Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my oil change today as it is that time. So I put my car up on jack stands. I pull the lower engine cover and see this. I bottomed out on my charge pipe. It must have hit hard to be that dended. Now here's the thing. This pipe is still solid. No boost leaks. No cracks that I can see without removing the pipe. The bracket attached to the engine is just fine. This is why you don't cheap out on parts. This is why quality matters. Yes you might pay a bit kroe but it's worth it. I've had this pipe on the car now for four years. The damage happened somewhere between my last oil change and now. Just remember that next time you want to save a few bucks.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Literally just saw this on the cp-e Instagram page haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Premium Member
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i dented mine all the way around with t-bolt clamps. Aluminum pipes are quite frail. Nothing to speak highly of in my book.
I've seen another brand which I will not name break and fail under less stress. As for the T-bolt clamps I've heard of those crushing all sorts of different brands pipes. That's not uncommon sadly.

·
Registered
949 Posts
TLDR: Metal being metal, nothing to see here.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
TLDR: Metal being metal, nothing to see here.
understatement of the year... year is only half way over and you have won!

in terms of charge pipes... others (*COUGH* MBRP) wouldn't have held up, I have experience with this and much less of a hit and more damage done to pipe, mainly the welds breaking on the pipe mounting points. In the picture it doesn't look like any issues with the mounts.

·
Registered
949 Posts
understatement of the year... year is only half way over and you have won!

in terms of charge pipes... others (*COUGH* MBRP) wouldn't have held up, I have experience with this and much less of a hit and more damage done to pipe, mainly the welds breaking on the pipe mounting points. In the picture it doesn't look like any issues with the mounts.
Do I get a trophy?

Reactions: screzzy

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Reactions: screzzy

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I've seen another brand which I will not name break and fail under less stress. As for the T-bolt clamps I've heard of those crushing all sorts of different brands pipes. That's not uncommon sadly.

I wonder if that’s why Mishimoto included worm clamps instead of T bolts with their pipes. I got T bolts to use instead but haven’t installed yet, should I still use the T bolts and just be careful not to overtighten?

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Premium Member
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if that’s why Mishimoto included worm clamps instead of T bolts with their pipes. I got T bolts to use instead but haven’t installed yet, should I still use the T bolts and just be careful not to overtighten?
I personally haven't had an issue with T bolt clamps. Just don't keep wrenching down on the clamp.

·
Super Moderator
8,383 Posts

It's a byproduct of keeping the wall thickness down for weight and my quest to prevent boost leaks got a bit crazy, rofl. CP-e charge pipes are still the best hard pipes in the market. Their mounting tabs,paint, couplers, and locations are top notch. I just went a bit too tight, lmao. I need titanium charge pipes. Totally worth the money, lol

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Tbolt clamps > worm drive

installer that knows what he/she is doing.... PRICELESS (not really because you pay for knowledge ;) and shop time)

I have installed countless T-bolt clamps and a number of different charge pipes. I normally go for broke on them, I have never broken or damaged pipes before

·
Super Moderator
8,383 Posts
Tbolt clamps > worm drive

installer that knows what he/she is doing.... PRICELESS (not really because you pay for knowledge ;) and shop time)

I have installed countless T-bolt clamps and a number of different charge pipes. I normally go for broke on them, I have never broken or damaged pipes before
I have installed depo, mbrp, cpe, several times, on several STs. Only the CP-e got dented. I switched all my t-bolts to full SS ones by HPS, and i guess i went a bit too hardcore. I try to be gentle, but managing such incredible strength is difficult at times. ;)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have installed depo, mbrp, cpe, several times, on several STs. Only the CP-e got dented. I switched all my t-bolts to full SS ones by HPS, and i guess i went a bit too hardcore. I try to be gentle, but managing such incredible strength is difficult at times. ;)
good to know... will keep it in mind for when I do CPE pipes

gentle giant.... hahaaha love the last part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts