Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share my funny blunder from last night with you guys. So I just finished up a date and got in my car to head home. It was a busy night and not much parking available so I had parked on this super steep hill (apparently nobody else wanted to lol). So I'm trying to pull out from my parking spot up this hill and I can't get the car to move! Killed it. So I restart it, give it a little more gas, killed it again! I'm thinking to myself "what the hell is wrong with this brand-new car?" I tried pulling out like 3 times and killed it everytime. Frustrated, I finally rev the RPMs high enough to the point where there's no way I'd kill it this time. I finally got it going up the hill, but it was barely moving despite how much gas I gave it. I was boggled as to why the car was giving me so much trouble, but then I realized it was the hill start assist feature! Needless to say I was thoroughly embarrassed. About else have an experience like this when you didn't know how to use the Hill Start Assist feature?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I never run into trouble with hill assist, but then again it's rare that it is needed with where I am.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm in a pretty flat area so I don't need it. I turned it off about 2 months of ownership, but that's because I didn't know about it lol

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Useless feature... that and the sound symposer.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Since we're sharing, I rolled my car into my truck in my driveway. I had done a track day last weekend and was refitting street pads and forgot to pump the brakes when I got back in, and could't get the car into first either to stop it. Ppl do stupid crap all the time. Why shouldn't I?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
wait, how was hill assist keeping the car from moving? anytime it activates for me, it holds the brake right until the car makes enough power to move forward and then releases the brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wait, how was hill assist keeping the car from moving? anytime it activates for me, it holds the brake right until the car makes enough power to move forward and then releases the brakes.
I still don't understand that either. I just turned the damn thing off now so I don't have to figure it out lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine holds until the throttle is touched, then releases. I don't see how it would hold to the point where you'd stall it. Sounds more like you didn't have the parking brake off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine holds until the throttle is touched, then releases. I don't see how it would hold to the point where you'd stall it. Sounds more like you didn't have the parking brake off.
The parking brake was off. That was my first thought. I might turn the Hill Assist back on at some point just to test it, but I'm not too worried about it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
It doesn't hold forever, only like 2 full seconds then it will release.

I turn mine off however because it causes issues and almost got me killed once when I was pulling out onto the highway. I had just reset my battery so it got turned back on and I wasn't aware and went to pull out onto the highway and was NOT on a hill and when I went to pull out (at the time I had plenty of time and wasn't "pulling out in front of" this big rig...I had plenty of time to speed up and not cause issues) for some reason the hill assist caused the car to randomly try to hold as my car was moving forward and was braking as I was pulling forward onto the highway. So I had to really gun it to not have this truck get up into my rear end. Since then it stays off 24/7

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
yeah, to me then, it sounds like Ford needs to do a little more work on this system as it seems to sh!t the bed more often that it should.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts