Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to search but to no avail...

1. Spider headlights. Only passenger side DRL works in normal auto setting during daytime. But both sides work in every other setting. Any ideas what would cause the one side to not work?

2. When I first bought the car the steering wheel was tight. No play. Now, after 30k miles I have about an inch of jiggle before the car starts to turn. What's my fix? Is it just an age thing? An alignment thing? But the car tracks straight and doesn't wobble.

3. When I hit a bump, my car almost side skips... Like the right side spring has more springyness then the left? Is this related to problem 2?

Any thoughts would be great.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,958 Posts
With the headlights, swap left to right and plug them into the opposite side, see if the issue follows the light to see if its an issue with the lights themselves.

I believe problem 2 and 3 are related and thats downright frightening. You need to stop driving the car until you give the suspension a shakedown and figure out what's bad. I personally had to replace one balljoint at 50k miles and another around 70k. Not saying thats your issue but in my experience they're low quality pieces.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have about an inch of jiggle before the car starts to turn.
holy apesh** batman. you really should sort that out before you drive the car anymore and wind up a smear on the pavement somewhere
Get someone to sit in the car and turn the wheel and see what moves and what doesn't. Theres a connection somewhere with as much slop in it as my ex wife, and thats not safe for anyone

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
490 Posts
The Chevy stealer I bought mine from did a clutch and left the drivers side front control arm bolt loose. Similar symptoms and it would have been real ugly if I did not catch it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the headlights, swap left to right and plug them into the opposite side, see if the issue follows the light to see if its an issue with the lights themselves.

I believe problem 2 and 3 are related and thats downright frightening. You need to stop driving the car until you give the suspension a shakedown and figure out what's bad. I personally had to replace one balljoint at 50k miles and another around 70k. Not saying thats your issue but in my experience they're low quality pieces.
I wish not driving the car was an option. Unfortunately it's my only car. I ended up having to go to my parents today, an hour away, and the feeling seemed to go away. So I'm actually learning towards I need new tires. A rather important bit of info that my dad pointed out and I didn't think about was I really only noticed after I switched back to my summer tires. They're Michelin pilot sports 4s, and the quick research I've done also tells me the previous owner over sized them for some reason. Theyre 245/40zr18 instead of 235/40s. Which I didn't think would cause an issue? My dad also pointed out that there's cupping in the middle of the tread like I ran them under inflated but I run at 36 psi? Should I run them higher? I'm planning on replacing the tires and see if the issue goes away.

Also as for the jiggle, the tires are moving with the wheel. So it's not something steering rack related.

If it doesn't go away, where should I begin to look? I already looked at my shocks. No obvious leaks.

This whole situation makes me feel slightly stupid... My mom drove it and she didn't feel anything but she also drives a cmax... So... Lol

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,958 Posts
You do have an option. You either stop driving the car until you actually diagnose the issue, or when the suspension component (if thats the issue) in question breaks, the car will stop driving itself against whatever hard object is alongside the road.

If something is about to let go, you are being extremely irresponsible And a danger to everyone around you by just shrugging your shoulders and going "meh, it must be the tires".

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Chevy stealer I bought mine from did a clutch and left the drivers side front control arm bolt loose. Similar symptoms and it would have been real ugly if I did not catch it.
Thank you for giving me something to actually look at instead of going "your an idiot. You're going to die and everyone else around you will too".

@TurboGT obviously it's a problem. Obviously I'm trying to rectify it. However I can get tires tomorrow, mounted and balanced and maybe fix the problem. Or I can wait 3 weeks for my local Ford dealer to get me in, get fired from my job cause I don't go in, then have no car and no money to fix it and still need new tires. So no...I don't really have an option when comparing those two.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
490 Posts
Thank you for giving me something to actually look at instead of going "your an idiot. You're going to die and everyone else around you will too".

@TurboGT obviously it's a problem. Obviously I'm trying to rectify it. However I can get tires tomorrow, mounted and balanced and maybe fix the problem. Or I can wait 3 weeks for my local Ford dealer to get me in, get fired from my job cause I don't go in, then have no car and no money to fix it and still need new tires. So no...I don't really have an option when comparing those two.
I think a few folks here have offered some sound suggestions. And I agree 100% with TurboGT, this is potentially a very dangerous situation.
Be safe and good luck, hopefully it is just the tires or something simple.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts

How is "give your suspension a safety shakedown" and offering the scenario of "my balljoints were bad at 50 and 70k" not "giving you something to actually look at"?

Literally Any tire shop you pass by is capable Of doing a suspension Inspection and repair. Many can get you in same-day The good thing is, since you're getting tires today, any Technician Thats been properly trained knows that you have to inspect the suspension prior to alignment, as you cannot perform an alignment when the suspension is loose and the tire is allowed to move around.

Yes. You do have an option. Even if you insisted on using that ford dealer thats 3 weeks out, you can rent a car. Is it ideal? No. Is that option expensive ? Yes. But its an option. Better than driving a deathtrap, though.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Just so it’s known, oversized tires won’t cause this, tons of people run 245s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cupping on tires is from being out of balance, not underinflation. While you're getting the new tires why not mention the problem and have them look at it?

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST3
109 Posts
Broken belts can do some really scary stuff when you're driving. Glad you got those replaced!

Reactions: MtnMan
1 - 14 of 14 Posts