Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
Yeah, but I think I'd be further from getting sanctioned, no?

With proper ground effects, I could create suction.
Oh I doubt it would ever be legal, but it is one efficient fan.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
20 psi, 20 pounds by 3", squared. Right? 360 pounds of downfroce right at the front wheels. Something like that?

Well, I'm gonna see what it will produce, especially with the way I want to arrange it, and maybe it'll just keep the car nice and cool, and maybe I'll add a peak of high end on the right side of my rpms, right?

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
But first I need to find one that will fit...

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh I doubt it would ever be legal, but it is one efficient fan.
Due to cost, but I am a poor boy, nobody love me. If I can make it work, I could make it painfully obvious that it SHOULD be legal.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
so the benefits of a fan car are more downforce/cornering speed, right? Is there a certain track that you would be running thats going to see more benefits from that vs proper front/rear aero?

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
so the benefits of a fan car are more downforce/cornering speed, right? Is there a certain track that you would be running thats going to see more benefits from that vs proper front/rear aero?
Adjustable rear downforce just became legal in F1, no? So, because the downforce is a plottable function, I can tune variable downforce devices to adjust to the fans.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@rambleon84 , to answer your question, theoretically, anytime the front wheels spin and need more traction, the rpms spin the fan and suck the car back down.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
LoL, patent pending.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
Keep in mind that what ever type of fan you may use, there will be parasitic loss of horse power from the engine; superchargers through the belt drive and electric fans through loading the alternator. Not with the jet engine though; you would just need an auxiliary fuel tank. Just think thrust to turbine weight ratio of 10:1. Do It!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So much heat though... plus, it seems like cheating.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Actually, it has been tried. I believe one of the $2000 Challenge winners of Grassroots Motorsports used a tank exhaust blower from a scrapyard/surplusto create downforce:
Actually I've seen this brought up in the Lemons forums. The casters really get me... can I really use casters to maintain the skirt, at 130 mph?

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
This thread is insane and I’m HERE FOR IT

I wanna see your crazy automatic downforce blower setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This thread is insane and I’m HERE FOR IT

I wanna see your crazy automatic downforce blower setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, so far until I can find a supercharger to bolt up to the ac compressor slot that will provide enough downforce with the help of ground effects, or something like this, I'm changing my direction to provide high rates of cooling to the brakes by sucking air through the front of the car in a way that will transform the bottom of the car into a low pressure zone by preventing air from entering the space between the car and the ground. I'm going to aim for keeping the front of the car cool, because if I do that then my cumulative lap times get better. Maybe I can even improve the longevity of my tires.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
Well, so far until I can find a supercharger to bolt up to the ac compressor slot that will provide enough downforce with the help of ground effects, or something like this, I'm changing my direction to provide high rates of cooling to the brakes by sucking air through the front of the car in a way that will transform the bottom of the car into a low pressure zone by preventing air from entering the space between the car and the ground. I'm going to aim for keeping the front of the car cool, because if I do that then my cumulative lap times get better. Maybe I can even improve the longevity of my tires.
Tie wear is a problem for front wheel drive race cars since they both propel and steer the vehicle. Rear wheel drive has a definite advantage.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
@ddfred yup! And my whole interest and motivation here is leveling the playing field against rwd and awd.

Reactions: ddfred

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So, I figured instead of (at the moment anyway) focusing on changing the dynamics of the way the car exits corners (although stay tuned because that'sthe first thing I'mtrying once I find a charger that can bolt up), I could just try to keep the thing out of the pit as much as possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking it was to pull more air across the IC but this is way crazier lol. I’m in for updates!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts