Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried to refill my Freon but didn't realize the gauge was wrong bc the compressor was not actually on. I over charged it and now it is blowing hot air. How do I fix this issue?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
The pressure switch is keeping the compressor from cycling because of the over fill. Put the hose back on without the freon bottle and (I hate to say this) blow some of the freon to atmosphere. Do a little at a time till the compressor comes back on. The check it with the little gauge on the charge hose. Make sure you set it to the right ambient temp

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Or if you have the money and want to do it right take to a shop and have them remove the freon and put a vacuum on it and fill it to the right amount

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like ill end up frost biting my face or something lmao how much do you think a shop would charge?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
sigh*

calling it "Freon" is almost as bad as saying VTEC when you are talking about boost...

or calling every car a Dodge...

Freon hasn't been made in over two decades.

#ItsCalledRefrigerant

·
Registered
565 Posts
sigh*

calling it "Freon" is almost as bad as saying VTEC when you are talking about boost...

#ItsCalledRefrigerant
Actually Freon is a brand and they are still in business so...

·
Registered
133 Posts
sigh*

#ItsCalledRefrigerant
Not even close. "Freon" is a trademark name for several refrigerants, owned by Chemours Co. They do indeed make R-134a (what the Focus uses), and market it as Freon, so the OP is correct in his use of the brand name. It is a household name, just like Coke, Band-Aid, and Kleenex. Yes, you can get R-134a that is not "Freon", just like you can get a cola that isn't Coke. But who drinks a whiskey and cola?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
sigh*

#ItsCalledRefrigerant
You lost this one bud lol

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
sigh*

#ItsCalledRefrigerant
You lost this one bud lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not even close. "Freon" is a trademark name for several refrigerants, owned by Chemours Co. They do indeed make R-134a (what the Focus uses), and market it as Freon, so the OP is correct in his use of the brand name. It is a household name, just like Coke, Band-Aid, and Kleenex. Yes, you can get R-134a that is not "Freon", just like you can get a cola that isn't Coke. But who drinks a whiskey and cola?
I didn't realize there were different refrigerant, could this be why the A/C Pro recharge bottle didn't work?

·
Super Moderator
9,538 Posts
I didn't realize there were different refrigerant, could this be why the A/C Pro recharge bottle didn't work?

The AC Pro did work; since you did not install the refrigerant correctly (compressor not running), it over charged and you are in the predicament you are in.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The AC Pro did work; since you did not install the refrigerant correctly (compressor not running), it over charged and you are in the predicament you are in.
Damn, gotta see how much my mechanic would charge to fix it, if it's too expensive ill have to go an anti environmental route lol

·
Super Moderator
9,538 Posts
Damn, gotta see how much my mechanic would charge to fix it, if it's too expensive ill have to go an anti environmental route lol

It will cost how ever much they charge to service the AC; it needs to be vacuumed down, possibly have an oil charge installed (unless they don't do that anymore) and then be recharged. I've seen sale price around me for as low as 79.95, but I would not count on that.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It will cost how ever much they charge to service the AC; it needs to be vacuumed down, possibly have an oil charge installed (unless they don't do that anymore) and then be recharged. I've seen sale price around me for as low as 79.95, but I would not count on that.
I would need to but another recharge kit for around 50 for the gauge to release it myself anyway so ill probably go professional, thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Proper way to fix is to pull out all of the refrigerant, vacuum the system down, and then charge with the exact amount the factory specifies on the label. You should get the best performance and longest compressor life this way. You only ever add oil if you have replaced parts in the system. There are specifics about how much oil goes back in, depending on which part is replaced.

Reactions: Ciappa_ST

·
Registered
180 Posts
There are two automotive refrigerants out there - R-12 is the old stuff, R-134a is what cars use now. The switchover from R-12 to R-134a took place in the first half of the 1990s, any car built in the last two decades uses R-134a. There's no way you installed the wrong refrigerant. R-12 requires a license (EPA section 609 - google it!) to purchase now, and I would be very surprised to find any parts store stocking it. R-134a is what is out on the shelves and what the "charge kits" contain.

I doubt you overcharged it. If the compressor is not running, you cannot get the system to take in enough refrigerant to be overcharged. That said, I suggest you stop messing with it. You can damage the car or injure yourself (frostbite, exploding refrigerant cans) if you don't know specifically how a/c functions, the design of the car, and have the correct tools to diagnose and repair the system.

LSxBrad has provided good advice. On a system using a variable displacement compressor the only way to correctly charge it is to fully evacuate and then charge by weight. Take it to a competent mechanic.

·
Registered
207 Posts
an decent auto mechanic/shop should be able to service the a/c ... heck my local Jiffy Lube does it .....

around here I see prices from $49.95 and up

good idea to read the fine print and see what the 'service' includes. Sometimes the gas is included up to X amount .. sometimes it is always extra.

it is easy to over fill with the DIY bottles which is why I always recommend springing for a 'real a/c guy' to do the work. AND there is no sense in shooting in a bottle of gas if you have a leak!

Reactions: Ciappa_ST
1 - 20 of 24 Posts