Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my ST is about to hit 30K and I was wondering what maintenance I should do as most of the recommended is done. I currently have new tires that have 1,500 miles until a rotation is needed, I have an AEM dryflow air filter, I recently had my oil changed, and I will be changing my own cabin air filter.

I tried changing my spark plugs, but I think a while back Ford replaced my spark plugs and wrenched them on a bit tight so I haven't been able to change them for fear of snapping a plug in the well. I have some step colder plugs that I can put in. I am not sure if my pads need replacement yet, but I would assume they are close.

So other than probably new brake pads, getting my new plugs put in, and changing the cabin air filter...should I be looking at anything else? Tranny fluid, injector cleaning, brake fluid?

Also should I go through Ford or should I find a shop?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just spoke with Ford and they said the Tranny fluid is good for 100k. The recommended both air filters, tires, rotation, and oil change which are taken care of.

Sent from Hoth Rebel Base

Reactions: W4R

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I just spoke with Ford and they said the Tranny fluid is good for 100k. The recommended both air filters, tires, rotation, and oil change which are taken care of.

Sent from Hoth Rebel Base
Yeah kinda like how Mini Cooper recommends not changing tranny fluid EVER on one of their auto 6sp trans....they're wrong. Change it, trust me.

The moment you do, you'll realize you got used to the sh!t shifting before you changed the fluid. It's a big difference just after 30-40k

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Also here are my brake pads...They are looking kinda thin right? These are all 4. @ddfred @brian60
20170825_095335.jpg 20170825_095437.jpg 20170825_095503.jpg 20170825_095238.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, they don't look thin at all. They would probably last 100k no joke, the stock pads are beasts. If you don't glaze them before then. I'd upgrade them anyway though to Hawks or something just because they are more fade resistant lol
Haha really? Well I will run these for a while then. I'm saving for a wedding so every bit helps.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2015. My battery should be good for another year or so. Im used to my last car that had a sound system. It ate batteries every 2-3 years haha.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Definitely check the battery. Factory batteries (especially Motorcraft), have a reputation for being crap.

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Haha really? Well I will run these for a while then. I'm saving for a wedding so every bit helps.
I'm at 40,000 and the factory pads still have a ways to go. The rears started making some noise about a year ago so I ran out and bought all new pads and rotors front and rear. Went to switch them out only to find about 60% of the pads left, but at least I'm ready when they get thin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting, just changed by rear stock pads...and got new calipers and rotors replaced as les schwab was having a sale.....this was at 43k. My rear rotors were heavily worn and one of my calipers was sticking....and pads were shot...all rear.....maybe i'm a heavy breaker? lol

I'm thinking of getting some hawk pads for my front...although would love to upgrade to the stock RS brembos bake assembly but won't work with 18" wheels, right? anyone know of any brembos that will work with the stock ST 18" wheels?

Anyhow I'm not too impressed with the stock brake setup on the ST and never have been that impressed with stock Ford brakes...but maybe i've just had bad luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did my brakes front and rear around 85K, stock pads still had plenty of life in them i just noticed some braking performance had gone away so decided to replace. I did my tranny fluid at the same time, simple job and made a slight improvement, cheap peace of mind i'd suggest it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Interesting, just changed by rear stock pads...and got new calipers and rotors replaced as les schwab was having a sale.....this was at 43k. My rear rotors were heavily worn and one of my calipers was sticking....and pads were shot...all rear.....maybe i'm a heavy breaker? lol

I'm thinking of getting some hawk pads for my front...although would love to upgrade to the stock RS brembos bake assembly but won't work with 18" wheels, right? anyone know of any brembos that will work with the stock ST 18" wheels?

Anyhow I'm not too impressed with the stock brake setup on the ST and never have been that impressed with stock Ford brakes...but maybe i've just had bad luck.
been covered time and time again but here it goes:

Yes RS brembos work on most all 18s but not the stock snowflakes... but you can run a 5mm spacer and they will clear

If you piece the brakes together it is cheaper, I did it with upgraded pads and SS lines (have SS lines but the RS brembos are different :( ) and was in for about $700 and change. Might be my next mod before next summer, stock brakes are good enough for the winter months.

I tend to shift down and hardly ever use my brakes, I took it to the dealer a month ago and they commented how little the brakes were worn for 50K miles haha .

·
Registered
455 Posts

If you decide to go the RS Brembo route, buy the parts through Sunrise Ford in Fontana, CA. I just finished my RS Brembo brakes install on my ST and it came to 570 and some change after I got my core deposit back! Im on 18s as well and they clear with plenty of room to spare. If im not mistaken the stock premium wheels (not the snowflakes) are the wheels that dont clear due to the spoke and hub shape of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts