Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, for the past year/20k miles or so, my trans' 2nd gear synchros have been pretty much dead. I have a 2013 ST3 with ~83k miles and I'm finally getting ready to do the swap myself in my buddy's garage with my father. I purchased a used trans off of a 2015 ST with ~12k miles and a "trans kit" (clutch disk, flywheel, pressure plate) off of eBay from a 2015 ST with ~8k miles. If you haven't realized, I'm trying to be a little cheap. I plan on going big turbo sometime next year so I will be going to a Stage 3 clutch and possibly a lightweight flywheel but my 2nd gear is almost completely gone (as is my clutch disk) so I don't want to wait too long for the extra ~$1000 to buy everything.

My question is, aside from the new trans, clutch disk, flywheel, and pressure plate; what else do I need? I suppose I'll need a throwout bearing/slave cylinder (I see they're attached) but anything else? I've ordered the 2 quarts of trans fluid (Motorcraft XT-11-QDC) but do I need anything else?

Has anyone done a trans swap themselves? Any tips or tricks?

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
Hey guys, for the past year/20k miles or so, my trans' 2nd gear synchros have been pretty much dead. I have a 2013 ST3 with ~83k miles and I'm finally getting ready to do the swap myself in my buddy's garage with my father. I purchased a used trans off of a 2015 ST with ~12k miles and a "trans kit" (clutch disk, flywheel, pressure plate) off of eBay from a 2015 ST with ~8k miles. If you haven't realized, I'm trying to be a little cheap. I plan on going big turbo sometime next year so I will be going to a Stage 3 clutch and possibly a lightweight flywheel but my 2nd gear is almost completely gone (as is my clutch disk) so I don't want to wait too long for the extra ~$1000 to buy everything.

My question is, aside from the new trans, clutch disk, flywheel, and pressure plate; what else do I need? I suppose I'll need a throwout bearing/slave cylinder (I see they're attached) but anything else? I've ordered the 2 quarts of trans fluid (Motorcraft XT-11-QDC) but do I need anything else?

Brake fluid to bleed the clutch.

Red loctite
Blue locktite
Antiseize

New flywheel bolts if you are swapping flywheels, they are torque to spec one time use only.

There are quite a few one time use bolts, but if you are on a budget, the flywheel ones are the most important.

There are torque specs you are going to need.

You will want at least two floor jacks, and some lumber, unless you are using the over the top engine brace.

There is quite a bit going on to do this swap.

For the first time, probably two guys 8+ hours in a residential setting.

I have dropped my trans iirc 5 times at this point, so I may know a thing or two about it.

Theres a few tutorials on here. from Ocspy and ST3 4 ME

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...lightweight-billet-flywheel-spec-install.html

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/7043-how-install-quaife-lsd.html

These point towards other mods, but they have a ton of info on dropping the trans.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just curious what did all this end up costing you going 2nd hand? My first gear went out last week on my 13 st with 71k miles lol. Fml right. I have a deductible through carmax for warrenty work up to 125k miles for $600. Trying to see if i should go second hand and swap it or just have the dealer do the fix

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just curious what did all this end up costing you going 2nd hand? My first gear went out last week on my 13 st with 71k miles lol. Fml right. I have a deductible through carmax for warrenty work up to 125k miles for $600. Trying to see if i should go second hand and swap it or just have the dealer do the fix
I'd have the dealer do it at that price, depending on the the stipulations of the warranty....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

Did the kit come with a clutch alignment tool? Your going to need one. 23 spline 1" diameter

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys, haven't been in front of a computer for a while. Just to clarify some things; I'm not doing this in a driveway--it'll either be done in a family friend's auto shop on a lift with my dad. He'll have the tools to do the job as well as a way to get the old trans out and the new one in. It's our first time taking the ST trans out but not the first time we've swapped a trans before. It's either that or I'll have it done at work (I work for an automotive technical school) and I'll have the instructors there do it. Either way, I want to make sure I have all the parts beforehand obviously. I'm not exactly on a tight budget but I'm not looking to go overboard with the upgrade flywheel, clutch kit, and LSD until next Spring. I spent $500 on a 2015 trans with ~12k miles from a junkyard in PA, and the clutch disk/flywheel/pressure plate I got on eBay was $115 shipped to my door. Can't beat those prices! :big smile: I don't mind going 2nd hand only because I plan on putting in a new clutch kit and flywheel in less than a year regardless and my old trans that I'm taking out will be going to Speed Perf6rmanc3 for their carbon synchro kit just in case this happens again.

As for the hardware and torque bolts, do you have any part numbers? Those I'll most likely replace. Or at the very least, the majority of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts