bud, when I'm rich and famous (gag) I'll give you a shoutout lol

I just wanna go real real fast.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts