Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know if I ever want to get warranty stuff to detune my car and remove my AP prior to arriving, but I'm getting "the works" done tomorrow for my 1st service since buying the car and I was wondering if I should hide my AP? I don't know if they take note of your car and would by chance document that I have the AP installed and it show up later if I need to use my warranty.

Anyone know if they do anything like this? Or do they just pull it in, swap the oil/rotate tires, and back it back out?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
If you don't give them a reason to look they aren't going to. I usually have my AP uninstalled and out of the car before I bring mine in.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
As a general rule for vehicle service... do not leave anything in your car that does not need to be there. When you say hide your AP, I assume you are saying you would uninstall the tune and leave the AP in the car. Do not do that. Take the AP out of the car. May not happen a lot, but sometimes techs get sticky fingers. The last thing you want is to have your AP stolen.

People probably think I am paranoid in this post, but I worked in a shop that found an employee stealing handicap placards from cars. Customer reported one stolen. Manager knew who worked on the car. The tech told the manager he could search his car. Ended up finding a glove box full of stolen placards in the tech's car, including the one belonging to the customer. We were a reputable shop in a good part of town. The problem is it just takes one bad employee for something like this to happen.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't give them a reason to look they aren't going to. I usually have my AP uninstalled and out of the car before I bring mine in.
As a general rule for vehicle service... do not leave anything in your car that does not need to be there. When you say hide your AP, I assume you are saying you would uninstall the tune and leave the AP in the car. Do not do that. Take the AP out of the car. May not happen a lot, but sometimes techs get sticky fingers. The last thing you want is to have your AP stolen.

People probably think I am paranoid in this post, but I worked in a shop that found an employee stealing handicap placards from cars. Customer reported one stolen. Manager knew who worked on the car. The tech told the manager he could search his car. Ended up finding a glove box full of stolen placards in the tech's car, including the one belonging to the customer. We were a reputable shop in a good part of town. The problem is it just takes one bad employee for something like this to happen.
You guys really think I need to uninstall it and everything? Or just remove it from the car? I was making the assumption it won't be hooked to any computers and they won't be able to tell if I take it out but I guess I might be wrong by the sounds of it

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Good practice to always uninstall it and remove from the car. I don't say that from a hide it from your dealer perspective. I say it because you don't want to have the tune installed and have the dealer flash something to your car. I forget the exact scenario, but would imagine you would have to go through trying to get your AP reactivated. The dealer might not be working on something related to the car's programming, but if they decided to say flash a recall update for you while the car was in, it could become an annoyance.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Good practice to always uninstall it and remove from the car. I don't say that from a hide it from your dealer perspective. I say it because you don't want to have the tune installed and have the dealer flash something to your car. I forget the exact scenario, but would imagine you would have to go through trying to get your AP reactivated. The dealer might not be working on something related to the car's programming, but if they decided to say flash a recall update for you while the car was in, it could become an annoyance.
Exactly why I never go to a dealer for anything but buying a car (I'm a little paranoid I guess).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Exactly why I never go to a dealer for anything but buying a car (I'm a little paranoid I guess).
I am not a fan either. You can only have the dealer over torque a replacement strut bearing so many times (about 4 to be exact) before you get tired of it and do it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm half tempted to risk it and just remove the accessport from my vehicle and the OBD2 wire and remind the technicians that I want JUST an oil change and tire rotation..I really don't want to have to relearn my OAR considering I just hit -1 yesterday lol. Why must dealers be such a nuisance?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I realize may not be easy depending on your situation, but I would recommend doing the oil change and rotation yourself if you can. Way too many threads on here with dealers putting the wrong oil weight and/or amount in the ST (using the standard Focus weight and quantity).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I realize may not be easy depending on your situation, but I would recommend doing the oil change and rotation yourself if you can. Way too many threads on here with dealers putting the wrong oil weight and/or amount in the ST (using the standard Focus weight and quantity).
Is it really that common of an issue? I'll call and cancel it right now if that's the case. It isn't a top notch dealer by any means, it's just the one that is the closest and works with my schedule.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Is it really that common of an issue? I'll call and cancel it right now if that's the case. It isn't a top notch dealer by any means, it's just the one that is the closest and works with my schedule.
Cannot say it happens enough that your dealer would get it wrong, but it is an easy mistake to make. You have to remember the dealer techs are either going by memory (which is likely of a standard 2.0 Focus and not an ST since they see more of the standard models) or they are looking it up (which can be looked up wrong if they don't look at the ST trim or the turbo 2.0 depending on how their reference book/computer is structured). Not sure how often it happens, but it pops up on the forum a reasonable amount...

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/22463-dealer-put-wrong-oil.html
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/38088-dealer-oil-change-wrong-amount.html
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/27105-dealer-put-5w-20-instead-5w-30-a.html

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
It's fairly common; I buy my own oil and filter and take it to a shop near me. I have become well acquainted with the owner and they let me have a poke around under the car while it's on the lift. They charge $19.95 for the install of my own products and don't mind if I keep an eye on things as they do the work.

Edit: Plus, I get a nice print out showing date, mileage and what was installed in case I ever need to make a warranty claim.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cannot say it happens enough that your dealer would get it wrong, but it is an easy mistake to make. You have to remember the dealer techs are either going by memory (which is likely of a standard 2.0 Focus and not an ST since they see more of the standard models) or they are looking it up (which can be looked up wrong if they don't look at the ST trim or the turbo 2.0 depending on how their reference book/computer is structured). Not sure how often it happens, but it pops up on the forum a reasonable amount...

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/22463-dealer-put-wrong-oil.html
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/38088-dealer-oil-change-wrong-amount.html
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/27105-dealer-put-5w-20-instead-5w-30-a.html
It's fairly common; I buy my own oil and filter and take it to a shop near me. I have become well acquainted with the owner and they let me have a poke around under the car while it's on the lift. They charge $19.95 for the install of my own products and don't mind if I keep an eye on things as they do the work.

Edit: Plus, I get a nice print out showing date, mileage and what was installed in case I ever need to make a warranty claim.

Just ordered some nice motorcraft oil and filter from Autozone, my car will be like 600 miles over the 5k mile service but way less of a headache other than the actual process of changing it myself. And since I'm redipping my wheels anyway soon I'll just rotate them and redip them when they are off the car. Knock out the birds with less stones and such.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts