Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I’m new here
About a month ago I bought my baby a 2015 Focus ST until now I’ve loved every bit of owning it , until today while I was driving hard I was on top of 3rd went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th the dash started flashing and the “engine fault service now” message appeared
I stopped for a bit shut down the engine for few minutes then turned the car back on, waiting for the worst , the car drove fine ,no weird noises and it had full power
But being the paranoid person I am
I want to know how can I check if the engine is damaged or not?!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hello guys I’m new here
About a month ago I bought my baby a 2015 Focus ST until now I’ve loved every bit of owning it , until today while I was driving hard I was on top of 3rd went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th the dash started flashing and the “engine fault service now” message appeared
I stopped for a bit shut down the engine for few minutes then turned the car back on, waiting for the worst , the car drove fine ,no weird noises and it had full power
Thanks in advance.
Do an oil change, check for metal in it and count your lucky stars. Learn from your lesson and possibly do some shifter mods to help solidify feel and precision.

Sent from my IN2020 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
Hello guys I’m new here
Thanks in advance.
Compression test.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
26 Posts
Oops.

An oil change can help you see if anything decided to grenade itself, as stated above. Otherwise see if the butt dyno notices anything. Best you can do without spending money. I'm assuming you can't check the valves are do a compression test yourself, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking what to do.

Try getti g those shifts nice and smooth before going fast. Speed will come later. Also, this isn't a fast & furious movie, nobody actually shifts like that in real life.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
184 Posts
Our cars have a lot of safety features built into the stock tune. I haven't seen anyone fully damage their engine from a money shift (not that I recommend it).

I believe the car detects a mechanical over rev, cuts fuel, and goes into limp mode to protect the motor. I'm sure there are more safety things happening, but I'm not aware of what the are. A new key cycle will clear out the limp mode condition.

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
Our cars have a lot of safety features built into the stock tune. I haven't seen anyone fully damage their engine from a money shift (not that I recommend it).

I believe the car detects a mechanical over rev, cuts fuel, and goes into limp mode to protect the motor. I'm sure there are more safety things happening, but I'm not aware of what the are. A new key cycle will clear out the limp mode condition.
Yeah, but the problem with a mechanical over rev is valvetrain damage. We are an interference motor. When the engine out revs the valve springs, impact. Theres nothing the ECU can do to stop this, thats the issue with a money shift, mechanical over rev can't be mitigated.

The good thing is, most people can't read gauges accurately during such events, so unless it was logged on the AP3 as 9000 rpm, odds are it wasn't.

I've hit 8200-ish perceived before, like 55,000 miles ago. It's all good though, comp test confirmed. Probably was closer to 7800.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
184 Posts
Yeah, but the problem with a mechanical over rev is valvetrain damage. We are an interference motor. When the engine out revs the valve springs, impact. Theres nothing the ECU can do to stop this, thats the issue with a money shift, mechanical over rev can't be mitigated.

The good thing is, most people can't read gauges accurately during such events, so unless it was logged on the AP3 as 9000 rpm, odds are it wasn't.

I've hit 8200-ish perceived before, like 55,000 miles ago. It's all good though, comp test confirmed. Probably was closer to 7800.
I guess it's technically not a real money shift unless it actually breaks. We have all been fortunate!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello guys I’m new here
Thanks in advance.
It's fine. If the ecu had time to give you a warning, it has time to adjust and make sure no damage happened.
Glad you verified with the dealer it's ok but you wasted money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys I’m new here
Thanks in advance.
Dont panic. Check the codes. I did the exact thing on my RS at Sonoma raceway. Same result. Turns out I just spun the crank positioning sensor past it’s programmed limits and the computer freaked out. Cleared the code and it’s fine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts