·
Registered
687 Posts
Very tasty!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
Well then, it's been a very busy week or so leading up to Carlisle. I've had quite a few things in the works for some time and over the last week I've finally had time to take care of most of it (still one large thing purposely omitted here but you'll have to wait just a bit longer for that one).

First up: Dual Damond OCC Setup with the VTA option.

I've been debating on this for quite a while. I was running the Moroso PCV side OCC for a long time and it's been doing its job quite well. However, ever since the install, I've had an oily vapor smell when I have the air non-recirculating. A few times I thought I had chased it down, but the issue kept coming back. On top of that, now that I'm running the GTX2867 turbo, I am emptying the Moroso OCC every 1k miles and it's 2/3 full. I also felt that a VTA option would be beneficial to reduce the excess crankcase pressure now that I'm running the larger turbo. So I'd been considering purchasing the Damond dual OCC setup with the VTA option but just couldn't pull the trigger until recently. My hope was that the Damond OCCs would help reduce the oily vapor smell due to the mostly sealed can design. I also liked how the cans are relatively large which is helpful.

I received the OCC setup in a very nicely packaged box with everything in baggies labeled and all.

IMG_1827.JPG

There were no instructions included in the box which wasn't an issue for the PCV side (there are instructions on the Damond website for this one) but for the VTA side, there are zero instructions. I wasn't sure if it installed just like every other intake side OCC, or if there was another setup that was needed (as there are a bunch of extra fittings included in the kit). It also wasn't 100% clear where to mount the can, however thanks to some threads here on these forums, I was able to identify exactly where.

VBGE5306.jpg

During install I, of course, had to check out my valves to see how clean they were after 42k miles (20k of which include the Moroso OCC). Everything looks good:

Cyl 1
IMG_1837.JPG
Cyl 2
IMG_1836.JPG
Cyl 3
IMG_1834.JPG
Cyl 4
IMG_1833.JPG

What I found was a little surprising. The oily vapor smell wasn't coming from my Moroso OCC. It was coming from the line connected to the back of the intake manifold. The connection was poor and it was allowing a very minute amount of vapor to seep out. Thanks to a good friend I already had a replacement OEM line, which I installed and now have zero oily smell, even with the VTA option (which makes sense when you realize that the VTA is a one way VTA that only vents, under boost, the excess amount of pressure that the vacuum created in the intake can't pull from the crankcase) So far I really like this setup. I haven't needed to empty it yet (as it's been on for less than a week), however I really like the design. There are drain hoses included
which I routed down under the car. All I'll have to do is turn the valve, and unkink and un-ziptie the drain hose and let it drain out into a pan or bottle. I won't need to remove the can ever.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
Next up is the all new suspension setup:

Prototype Focus ST Coilovers and Front End Links from @MFactory and DIY Rear End Links.

As I hinted at a while back, I am one of two to prototype the MFactory coilovers for the Focus ST. My buddy @[email protected] and I spent all day Saturday prepping and installing the suspension. I was honestly a little nervous for a few reasons. One, the Bilstien B8 and Eibach Pro Kit Springs was a fantastic setup. I'm not the only one who would agree that it's the best setup if you aren't getting coilovers. Moving away from that setup, I had high hopes. Second, as these are prototypes there is always the chance that they may not work right out of the box, and suspension is an area that I'm admittedly less knowledgeable in.

First things first, the strut towers. In order to be able to adjust the settings without dropping the front struts, we decided to drill out the front struts. Using a 3" metal hole saw and the TB Performance products plate as a guide (the whole is exactly 3" which held the drill bit in place), we were able to cleanly drill out the strut towers. This took time as the drills will overheat and need to cool down. Once done, we painted over the bare metal with black automotive touchup paint to keep it from rusting. (quick tip, if you do this, make sure you cover the car, the brake rotors, and engine bay with a cloth. We used an old sheet. There are a lot of metal shavings you don't want floating around on your paint, in your engine or brakes.)
Before:
IMG_1874.JPG
After:
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG
After Installation:
IMG_1887.JPG

The rest of the suspension went in without too many tweaks, which was quite nice. There are a few minor adjustments that we recommended to MFactory, and they will subsequently be taken care of. Here are a few installed pics:
IMG_1886.JPG
IMG_1882.JPG

Now, I've been using the Massive Front and Rear end links. The fronts were replaced with end links that MFactory included in with the coilsovers, specifically designed with the coilovers. The rears I ended up replacing with a DIY option. We found these on this forum (can't remember where). They are adjustable, and are short enough to work with lower setups where the MFactory rears are a little lower and stronger than OEM for sure, however don't quite go low enough.

IMG_1880.JPG

Initial impressions are extremely impressive. It's quite easy to adjust the rear dampers after using the included extensions that simply stick through the carpet in the hatch. Just pop the hatch, turn the dials, and you're done. There is a distinct "click" letting you know it's been adjusted. The front is also easy to adjust after drilling through the front strut tower. Just pop the hood and again, turn the dial. It "clicks" just the same as the rear. The difference between each "click" is noticeable but it's not a huge difference. It's the perfect amount of difference between each "click". There are a total of 7 settings. We initially had it set on 3 from soft and for daily driving, I ended up dropping it one click for daily driving. For Autox or track, 3 or 4 from soft will be perfect. The ride height is easily adjustable using the included wrenches. For the front, just pop off the wheels, unlock the collar and, after making sure the pre-load adjustment ring is secured in place, use the wrench to compress the shock body. The adjustments are quite fine, which is actually really nice. It took 6 full rotations of the shock body to drop the car 1/8". This allows for quite fine height adjustments, which I like. For the rear, it does require you to drop the spring, but once the single 15mm bolt is removed, the collar can be rotated (after loosening it) by hand. I re-adjusted the height of all 4 corners in about an hour on Sunday. Not terrible.
The ride quality is phenomenal. It feels like a sports car, yet very composed and mature. I'm sure it may be a little rough for people who simply want something sporty yet casual but for me it's perfect. I've got ZERO knocks or squeaks or odd sounds. Overall, quite impressed. The quality of the components is second to none. So far, I highly recommend this setup.

(pictures of overall ride height etc to come)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Do you guys think that the cutout will be necessary for the end product, or is this something that may get remedied for the final release?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do you guys think that the cutout will be necessary for the end product, or is this something that may get remedied for the final release?
You don't need the cutout. Without it though, you'll have to drop the struts to make camber adjustment. This is the case for ANY camber plate top hats that come on coilovers. The only plates that you wouldn't would be the ones by ground control, but they are designed for the OEM springs/struts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
Cutting out the top of the strut tower is not technically necessary for any coilovers, MFactorys included. It allows one to reach all the adjustments from the top without removing the strut. All coilovers currently are designed this way so it's something they won't/can't change. It's a nice to have and easy to do, so we did it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Copy that. Thanks guys. It doesn't look like that bad of a process, I'm just not experienced with such things. I have some friends who are, though!

Honestly, though, I don't expect I would be changing things once I got 'em how I like 'em.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Copy that. Thanks guys. It doesn't look like that bad of a process, I'm just not experienced with such things. I have some friends who are, though!

Honestly, though, I don't expect I would be changing things once I got 'em how I like 'em.
It really isn't that hard of a task to do. Just seems daunting as you're cutting into the frame, but all your doing is removing some excess metal.
Once it's setup you shouldn't need to adjust it except for at new alignments. Depending on how you drive that could be quite often. I autocross a couple times a month so I get an alignment every couple months. This could also be used for quick camber changes at the track if you have the angles pre marked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
No rubbing in the front?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #615
No rubbing in the front?
Surprisingly no. I thought it might but it doesn't. And I've been hooning through corners on this setup as well. The springs are a bit stiffer (5k front 5.5k) rear which helps

·
Vendor
374 Posts
Production on the 2nd batch will be starting very shortly. If you're interested in a set at the special pre-order price, PM me asap :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #618 (Edited)
Production on the 2nd batch will be starting very shortly. If you're interested in a set at the special pre-order price, PM me asap :)
If anyone is on the fence, I can say without a doubt you won't be disappointed. These are fantastic. After riding in my car, @[email protected] will be changing from his KWs to these coilovers for good.

If you have questions please feel free to ask me

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #620
I like how @Red is yellow
But I have to say the hints of blue on your build are very tasteful... that thing looks awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Hah, Red is a nickname that was given to me back when I was heavily involved in the mustang club. I drove a Race Red '11 5.0 and my name is quite similar to a whiskey....

601 - 620 of 681 Posts
About this Discussion
680 Replies
130 Participants
Red
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing