Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A funny thing I鈥檝e found that is different between us here in England and you chaps over the pond is, tire rotation ( or tyre, if you spell properly 馃榿), it seems you guys do this, but here we don鈥檛 bother, I don鈥檛 know why we don鈥檛, it鈥檚 just something we don鈥檛 seem to think is necessary, what is the reasoning behind it pray tell?

Super Moderator
A funny thing I鈥檝e found that is different between us here in England and you chaps over the pond is, tire rotation ( or tyre, if you spell properly 馃榿), it seems you guys do this, but here we don鈥檛 bother, I don鈥檛 know why we don鈥檛, it鈥檚 just something we don鈥檛 seem to think is necessary, what is the reasoning behind it pray tell?
Tires last longer when rotated and the tread wear is more even. Asymmetric tires (tyres) rotate rear straight forward to front and fronts switch sides to the rear; directional just back to front, front to back no switching sides (watch the arrows).

Edit: apparently who ever is selling you chaps tyres wants them to wear out faster so that they can sell you another set sooner.

Registered
I read once a while ago that you guys across the pond tend to drive less distance than we do in the states and your roads are more curvy. You guys also have some pretty major climate differences.
This leads to the average treadweare for US tires to be higher and the compounds on average be harder and have an emphasis on them lasting longer. You all probably on average don't bother because you'll wear out tires faster either way.

None of this really applies for us car enthusiasts anyway though, as we all burn through tires at an expidated rate compared to the general populous.

There's more of a difference here in the states where everyone only seems to want to drive a Truck or SUV. 馃ぎ

Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I dont rotate tires unless its an AWD vehicle.

Burn two, replace two. Fronts and rears wear very differently on performance cars.

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
@Skykri that's a really good point. I never thought of that.

@sttwoton I drive 60+ miles a day, mostly interstate. I notice the inside edges of the rear tires on our STs want to wear and feather the edges of the tread, and the fronts want to wear the centers more. I, myself, have personally done 2 alignments on the car on a hunter machine (after changing suspension parts) and I know the car is in spec. But that just seems to be the nature of our suspension design.

I'm pretty sure skykri is probably right here. You and I have entirely different driving conditions.

Registered
I don't remember the last time I had a tire that lasted me more than a year on the FoST. Literally a throw away item after 100 or so auto-x runs. Money just pissed away, all for driving around an empty parking lot for a stupid plastic trophy/plaque and some glory #mypoorlifechoice lol

Super Moderator
I don't remember the last time I had a tire that lasted me more than a year on the FoST. Literally a throw away item after 100 or so auto-x runs. Money just pissed away, all for driving around an empty parking lot for a stupid plastic trophy/plaque and some glory #mypoorlifechoice lol
Well, it's healthier than meth.

Registered

Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read once a while ago that you guys across the pond tend to drive less distance than we do in the states and your roads are more curvy. You guys also have some pretty major climate differences.
This leads to the average treadweare for US tires to be higher and the compounds on average be harder and have an emphasis on them lasting longer. You all probably on average don't bother because you'll wear out tires faster either way.

None of this really applies for us car enthusiasts anyway though, as we all burn through tires at an expidated rate compared to the general populous.

There's more of a difference here in the states where everyone only seems to want to drive a Truck or SUV. 馃ぎ
Yeah, we have things over here called bends and corners 馃槅, we don鈥檛 rotate tyres as it鈥檚 cheaper to replace two at a time rather than all four, usually the drive wheels wear quicker obviously, especially front drive, SUV鈥檚 are fast becoming the favourite over here now, for some strange reason ( even my wife has a Kuga/Escape), but luckily we still love the hot hatch, estate鈥檚 and sedan鈥檚, thanks for the info guys, most enlightening. 馃憤馃徎

Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
Also for daily drivers, or cars that are driven repeatedly on the same routes over and over, there tends to be uneven wear just from this. Maybe your commute to work has 50 more left turns than right turns, or has heavier turns one way vs the other. It's not something to really figure out unless you want to do some funky stat gathering, but by rotating the tires you make sure the ones that are getting the brunt of the wear are given a breather.

Registered
Yeah, we have things over here called bends and corners 馃槅, we don鈥檛 rotate tyres as it鈥檚 cheaper to replace two at a time rather than all four, usually the drive wheels wear quicker obviously, especially front drive, SUV鈥檚 are fast becoming the favourite over here now, for some strange reason ( even my wife has a Kuga/Escape), but luckily we still love the hot hatch, estate鈥檚 and sedan鈥檚, thanks for the info guys, most enlightening. 馃憤馃徎
We have plenty of those here as well. But like I mentioned, at least 50% of the general population will never touch them unfortunately.

• Haha
Reactions: sttwoton

Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
Even if you aligned the car every month, you can't adjust camber or toe on the rear and only toe on front. A lowered car will go out of factory specs. Fwd cars front "tyres" are overworked with steering and propulsion wearing out faster, moving them around give you more miles per "tyre".

Reactions: sttwoton and Kyio

Super Moderator
Even if you aligned the car every month, you can't adjust camber or toe on the rear and only toe on front. A lowered car will go out of factory specs. Fwd cars front "tyres" are overworked with steering and propulsion wearing out faster, moving them around give you more miles per "tyre".
Just so it's out there, my suspension is 100% stock and rear toe/camber is in fact adjustable, although very poorly with one eccentric per side. You have to split the difference when aligning it.

Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
Just so it's out there, my suspension is 100% stock and rear toe/camber is in fact adjustable, although very poorly with one eccentric per side. You have to split the difference when aligning it.
Just changed toe and camber arms on mine to an adjustable ones, only straight bolts. You can buy aftermarket eccentric bolts. Focus had them OEM until the 2011.

Super Moderator
Just changed toe and camber arms on mine to an adjustable ones, only straight bolts. You can buy aftermarket eccentric bolts. Focus had them OEM until the 2011.
The factory eccentric is on the inboard side of the each lower control arm.

Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic ST3
I only rotate my tires because I have different sets for winter and summer. If you're swapping them twice a year, it doesn't add any work to do the rotation as long as you remember to mark which is which.
If you're burning up the driven tires quickly then it does make more sense to just replace the pair as needed. Some people drive with a hatred in their heart for tires, so this is the most economical solution for them.
It ain't me though, I drive with the traction control on 99% of the time lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts