Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick, nobody ask why, nobody tell me the level of intelligence to which this thread aspires, just help direct me, and our fellow readers, to a supercharger that will bolt up to the empty space left by my ac compressor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Without even getting into the hows and why's, if you want an Eaton type roots blower, I'd go with an OEM M45 or M62 from Mercedes SLK320, they are quite compact with their inlet/outlet. I wouldn't bother with a centrifugal type keeping the turbo.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,229 Posts
F it! I see a compound set in the making🤣

·
Registered
77 Posts
Y tho? Is it because a centrifugal won't push as much air?
Centrifugal's act pretty similar to larger turbos, so you'd be making boost in the same place with both of them, which would be kind of defeating the point of twincharging, and your intake/ic plumbing would get ridiculously complicated. Now I suppose it could work if you kept the stock turbo with insta spool and torque, but then at that point the tiny turbo would be choking out the extra airflow from the supercharger in the upper revs. An ideal twincharged setup would be a smaller roots blower, I think a ported M62 would work great on a 2l engine, with a larger turbo, something like a 3071. You would get that down low torque from the SC to make up for any lag on the turbo and let turbo takeover when the SC runs out of steam.

I had a supercharged xterra with the stock M62, there was plenty of times I thought about adding a turbo to it lol. But then again I also thought about TD27 and TD42 turbo diesel swaps from a Patrol, or a VH45DE V8 out of a Infiniti Q45 (which I did actually swap into my S14 240sx)

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welllllll...

I actually wouldn't mind the lag, nor would I mind the plumbing, because it's not going to the engine. Let's just assume for the moment that I just want to put a supercharger right in exchange for my ac compressor, and let it blow. Nothing matters right now except getting a charger that will blow a lot of air at high rpms, and fit with relatively little fabrication.

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
Welllllll...

I actually wouldn't mind the lag, nor would I mind the plumbing, because it's not going to the engine. Let's just assume for the moment that I just want to put a supercharger right in exchange for my ac compressor, and let it blow. Nothing matters right now except getting a charger that will blow a lot of air at high rpms, and fit with relatively little fabrication.
It's not going to create enough down force to make a difference.

Reactions: NimbusST

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
Reactions: wingnutt

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What if I bolt up some ground effects and pipe the air up from the bottom?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You’d probably have more success making a true compound turbo set up. There’s plenty of room there for that.
You know, I very well may do that anyway. Just grab a high rpm only turbo to help my stock turbo when it chokes itself out.

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
What if I bolt up some ground effects and pipe the air up from the bottom?
If something like that, or your other idea worked reasonably well, were cost effective and allowed by the sanctioning body, I think they would already be in use. Credit due for creativeness and innovation though. Ground effects would probably be the better option though.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No one has tried what I'm thinking.

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
No one has tried what I'm thinking.
I'd go for the jet engine then; only weighs 20 pounds and makes 200 pounds of thrust.

Reactions: NimbusST

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The fundamental reason for banning sucker cars is that the fan systems that have presented themselves have all been a fortune to replicate. No one would be able to stay competitive without developing an entirely new kind of car.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd go for the jet engine then; only weighs 20 pounds and makes 200 pounds of thrust.
Yeah, but I think I'd be further from getting sanctioned, no?

With proper ground effects, I could create suction.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts