Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im the type of guy who researches a lot who is patient when shopping for quality and building for quality.

I use to believe that a custom map would be best made having your car dyno'd but ive learned the data logging is more accurate then a simulated drive.

I was planning on a dyno until i learned of this, your cobb computer will.collect better data on real time driving then a dyno does on simulated driving.

I work with a few guys particularly one who makes a hobby of building tuner cars and some pretty rad motors as well. Sure, all of these companies will tell you dynos are the best for making a cystom map, it cost much more but tbh, nothing is better then collecting data from real time driving then simulated driving imo. Just my opinion, im going to be looking into this more but ive been brought to light about this by a few people i work with, with old timers who have many years of experience doing this.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I guess when I contacted Stratified for a custom tune the first thing you do pretty much after explaining your setup is send them some logs. Haven't heard anyone needing to do a dyno for a custom tune from them or any other tuner on here tbh.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well a dyno will allow for a some what laboratory like approach to a tune, while a street tune will give a real world approach with all the variables that go along with it. An advantage to a dyno tune is safety, you are not on the streets ringing out 3rd or 4th gear, which will take you to speeds that are technically illegal (in most places). Some tuners will do a few pulls on a dyno and then take you on the street to wrap it up. But, honesty a street tune should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Well a dyno will allow for a some what laboratory like approach to a tune, while a street tune will give a real world approach with all the variables that go along with it. An advantage to a dyno tune is safety, you are not on the streets ringing out 3rd or 4th gear, which will take you to speeds that are technically illegal (in most places). Some tuners will do a few pulls on a dyno and then take you on the street to wrap it up. But, honesty a street tune should be just fine.
Yeah, I have a good stretch near me to do my pulls, but my cousin sits on the other end a mile or so away to watch for cops and will tell me over the walki-talki if I need to hit the breaks. Living in a city it could be a problem for people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts