Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Destructive testing at its finest...

Guess I’d better scrap my plans to push my stock unit to 800whp.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Destructive testing at its finest...

Guess I’d better scrap my plans to push my stock unit to 800whp.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...
Lmao, Ya but 750whp and you should be good to go.:big smile:

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Wow! That’s pretty good! That’s a lot for a stock 4 cylinder block.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Why is a Limited Slip needed? Do you guys even have experience with anything over 300 hp at the front wheels? I do and while I had a Quaife in my SRT-4, I never noticed it. I am also not a person that slams the throttle coming out of a turn.

If you are that person well you know what that is right? Starts with an M

This all or nothing thought needs to stop. If you can drive the ST stock without getting into trouble, then you can drive it at 500 hp without getting into trouble. Just understand when you press the go pedal down you better have it 1) pointed straight, no LSD will save you with that much power 2) nobody better be within 1,000 ft ahead of you it will take at least that much space to stop.

400-500 is nothing to this platform, it handles it with ease. I know you don't want to give an American car company credit for actually engineering a good product but you really should.

Obviously 600-700 hp has limited use. But wouldn't actually be fun to show up at the local drag strip, mount some slicks, do a burnout, launch put a 10 on the board, out run a GTR, actually everything but up the fastest street cars which start in the 8 second range?

Or better yet run a [email protected] mph and gloat you got kicked out... Only people with NO EXPERIENCE would ask how you drive it with that much power. If you tried to drive it like the stock turbo you would need a set of tires and you would need traffic school.

Reactions: kewing

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
at that kind of power, I dont see how a LSD is not a necessity. one tire can only get so much traction, regardless of how good of a driver you are, if you are having to be easier on the throttle to keep traction, you are losing opportunity to go faster. simple physics show that with double the traction and grip, the more power you can put down and the sooner that more power can be put down and the faster you will go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You do realize there's such a thing as turbo lag when you get into turbos that make that much power on a little motor right? 3/4 of the RPM band is waiting for spool. THEN it goes like hell. Driving on the street, flooring it will wait 3 seconds or so, THEN on comes the power.

Should be perfectly driveable, if not more tame than stock weeny turbo.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why is a Limited Slip needed? Do you guys even have experience with anything over 300 hp at the front wheels? I do and while I had a Quaife in my SRT-4, I never noticed it. I am also not a person that slams the throttle coming out of a turn.

If you are that person well you know what that is right? Starts with an M

This all or nothing thought needs to stop. If you can drive the ST stock without getting into trouble, then you can drive it at 500 hp without getting into trouble. Just understand when you press the go pedal down you better have it 1) pointed straight, no LSD will save you with that much power 2) nobody better be within 1,000 ft ahead of you it will take at least that much space to stop.

400-500 is nothing to this platform, it handles it with ease. I know you don't want to give an American car company credit for actually engineering a good product but you really should.

Obviously 600-700 hp has limited use. But wouldn't actually be fun to show up at the local drag strip, mount some slicks, do a burnout, launch put a 10 on the board, out run a GTR, actually everything but up the fastest street cars which start in the 8 second range?

Or better yet run a [email protected] mph and gloat you got kicked out... Only people with NO EXPERIENCE would ask how you drive it with that much power. If you tried to drive it like the stock turbo you would need a set of tires and you would need traffic school.

Dude Ive been drag racing and modifying cars for 35yrs. Stuff that was a helluva lot faster than an SRT4. I don't need you to give me any driving tips.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I was stock open diff on 440whp and will be stock diff on the 600 whp in a few weeks I will come back and let everyone know how bad it is

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Dude Ive been drag racing and modifying cars for 35yrs. Stuff that was a helluva lot faster than an SRT4. I don't need you to give me any driving tips.
Which SRT-4?

The one that has the holds the current 5 speed record? (871 whp) runs mid 9's?

Or the actual world record holder overall (8.69) which also runs 5.78 in the 1/8 mile?

So I take it you've been down to 8.50?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I also don't remember giving you any driving tips.

·
Registered
463 Posts
all you're doing is waiting 3 seconds and THEN the tire will spin.
Exactly... WHomever I was replying to was acting like there is no lag mash coming out of a corner and it's uncontrollable. Nope.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which SRT-4?

The one that has the holds the current 5 speed record? (871 whp) runs mid 9's?

Or the actual world record holder overall (8.69) which also runs 5.78 in the 1/8 mile?

So I take it you've been down to 8.50?
WOW!!!! You must really be a somebody. Does your name happen to be Garlits? Prudhomme? No, No, its Glidden Huh???!!! You don't impress me bud. Especially the way you talk to people on this board. Btw you've already posted that your srt4-3r (whatever that is) ran 12.60's. Again NOT impressed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I currently have a 630whp focus st and have a lsd diff. I can say that when I was at 400whp and no diff slower speed pulls that had any weight shift to the front tires then one wheel would shift between the 2.

Now with the 630whp and a diff tq steer is real if the road is uneven AT ALL. and if you don't have a stiffer rear suspension the weight transfer causes the front to lighten up and with our easy steering you do need 2 hands in 4 gear and above when you get traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
WOW!!!! You must really be a somebody. Does your name happen to be Garlits? Prudhomme? No, No, its Glidden Huh???!!! You don't impress me bud. Especially the way you talk to people on this board. Btw you've already posted that your srt4-3r (whatever that is) ran 12.60's. Again NOT impressed.
I asked a legitimate question since you said in 35 years you have driven cars faster than an SRT-4. That would mean you would have had to driven a car faster than 8.69

Why are you bringing up NHRA Hall of Fame drivers? They are not germane to this discussion, the rest of your reply is deflection, off-topic, etc, etc.

Reactions: Jseams

·
Registered
463 Posts
I asked a legitimate question since you said in 35 years you have driven cars faster than an SRT-4. That would mean you would have had to driven a car faster than 8.69
I do believe there's some 15 second SRT-4's out there... He did say AN, not "the fastest ever".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.