Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got myself into a little bit of a situation. I noticed I had these light spots in the ABS plastic insert that is part of the rear bumper. I tried getting them out with some concentrated dish soap and a rough sponge but it didn't really do anything. Then I thought maybe a little Goof Off could get rid of them. It did, along with some of the paint apparently? I thought the plastic was black through and through so I didn't think the Goof Off would strip anything off of it. Nevertheless, I now have white streaks (see below). I tried using some Mothers Back to Black that I had laying around but that didn't help at all. Any suggestions how to repair this now?

20171203_161603.jpg

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
First, keep non automotive chemicals away from the car. Now, I would try Solution Finish. This is the week to keep an eye at Autogeek. Every day is a new sale, today isn't great, I wouldn't jump today.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you wiped away the paint I don't think there's really much you can do other than giving it a real light coat of paint. But black is the hardest color to match.....before attempting this find a good how-to.

If it's just kind of stained from the goof off then maybe try stoners trim shine?

I know you probably don't need a lesson at this point but goof off is basically acetone, it really shouldn't be used on plastic and/or paint period without testing a very small unseen section first. But everyone's human, lesson learned :p

Reactions: oVrKiLL

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Outside of ^^ - the cheap - plastidip. The right way - Paint shop. Look up how to remove that portion of the bumper - remove it then take it to a local body shop, and have them re-spray it. If you remove it I don't think the job wont cost as much as if you have them remove it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. However, YouTube to the rescue. There are several videos on YouTube showing that you can restore black trim simply with a heat gun. If you apply the heat lightly and evenly, not concentrating on one spot too long, you can restore the black. I figured why not try it and man did it work. You can't even notice the mess I made anymore, its like it never happened. So if you have dull/worn plastic trim, HEAT GUN. Also, they recommend using some sort of protective sealant afterwards to prevent future wear.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those ABS plastic inserts or anything else abs plastic is not painted to achieve that color. Injection molded, or even thermoformed, abs plastics is dyed to achieve a certain color. You basically bleached(not correct terminology) the plastic and that's why it lost the black color.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those ABS plastic inserts or anything else abs plastic is not painted to achieve that color. Injection molded, or even thermoformed, abs plastics is dyed to achieve a certain color. You basically bleached(not correct terminology) the plastic and that's why it lost the black color.
Yeah I figured it wasn't painted, that's why I initially thought it was okay to try the Goof Off, but that was a mistake. Luckily the heat gun is an effective and free (if you have one, not expensive) fix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: chronos

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Looks like wax

try an automotive wax and grease remover.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Looks like wax

try an automotive wax and grease remover.
That's what I was thinking also but if he hit it with an equivalent of acetone and it didn't come off I don't think it's wax. He can try a few more products like cooper said, but I think he's SoL as far as recovering that back to the black it had before without a replacement or an overcoat of some sort.

OP, maybe try Mother's Back to Black? @Cooper what say you?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I've gotten wax on black trim like that before, it's really hard to get off. It pretty much soaks into the plastic.
I'm like 100% it was wax.

Anyway, the Op said he fixed it with a heat gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've gotten wax on black trim like that before, it's really hard to get off. It pretty much soaks into the plastic.
I'm like 100% it was wax.

Anyway, the Op said he fixed it with a heat gun.
The spots that were there originally, the ones I was trying to get off, may have been wax or something they used when detailing it for sale. You do not see any of that in my picture though. Everything you see in my picture is what I did with the Goof Off. But yeah, regardless, I fixed it with the heat gun so all is well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts