Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this last Friday OMWH from an Iron Maiden concert (which was amazing!) I was on I15 and a Camaro Z28 rolled up next to me (looked like it was a mid to late 90's model). Decided to play a little since it was 12:30 am and there were no cars whatsoever. Did a quick pull to let him know I was interested. Lined up again and went, started in 4th around 4k and to my surprise I was able to keep up till the top of 5th which he then pulled hard on me... Lined up again and same result. I think he was just as shocked as I was that I was able to keep up for as long as I did before I ran out of steam. Gave each other a thumbs up and went our separate ways.
I've got a resonator delete and a drop in filter with a JBR elbow piece to replace the ugly accordion part on the intake.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
None of them made very much HP from that generation. The highest HP from that generation was 325 for the SS and Z28. The standards made 285

·
Registered
744 Posts
The 98-02 Trans Am WS6's were much more impressive. ~325 HP, 350 Tq, and ~3400 pounds. They were beasts. With a 6-speed, they were high 12-second cars stock. They were also detuned from the factory to avoid competing with the C5 'Vette. A nice WS6 is still one of my dream cars.

OP, I think that you ran against a 1993-1997 Camaro Z28 with the LT1 as they were all under 300 HP (unless it was a SS with the LT4). I don't think a stock FoST should be able to really hang with a stock LS1 F-body.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
^What they said! I bet he was thinking these ST's are quite the little Trooper(s) ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
None of them made very much HP from that generation. The highest HP from that generation was 325 for the SS and Z28. The standards made 285
I did take a look at the numbers from good ol google but I was still shocked by how much I was able to stay with him!

The 98-02 Trans Am WS6's were much more impressive. ~325 HP, 350 Tq, and ~3400 pounds. They were beasts. With a 6-speed, they were high 12-second cars stock. They were also detuned from the factory to avoid competing with the C5 'Vette. A nice WS6 is still one of my dream cars.

OP, I think that you ran against a 1993-1997 Camaro Z28 with the LT1 as they were all under 300 HP (unless it was a SS with the LT4). I don't think a stock FoST should be able to really hang with a stock LS1 F-body.
I wish it was lighter so I could've seen if there were any other indications to tell what year it was...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The hell with the race. I want to see some pics of the Iron Maiden concert.
:whs: :RockOn:
^What they said! I bet he was thinking these ST's are quite the little Trooper(s) ;)
Ask and you shall receive (albeit they're potato pics from my phone.. Sorry about the quality :( )
Just took a couple different pics of the setup that they had. Mainly just had a couple of beers and enjoyed the concert :)
I am amazed how much they move around especially for Bruce seeing as they're in their late 50's early 60's.. No offense to anyone that age :p
The Stage was awesome they had pyrotechnics stuff and huge animatronic figures and even an eddie on stilts made a visit and Bruce ripped out his heart :D

This one was of the set when they played the number of the beast

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
I'm more jelly than Smuckers. What I would have given to be in that pit.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Is there a button to "Like All Posts in Thread?"

Badass. I'd love to have been there! I'm going to the Vans Warped Tour Friday but Iron Maiden wins out.

Oh, yeah, the race...nice. :lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a button to "Like All Posts in Thread?"

Badass. I'd love to have been there! I'm going to the Vans Warped Tour Friday but Iron Maiden wins out.

Oh, yeah, the race...nice. :lol:
Literally best concert I've ever been to...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry? What?

All V8s were either SS or Z28. The only "Standard" model was the V6.

3.4(160hp) or later 3.8(200hp).

The 4-headlight Z28's were LT1 cars with 275-285hp. There are a handful of 4-headlight 1997 "LT4" 340hp Anniversary cars out there, but if you ran into one of these, that guy deserves a thumbs up for having a rare vehicle.

All composite headlight cars were LS1 cars with 305, 310, up to 325 at best in the 2001-2 SS. SS was general a 10-15hp bump over the Z28.

ANY of these in stock form should be a kill for a FBO ST, and a drivers race with minor bolt-ons.

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
<Yoda>325 HP not much, you say?</Yoda>

Even for the current day, 325 HP (the output of LS1-equipped fourth gen F-bodies) is more than the vast majority of new vehicles delivered today, so the assertion is an oddity. But that oddity morphs into full-blown absurdity when viewed historically. A challenge that all car lovers face is to view cars from the past in the context of their time, not the present day. The F-bodies were monstrously powerful for their day. I'll illustrate my meaning with the history of two very important GM small blocks, and their power output in the F-bodies.

In 1992, GM replaced the venerable L98 in the C4 with the LT1, which completely transformed the car. In addition to an extra 60 HP, the LT1 made power at places in the RPM band where the L98 wheezed itself to death. (The Vette also benefitted from abandonment of the unloved Doug Nash 4+3 manual. Fun fact: the Corvette never had a five-speed manual transmission. The 4+3's replacement was a 6-speed.) In 1993, the fourth generation F-body debuted with the LT1 under its hood, officially rated at 275 HP. It positively destroyed the third gen F-body in all categories of performance, but especially in a straight line, because the LT1 was so vastly superior to the L98 it replaced.

In 1998, that same fourth generation F-body caught a major upgrade with the LS1 rated at 325 HP. The LS1 not only made an extra 50 HP, but it also made more torque at every useful point in the RPM band. The LS1 wasn't just better than the LT1; it was a LOT better than the LT1, which was a LOT better than the L98 it replaced. The LS1 is an historically great engine that has spawned three more generations of historically great engines.

How good was the LS1-equipped F-body? There was a Car and Driver article in the 90's in which the author waxed eloquent about LT-1 F-bodies equipped with an automatic transmission. Anybody who could afford the car (which wasn't expensive for its performance) became an historically quick driver. Why? It ran 0-60 in 5.7s on pump gas with factory tires. All you had to do was put in drive, hammer the gas, and you got a repeatable time of 5.7s. At the time, this was so quick that only supercars could best performance of that magnitude and consistency. Remember: this was with the LT1, and the F-body got even faster with the superior LS1. But even today, a consistent 0-60 time of 5.7s is still faster than the vast majority of new vehicles delivered -- including ours.

In a race between a stock ST and a stock LS1-equipped F-body, if the F-body is in good condition, I'd put my money on the F-body for any street race. I expect the F-body to easily eat the ST from a stop. From a roll, I'd be impressed if the ST could keep up with the F-body in any gear. And as speeds increase, the F-body will easily walk away from the ST because it has 325 HP, which is a lot more than 252. I understand in great detail that the ST's torque curve is fatter than the LS1's, but it won't matter. The LS1 still has as 75 HP advantage. I think the OP expressed some surprise that he was able to keep up with the F-body from a roll. I share his mild surprise, mostly because I don't think 325 HP is "not much".

Reactions: STSnail

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that I saw Iron Maiden in concert a few years ago. I was at the show because Dream Theater opened for them, but I was also interested in seeing one of the all-time-great metal bands in Iron Maiden. I wasn't an Iron Maiden fan before I saw them, but I've been one ever since. I've listened to their entire catalog so if I see them again, I'll know most of what they play.

Up the irons!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that I saw Iron Maiden in concert a few years ago. I was at the show because Dream Theater opened for them, but I was also interested in seeing one of the all-time-great metal bands in Iron Maiden. I wasn't an Iron Maiden fan before I saw them, but I've been one ever since. I've listened to their entire catalog if I see them again, I'll know most of what they play.

Up the irons!
Nice! I love Maiden, listened to at least 5 of their tunes today....Aces High, Still Life, Wasted Years, Deja Vu, Heaven Can Wait, Die With Your Boots On. Okay 6

1 - 19 of 19 Posts