Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I run 93. And yes you do get better performance. I saw a couple of dyno videos on this a couple of days ago which showed some HP and torque increase when comparing between 87, 91, and 93 octanes. The video I saw was from CJ pony parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
Never run less than 93 octane if possible. Yes the car will adapt to lower octane fuels but the power will drop off. Why spend the money for an ST but the refuse to spend the money for 93 octane fuel? Of course for guys stuck with 91(or even worse ACN 91) there's not much that can be done other than methanol injection, ethanol blends or octane boosters.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
To be more specific than 91 vs 93...how about 93 Shell v-power, vs other 93 brands.

Anyone have any experiences with other 93OCT fuel?

I have always used Shell 93, but I have been told recently it's not the best.

·
Registered
933 Posts
To be more specific than 91 vs 93...how about 93 Shell v-power, vs other 93 brands.

Anyone have any experiences with other 93OCT fuel?

I have always used Shell 93, but I have been told recently it's not the best.
Fuel quality varies greatly from region to region. A good way to discover which fuel is higher quality in your area is to datalog different fuels and see for yourself which fuel your car performs the best with.

Out of the local fuels I've personally tested so far I've had the best results with Shell V-Power and Chevron. However, this is 92 octane fuel since 93 is not available where I live.

·
Vendor
2,560 Posts
Fuel quality varies greatly from region to region. A good way to discover which fuel is higher quality in your area is to datalog different fuels and see for yourself which fuel your car performs the best with.

Out of the local fuels I've personally tested so far I've had the best results with Shell V-Power and Chevron. However, this is 92 octane fuel since 93 is not available where I live.
I use the same fuel and after tuning over 500 cars from all over the country I can tell you the WA 92 is good fuel. Better than a lot of 93 fuels out there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It also depends on what you are doing. Mine is my daily, so if I am just puttering to work all week, I run regular. Yes, I lose 9hp. Big deal. The car is tuned for regular anyways, or Ford would not put it in the owner's manual. If I know I am going to a track day/autocross/spirited run, I put 91 (we do not have 93 out west...) a few days prior. It is no big deal like a lot of guys rant about on here. I get the same gas mileage on 87, as I do on 91. It is totally your decision. The cost difference out here is about 0.35 cents a gallon between 87 and 91, so $2-3 a fill up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know how, but I get very good mpg on 93. Highway at 75+ gets me 32, NYC streets get me 23. On 87 I was getting about 26/20

·
Registered
616 Posts
Where i come from we gots 94 octane. In the winter i run supreme (89) cause i drive like a granny during that time.

·
Registered
678 Posts
As has been stated in the other 45,000 threads on this topic, if you are trying to save a few dollars a month by skimping on the quality of gas you are using, you shouldn't have bought a high performance car.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
As has been stated in the other 45,000 threads on this topic, if you are trying to save a few dollars a month by skimping on the quality of gas you are using, you shouldn't have bought a high performance car.

Do you burn 93 in your escape?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I run only Shell or BP 93 in both the ST and Escape.

EDIT - Just to clarify, I do it because of the increased level of detergents found in 93, as well as the increased fuel economy from the engine being able to operate more efficiently. The extra power and improved responsiveness never hurt anyone either. It is absolutely noticeable.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I have been told and read in a few places (so take it with a grain of salt it very well could be incorrect) that the detergents in "shell" 93 is the same as "shell 87" and the only benifit to high octane would be knock resistance (which in your boosted applications is ideal)

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have been told and read in a few places (so take it with a grain of salt it very well could be incorrect) that the detergents in "shell" 93 is the same as "shell 87" and the only benifit to high octane would be knock resistance (which in your boosted applications is ideal)
http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/wayne-county/detergent-in-gas-helps-the-engine-run-cleaner-and-smoother-so-just-how-much-is-in-there-

Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
616 Posts
As has been stated in the other 45,000 threads on this topic, if you are trying to save a few dollars a month by skimping on the quality of gas you are using, you shouldn't have bought a high performance car. Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
What good is high octane fuel in the winter? Either you live in a tropical wonderland and have never seen snow, or you live in a place where fuel is cheap. I live in Canada, where we are taxed to death, that includes fuel as well.
I use 94 octane fuel, only in the seasons where i can use my car for what it is, a high performance car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts