Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Here is a path I found to get the sync version 2.2 software. I did all of this and it works and I now have Carplay on my 2016 Focus ST, but you can all try this or not at your own risk. These two sites (a fusion site and F150 site) have the information:

Ford Sync 3 Hardware Upgrade / Conversion (Replace Existing MyFord Touch)

Current SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information - Page 38 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Both of these threads have multiple download locations. Some of locations stopped working, so you may have to try more than one. There are extra locations listed on different pages of the thread.

From this Focus RS thread:

Ford Sync3 to Include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - Page 19

I found a mention of a USB hub part number that I figured would work on my ST. The part number is HU5Z-19A387-A. I found this part at Tasca parts:

Module - Interface | Genuine Ford | HU5Z-19A387-A : Genuine Factory OEM Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com

I put in this module in the center console (be careful with the power cable when unplugging or they will fall down and you will have to fish them out), did the software update (explained in the links), and now I have Carplay working on my Focus ST.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you so much for this information! Quick question, is the part you have linked the one specifically for the Focus? I've read other posts about people purchasing hubs for other models and the part fitting and working w/CarPlay but they lose connectivity to the front USB port.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for this information! Quick question, is the part you have linked the one specifically for the Focus? I've read other posts about people purchasing hubs for other models and the part fitting and working w/CarPlay but they lose connectivity to the front USB port.
The part I have linked I found at that Focus RS website thread, where the person said he looked it up in Ford's system. This part looks just like the old part. It has one USB port just like the old part and with the new part, both the USB port in the center console and the one in the front work fine.

For the other question about how old of a model does this work with, I think it works with any 2016 with Sync 3. My car was made in January 2016.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If @AtomicSurfPunk has verified that is the correct part get it. I don't think he would come here providing mis-information. The TWO port hubs are not correct for the Focus. They will work but you can't connect the dash USB port then as the hub physically doesn't have the connection for it. The dash usb port is routed to the USB hub in the console and then to the SYNC APIM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If @AtomicSurfPunk has verified that is the correct part get it. I don't think he would come here providing mis-information. The TWO port hubs are not correct for the Focus. They will work but you can't connect the dash USB port then as the hub physically doesn't have the connection for it. The dash usb port is routed to the USB hub in the console and then to the SYNC APIM.
Yes, like I said, I got that part number from this Focus RS website thread:

Ford Sync3 to Include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - Page 19

I did not independently research the part number.

I installed that hub in my ST3 built in January, 2016 and it works. Carplay works and the USB jack in the front and in the center console works.

Now, having said that, I don't think Carplay is very good at all. I thought that in the Carplay screen, pressing the "Sync" button would get me all the way back to the Sync environment, but it doesn't. As long as that cable is plugged into my phone, I can't use any Sync voice commands, like switching between FM stations, songs on my USB, etc. Unplugging the phone brings it all back but then I can't use Apple maps.... Disabling Carplay makes the system work just like before, including Applink.

If only pressing the "Sync" button fully returned you to Sync, this would all work pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
anyone tried this yet?
I downloaded it, and will give it a go when I get home if I don't forget

Also, Why is the NAV version of the file 1.6GB and the non NAV 2.2GB? That makes no sense lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
anyone tried this yet?
I downloaded it, and will give it a go when I get home if I don't forget

Also, Why is the NAV version of the file 1.6GB and the non NAV 2.2GB? That makes no sense lol.
Installed early in the morning and just used android auto to run some errands, worked great for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed on mine today and it worked fine. I had one issue with volume but it might have been my cord.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Can this update be used on a 2013 sync system???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Can this update be used on a 2013 sync system???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe...

If it's running Sync3 yes, MFT and Sync2 is a maybe, per this quote I read on the other forum
"ANYONE THAT HAS A CONVERSION THAT USES THE MFT/SYNC2 USB SHOULD NOT UPDATE AS THIS WILL RENDER YOUR USB USELESS AND YOU WILL NEED A NEWER SYNC3 USB HUB"

so I was lazy last night, I have the files for NON NAVIGATION set up on a USB drive formatted in exFAT, but I didn't do the upgrade.

Reactions: OrangeRocket

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I installed the upgrade from usb drive tonight, automatically ran once I plugged in the usb to the port near the shifter. Took less than 10 minutes. Turned the car off after the update completed, and profit.

Very Very nice. BTW I go into screen settings and force it to night mode, i hate the blue ui for day mode.

I took some potato photos in low light my camera sucks:

Pandora

Google Maps

Exiting back to Sync3 while Android Auto is connected still

Reactions: djfourmoney

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
ok so if you download the file, it has an update 1 and update 2 zip right? The readme says to do update 1 and then update 2.

Well I don't read readme files. I extracted update 1 and 2 at the same time and basically ran both updates at onces.

Then I ran them each individually in order, no difference, fyi.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looking good @angrychair. One thing I love about it, unlike the wife's Sonata, is that when I plug my phone in, Android auto launches on its own
Thats weird.. The auto launch is for Bluetooth in the settings and there isnt one for USB. Looking forward to the update on Sync though. I was going to hold out for the OTA update but might just flash mine too.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts