Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1998 SVT Contour long ago and to this day I still regret letting it go, and I've been getting the itch to have a toy car. I love the Focus, but it's my daily and quite frankly for me, its fantastic how it is. I've come to the decision that I'm not going to get it tuned, and all I'll deviate from stock on is the FMIC.

So with that a few months ago I started hunting for an SVT Contour to make into a full fledged toy! It wasn't easy to find a clean one either, as they only made a little over 11,000 of them. Because they have the SVT badge on them it helps them keep a bit of a price premium, and while I understand the differences between the SVT, and SE V6 contour are only brakes, struts, sway bars, UIM, and cams. I still wanted to find an SVT.

Well I found one, locally in Riverside a fairly clean all original Silver '99 (only 815 were made in silver that year). With 160k miles on it, it needs some work. I've already gone through and replaced the rotors, pads, and brake hoses. Cleaned up the calipers and juiced the slide pins, full brake bleed, and the brakes feel great on it. Since the point of this is to have a low cost track toy that I will modify over time, all I need to do at this point is service the engine and trans, poly fill the engine roll resistors, slap on some fresh struts/mounts and tires, and she will be ready for some track days.

As the money comes in I'm going to build up a 3L duratec and find another MXT75 transmission to beef up. I'm really torn up on fully gutting it as aside from the driver seat, all the leather is in fantastic condition, the A/C blows a steady 40°F, it passed SMOG for the title transfer with no fuss so that gives me 2 years of play.

So here it is, stock, and ready to be turned into whatever I decide, I'm likely going to keep it tame as the goal is to keep it a low cost toy.

Things I will be doing for sure:
BAT Euro Strut kit: (Better spring rate / dampening, slight drop resulting in -1.5° front camber and -1.0° rear)
SVT Focus brakes: once I wear though the new OES brakes I just put on it.
Fiesta ST Wheels w/ 225/45/17 tires
Custom header back exhaust (quiet)

·
Registered
464 Posts
<3 those cars. Test drove a black one, but I couldn't afford it at 17k for the 1999 model. I walked away with a $2500 Civic hatch instead. #sadface

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cool! I just sold my 99 Tropic Green SVT Contour this year. It was completely bone stock. That car was solid. It had 240K miles when I sold it. Still had the original clutch.

I also had a 96 3.0L turbocharged SE Contour. Not sure if you were part of CEG. I went by BeyondloadedSE.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just recently joined CEG for the database. Right now I'm still collecting parts. I'm working on defeating a small oil leak, I'm hoping it isn't the rear main seal, because if it is I'm not going to NOT put in a new clutch while I'm in there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Getting a custom cat back. Low priority, but rewarding because of noise.
Looks nice! Rear subframe appears to be in really good shape too. A lot better than mine before I replaced it. IMG_6053.jpg

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CV Axles, wheel bearings, and front brakes are all squared away. Fresh transmission fluid, and engine oil change. Now I just need to find my oil leak (praying its the rear valve cover at this point) If I get it to stop dripping oil, all I need to do is replace some bushings, and either stick to the OE struts for now (which work) OR magic another 800$ before my up coming track day. I wanna take this out for it, but if it isn't ready in time the Focus will get to play instead.

The perfect garage is a lot cheaper than people told me it would be.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'll be curious to see how the Fiesta wheels look once they are on. I think you may be the first to install those on a CSVT.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to have to wait on some funds I can either get the rubber for the Fiesta ST wheels, or I can get the Suspension for the car, unless I sell something, or cancel my pre-order on the Mishimoto fmic.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be curious to see how the Fiesta wheels look once they are on. I think you may be the first to install those on a CSVT.

I convinced AV Ford to let me test fit a Fiesta ST wheel off one of their floor models (They were confused by my request, but in the end let me do it) So this is what it looks like, but the tire size is all wrong, as Fiesta ST tires at 205/40/17, so the tire looks TINY, but, well here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have all new sway bar bushings, end links, and strut mounts waiting in the trunk. Just need to get the new struts and springs, then, I have to address the elephant in the room; I have an oil leak I need to stop.

So for now please accept this pretty picture.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I convinced AV Ford to let me test fit a Fiesta ST wheel off one of their floor models (They were confused by my request, but in the end let me do it)
Wow, and here I am having to pull teeth at my local dealer just to get them to unlock one of their RS's to have a look inside.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
Wow, and here I am having to pull teeth at my local dealer just to get them to unlock one of their RS's to have a look inside.
Maybe there is a lot of trouble at dealers in the Seattle area? lol that's unusual.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts