Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm looking to leave the comforts of Miataland, and get a used FoST. I've found a '14 with 60k miles for $15,800. One of my friends INSISTS that this is wayyyyy too high mileage. KBB says it's definitely on the lower end of the price spectrum... Worth it, or should I wait for something with lower mileage? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It is hard to judge a car just on mileage. I have seen cars with 20K on them that I wouldn't buy and cars with over 100K that I would buy. Really depends on how the previous owners took care of the car. Purely on mileage, try to find the lowest mileage you can afford. However, just because a car is in your price range and has acceptable mileage to you, does not make it worth buying. Always check the car out first. If 15,800 is what you can afford and the car is in good shape, then it is at least worth going to test drive/look at.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
If there is nothing at all wrong with the car, that's a fair price and by no means out of the average number of miles. I put 60 miles a day on my 2014 and bought it with 15.8k miles for 21k from a dealer in perfect shape. That was 5 months ago.

Edit: Obviously do the usual checks or bring someone with you that knows what to look for. It is a turbo car with a lot of power to turbo/trans/clutch could be beaten up depending on driver. Test them all thoroughly.

·
Registered
506 Posts
At that mileage and year i would figure it is a commuter that did 15-20k a year. IMO that means it was not beat to snot everytime it was driven. Its probably a good car. Check it out and see that it was not modded and ask about the maintenance that was done. If 16k is your max price its probably a decent buy. For reference my car is less than 2 years old and i just turned 40k this week. I drive 120 miles a day for work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is hard to judge a car just on mileage. I have seen cars with 20K on them that I wouldn't buy and cars with over 100K that I would buy. Really depends on how the previous owners took care of the car. Purely on mileage, try to find the lowest mileage can afford. However, just because a car is in your price range and has acceptable mileage to you, does not make it worth buying. Always check the car out first. If 15,800 is what you can afford and the car is in good shape, then it is at least worth going to test drive/look at.
Thanks for the advice! The issue is that regardless, there is not a single ST within 100 miles of me (what the crap, NC) and either way, I'm looking at either a long drive or a quick flight to pick up anything that doesn't seem disgustingly overpriced. Willing to do either, and to be honest, this one looks IMMACULATE (Saw some similar STs up towards Raleigh with half the miles and absolutely destroyed interiors, for $3k more) so I'm hopeful. I'm mainly making sure I'm not coming up on a point where they're known to fail or anything.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I personally think that price is high for a 14 with 60k miles. People have sold st3's with half those miles in the $17k range. I would try and knock them down to $14k at least. if they have the extended warranty to 100k miles maybe its worth the extra few thousand at $15,800. But with no warranty, $14k is the most I would pay for that car. But I guess things are more expensive in other states.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm mainly making sure I'm not coming up on a point where they're known to fail or anything.
None that I know of. There are some random transmission and engine issues reported in various threads. I don't think there has been an established common mileage for either (implying they are either random manufacturing defects and/or driver abuse). At 60K, the car is certainly going to be hitting a potential for more repair work (depending on previous owner maintenance level).

I hear you on the absence of STs around you. What is your timeline? If you can wait, might be worth it. Might not either. Just pointing out that needing a car tomorrow argues more for accepting not exactly what you want (but getting as close as you can) and/or traveling far to get it. Being able to wait gives you more options (but might also lead to you letting a good option pass you buy).

Any mods on the car in question?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None that I know of. There are some random transmission and engine issues reported in various threads. I don't think there has been an established common mileage for either (implying they are either random manufacturing defects and/or driver abuse). At 60K, the car is certainly going to be hitting a potential for more repair work (depending on previous owner maintenance level).

I hear you on the absence of STs around you. What is your timeline? If you can wait, might be worth it. Might not either. Just pointing out that needing a car tomorrow argues more for accepting not exactly what you want (but getting as close as you can) and/or traveling far to get it. Being able to wait gives you more options (but might also lead to you letting a good option pass you buy).

Any mods on the car in question?
No mods, and I've got about three weeks, max. I just took a job up in MN that starts in 30 days, and the clutch on my NA Miata is shot.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Does the car have winter tires or at least all seasons on it? Needing to take it MN you will need them. Might be a negotiating point if you decide on this one.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Does the car have winter tires or at least all seasons on it? Needing to take it MN you will need them. Might be a negotiating point if you decide on this one.
Hell, if it had allseasons (no-seasons) I wouldn't buy the car without taking 400 bucks off the price to get rid of the awful things.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Insane that 60k is considered on the lower end of the spectrum. My 13 just hit 40k miles.
I do 60 miles a day for 5 days a week plus going out on weekends so if we assume 300 a week from work and just even as low as 30 miles on the weekends (lowballing that number for sure) that's 330 a week x 50 (doing 50 for holidays and days off to avoid overestimating) that's 16,500 a year at least. 2.5 years would put it at 41,250 if I had bought this brand new. There are guys that put over 100 a day so it is easily possible I think. And definitely highway miles or he wouldn't have nearly that many.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That price and mileage seems reasonable. Like others have said, probably a commuter car and worth taking a look at, plus it leaves you some room to negotiate due to mileage.

That said, if you're moving from NC to MN, I live 3 hours from Minneapolis and am selling my ST2'14 with 30k miles for 16k. . . :saint:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Are you going to finance it?

If so I would look for a good deal on a new 2016 ST2. You could probably find one for around $23K. The interest rate would be a little lower, you could probably do 72 months vs 60 months so your payment would not be dramatically more. I have never been a fan of long term financing on a car, but if the rate is real low you might as well get the extra time. Plus you'll have a car that has a full warranty and no worries about how the car was cared for or treated for the past 2-3 years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my '13 ST3 6 months ago with a little over 60k miles for $17k. It was a Ford Certified Pre-Owned, so I get a Ford-backed warranty on the whole car for a year, and powertrain until 100k. The previous owner took VERY good care of it; the outside was excellent, the interior was pristine. I was surprised at the shape of the interior; I've probably put more wear in the 6 months I've had it then they did in the prior 3 years!

It's all about what it's worth to YOU, and what you can afford. If the car appears to have been well taken care of and you get some amount of warranty/guarantee, I'd say there's no issue with buying a slightly "higher" mileage car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you just replace the clutch in your NA and drive that to MN? I imagine replacing the clutch in a Miata is relatively simple. Being forced to buy a car because you are under time pressure is never a good thing.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bought mine new at the end of July and I have over 20k on it. My SE had 204k when it was totaled and ran perfect, never had a problem, never touched anything in the entire drivetrain other than 10k mile oil changes and to clean the connector for the HPFP and there was no sign of anything impending–ran like new (though the clutch was catching a little high). It can't be a lemon with that many miles and unless the guy used it as a city taxi (and it would probably show signs of that in the interior), those would be a lot of easy highway miles. Do all the regular checks and look for signs of abuse and don't worry about it. Generally you can tell a turd that's been abused from one that's been driven in a reasonable manner pretty easily. Bad mods are red flags as are anything more than a minor scuff or dent or so or an unreasonably worn interior (and at 60k, there shouldn't be much beyond trashed floor mats because those things are made from old cardboard covered in recycled Salvation Army bin clothing). Floor mats aside, my SE could have been detailed and looked nearly new when it was wrecked and I don't think I ever did anything but dust it and clean the windows occasionally–these interiors wear well, and that's with jamming bikes and telecommunications equipment in there, so it wasn't like I just drove it back and forth to work by myself. The exterior also had no rust with infrequent washings even in the winter. With a lot of miles, everything gets up to temperature nicely and evenly, everything gets lubricated properly and constantly, and the reliability requirements demanded of someone who drives that much dictate a decent car. I'd try to find out why he's selling–hopefully it's not because it's ready to blow up, but I doubt that's the case. Personally, I'll take higher miles than average over lower (within reason) or even average as it generally comes at a discount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts