Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I might end up having to go that route. The one at O'Reilly says it's a six inch diameter, and the diameter of the one on my car is about 4.5". I'm going to compare the two in the morning (when they actually get the part in) and hope.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,267 Posts
It's been years, but I did get a new AC clutch bearing for a Toyota from a bearing supply house like Dixie Bearings by matching the number on the bearing. This seems to be harder to do these days, regardless of auto maker.
I ground off the staked metal tabs some with a Dremel to help get the old bearing out. I used the green loctite sleeve retainer to put it back together.
I did this exact thing on two cars, an Oldsmobile Aurora v8 and a hyundai Tiburon v6. Both times the bearing shop was able to come through for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay, so I've got it fixed! I flirted with pressing the bearing out and just replacing it, I found the new bearing for less than 25 bucks, but the rest of the clutch was in pretty rough shape from salty winters and whatnot. So, I ordered a new one.
the dealerships were quoting me around $316 bucks, which is actually slightly less than the parts stores locally. Nobody has it in stock.
Here's a fun fact: Walmart sells car parts. Not only do they sell car parts,but they sell (in this case) the exact same part the dealer wanted to sell me. The Motorcraft Yb3168 (which is NOT in the system at your local parts store, the number they have is for other Focii which apparently use a slightly different one or something.) And walmart will ship it to you for a little over 200 bucks. WIN.
So, the install was pretty easy, two snap rings and a bolt, and putting the belt back on. HOWEVER, you do need to set the spacing on the clutch properly. They send you a bunch of shims with the clutch. From what I could find, the measurement you want it .025". I set that up pretty quickly with a feeler gauge and the engine is back to its normal level of noise.

Thank you everybody who offered assistance on this, and hopefully this will help other people who are having similar issues.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,267 Posts
Excellent, thanks for sharing!!

I havent checked alldata on air gap in a while, but i think thats a measurement that's gone to the wayside as of late (you know, because throw-away lifestyle) so i appreciate you finding and providing that air gap measurement.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts