Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 ST2 with just 46,000 miles on it. Shortly after I got it I started working from home so I don't need to drive it as much as I'd like. It's been a great car, and pretty reliable too.
I've only done a couple things to it, mostly cosmetic, the only "performance" upgrade being new rotors and performance pads because my stock setup had the pads start sticking and causing rotor warpage .

So, the issues step from a squirrel that decided my car would be a fun place to call home. He went in there and chewed up some wire insulation on the ground wire off the battery, dug a hole in the hood liner, and left breadcrumbs and crap everywhere. He also made a mess out of the Foam sound deadener in the driver's side fender. Well, he met with an unfortunate early demise...purely an accident, I assure you. He probably fell or something.

So, the first issue was that one day I'm out driving, and suddenly the AC starts blowing hot, wet air. This was in August. I don't see anything wrong, and since it's getting cool out now, I'm not in a huge rush. I'm going to borrow a set of gauges from O'Reilly and check the pressure, but I'm worried he vented everything somehow. I know there's a couple soft lines in the AC system.

I also don't seem to be making full boost. The "boost gauge" only goes up about 3/4ths of the way now. I can't see anything wrong with the piping, so I'm not sure it's related.

Lastly, I have a horrible noise from the right side of the engine. It sounds like water running through piping, and grinding. I did some searching here and someone had mentioned oil pump bearings, but the video was removed as the post was from 2016. The sounds is unaffected by rpm, and doesn't seem to cause any performance issues, but I want it gone. It is coming from the passenger side of the engine and seems to be near the accessories, but I can't nail down exactly where it's coming from. Any thoughts would be immensely helpful. video of the sound. I don't know if the video captured it very well, but here you go.

I did go through and check all the fuses, they are all fine, I checked the fan, I've inspected the serpentine belt and looked for obstructions, etc. I'm not afraid to tear into this, I just wanted to see if anyone recognized the sound before I got started.

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies, I (Ithink I) have fixed the link. I'm not sure the mic picked up the sound very well, so I can get another clip with the hood open if you're not hearing it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,348 Posts
I lol'ed at "im sure he fell or something".

I couldn't make out the noise from your video. If you're hearing the rushing water sound and your AC quit, i have to ask, is your coolant low? The AC stops working when the engine is overheating. Also you'll hear water splashing or gurgling through the heater core when coolant is low.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lol'ed at "im sure he fell or something".

I couldn't make out the noise from your video. If you're hearing the rushing water sound and your AC quit, i have to ask, is your coolant low? The AC stops working when the engine is overheating. Also you'll hear water splashing or gurgling through the heater core when coolant is low.
That's an idea that hadn't crossed my mind. I will look into that after work. Thank you!

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,946 Posts
Yep - no such thing as coincidences when it comes to car faullt symptoms…..😂
The A/C will also shut off if your outside temp sensor fails to report for whatever reason- it is located in the passenger door mirror. But if you have a logical reading on your display then that’s not it!

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,922 Posts
I couldn't hear noise either.
Did you use an airlift device to suck the air out and refill coolant?
All connections good and no leaks? Maybe cold pressure test to be sure.

Side note, my sister lost a kitten that got up in the old vw bug motor and jumped out halfway to town on the road.

I also found a mouse leg portion on a Subaru motor once that explained a squealing belt. 😁

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been through there with a light and made sure there was no belt rubbing and no obstructions in the moving parts, and I didn't see anything. I'm wondering if the AC pulley is the problem since my AC isn't working...like maybe the clutch died on me. Would that throw a code? I went into the test mode or whatever that's called and didn't see any.
I'll check the coolant and get another video with the hood open after work and see if that helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I added some coolant, which might've been a little low...and it seems like it fixed the noise, but then it made a much worse noise. Ear Pain. Then that noise went away after 90 seconds or so. I drove it, it seemed fine. When I started it up again, the original noise came back for a minute or two.

Where am I losing coolant? I am going to check the oil for chocolaty badness and pray I don't have a head gasket gone.
And in the bloody blue frak is that rattle? It's definitely from the belt area. I guess this weekend I can pull the belt and see if I have a crunchy pulley.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
So, I added some coolant, which might've been a little low...and it seems like it fixed the noise, but then it made a much worse noise. Ear Pain. Then that noise went away after 90 seconds or so. I drove it, it seemed fine. When I started it up again, the original noise came back for a minute or two.

Where am I losing coolant? I am going to check the oil for chocolaty badness and pray I don't have a head gasket gone.
And in the bloody blue frak is that rattle? It's definitely from the belt area. I guess this weekend I can pull the belt and see if I have a crunchy pulley.

Any suggestions?
Check where the heater hoses meet the firewall for the coolant leak; there are connectors there that are known to leak and it is very hard to detect because the coolant gets absorbed into the sound deadening material. Check the belt tensioner for the noise.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,348 Posts
Could actually be a failed AC compressor. You could touch the rubber portion of the AC suction line (right in front of the intake) and feel if it's vibrating to the same frequency of that noise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good points, all. Adding them to my list. As my AC has quit working, I'm leaning toward the compressor having followed the squirrel into the great beyond. I imagine they got rather close during their time in close proximity.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
706 Posts
In a pinch, you can use a long thin screwdriver. Place the end on the suspected source, and with your thumb over the end of the handle, put your ear to it. You will be surprised at what it picked up. Old school I know, but hey, it works.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In a pinch, you can use a long thin screwdriver. Place the end on the suspected source, and with your thumb over the end of the handle, put your ear to it. You will be surprised at what it picked up. Old school I know, but hey, it works.
That IS old school. I remember seeing that on old movies when I was a kid, and I've done similar a time or two. Hoping to have an update tonight assuming I don't get stuck working late. My fear is the AC Compressor went south, and I priced them out and they ain't cheap. Unless you guys know a good place to get one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I went out, pulled the serpentine belt and wiggled the idler. Not enough play in it to justify the noise on that video. It seems the AC compressor is on the bottom o the engine, so that's going to have to wait for the weekend when I can pull the front clip (I've got a fog light out, so...might as well. When it rains, it pours). I put the belt back on and fired it up and no ratcheting sound, so that's a win. I think I got a better clip of the other sound. I noticed if I stood near the passenger door with the hood open, you could really hear it. The recording still muffled it some, but above the normal DI clicking and whatnot, there's like a whooshing/raspy sound. See if you notice it. Doesn't seem to be coming from the pulley, more like just to the right of them as you face the front of the car. Makes me wonder if maybe my thermostat is stuck open and I'm hearing water running. I let it run for a good 10 minutes, still no difference in the frequency of the sound when I rev the engine either. The sound, take 2; the revenge of the noise.
I also tried my AC...granted it was like 43 outside, but still. With the hood open, I didn't hear the clutch engage, nor did I hear the engine bog at all, but...I can't recall that I ever did...but then I wasn't exactly paying attention. On the cars I have in the past (of which there are many) you could hear that clutch. So I ask you guys, does it make a good clunk when your AC comes on?
Lastly, I'd had issues with salt stains on my stock rims, which I now use for winter wheels. Hadn't had any luck getting them cleaned, but I tried some Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 and... well
before
Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive design

after:
Helmet Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

So it wasn't a total waste.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Okay, so for those of you who had your money on "toasted AC Compressor Clutch", please collect your winnings. The bearing on that sucker is seized up tight! I pulled it off today and figured I could run down and pick one up at O'Reilly's or something...but it seems nobody carries that clutch. Scratch that, I DID find one at O'Reilly's that might work.
Anybody know the part number for the Ford item so I can search for it? Or, do you know of a place that sell them that isn't Carparts.com who want almost as much as I can get a whole Compressor for.
I did rent a set of gauges and check the AC System, and it's fully charged.

tomorrow, I think I'm going to knock the bearing out of the clutch because my morbid curiosity wants to see just how bad it is. It sure smells like somebody has been welding on it.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,922 Posts
It's been years, but I did get a new AC clutch bearing for a Toyota from a bearing supply house like Dixie Bearings by matching the number on the bearing. This seems to be harder to do these days, regardless of auto maker.
I ground off the staked metal tabs some with a Dremel to help get the old bearing out. I used the green loctite sleeve retainer to put it back together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts