Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, a bit worried over here. Pulled out onto the highway and did my first WOT pull since installing coil overs 8 days ago.

Did a third gear pull from rolling 60kmph looked down after saw to my horror saw -6.00 in cylinder 1 & 4 with 11 knock cylinder 1 and 14 knock in cylinder 4.

I had hit 21.55 PSI of boost

I monitor knock and corrections cylinder 1&4 boost, and charge temps

Car is running fine.

MOD LIST

MBRP Catless w/ Roush CBE
Roush CAI
Cobb APV3 w/ COBB Stage 3 OTS 91 oct tune
Cobb RMM
CPE FMIC
Bilstein coil overs

+ other small visual mods

I have NGK 1 Step colder plugs waiting to be installed.

I was running on a recent full tank of Shell 91

Traction control was on (forgot to turn it into sport mode)

Would stock plugs with a stage 3 set up cause this? Or did I get a bad batch of fuel?

I am staying under 5-10 PSI until I can get my plugs installed.

Advice guys?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'd guess bad fuel and the coil over install is just a coincidence. If E85 is available in your area, add a gallon or 2 of it and see if those corrections improve. Or you could order some Torco on Amazon and get it in a couple days. Otherwise flash to your most conservative 87 tune and keep an eye on corrections for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, you're suggesting I run cobb ots stage 3 87 tune? My car is 67k km's of continued 91. Would it be better to just stay out of boost for this tank and the next to clear the lines?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Thanks for the input, you're suggesting I run cobb ots stage 3 87 tune? My car is 67k km's of continued 91. Would it be better to just stay out of boost for this tank and the next to clear the lines?
I would flash to 87 to be safer--in case you forget or get in a situation where you need to punch it...but get some e85 or fuel additive (Torco or Boostane, not the other crap) and you will never have that problem again. Just put it on the shelf for these types of situations. I have some for track days and bad gas--works awesome.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumping

·
Registered
816 Posts
Could just be a ghost and you'll never see it again. In a few days I would try doing another pull but with traction control off. My car pulled a -4.69 the other day and I almost had a heart attack. I had traction control on. Next time I drove and did a pull I had traction control off and got no negatives. Coincidence? Maybe, but I wouldn't doubt that when the ecu tries to limit wheel spin it can put some extra strain on the engine since your foot is still planted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could just be a ghost and you'll never see it again. In a few days I would try doing another pull but with traction control off. My car pulled a -4.69 the other day and I almost had a heart attack. I had traction control on. Next time I drove and did a pull I had traction control off and got no negatives. Coincidence? Maybe, but I wouldn't doubt that when the ecu tries to limit wheel spin it can put some extra strain on the engine since your foot is still planted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply and your input, I agree. I think it may have been a combination of stock plugs, WOT and traction control on.

Anyone else have thoughts please feel free to share!

·
Registered
8,582 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hahahaha! This time around this meme caught me off guard because normally people only post it in threads where someone freaking crashes and totals their car lol.

Really though, if you see another -2 or higher correction I'll take your oil separator :cool:

Reactions: Fuxalt

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doesn't TC pull timing?
Can someone with more experience chime on this? I figured stock plugs and 240-260 whp WOT with TC on (new guy move) are to blame.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Doesn't TC pull timing?
Well stock TC uses the brakes...so I doubt it. I know the stratified/cobb TC has caused corrections in the past for me though I'm pretty sure since it's ignition based.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
BAD gas. shell seems to have this issue from time to time. I am done with shell fuel unless I have a can of torco in my trunk just incase. I now try to only use QT fuel. No problems since switching.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BAD gas. shell seems to have this issue from time to time. I am done with shell fuel unless I have a can of torco in my trunk just incase. I now try to only use QT fuel. No problems since switching.

Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Does the Cobb ots maps have the new TC enabled vs oem tc

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I always thought it was, but I was corrected in the past and told that it must be enabled by a tuner. My recommendation is to just get a Stratified flash tune with THEIR version of it which automatically puts it in mode 2 or 3 (which is 20% slip) as soon as you turn the car on. That is the optimum position for it and it by default the Cobb one starts in mode 1 and needs changed each time you turn on the car.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Nope.

Also make sure there isn't anything hitting something it shouldn't...like charge pipes hitting something, downpipe hitting something under the car. Knock sensors are pretty sensitive.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well stock TC uses the brakes...so I doubt it. I know the stratified/cobb TC has caused corrections in the past for me though I'm pretty sure since it's ignition based.
Stock TC uses brakes first but if the spinning is bad enough it cuts power, which I figured would be pulling timing.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Stock TC uses brakes first but if the spinning is bad enough it cuts power, which I figured would be pulling timing.
Ah, well another reason to turn it off. Sucks anyway. Never heard of it cutting power in stock form

1 - 20 of 22 Posts