Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to stick shift but I tried doing a pull at 60mph 5th gear, gassed it all the way to the floor to 80mph before going 6th gear. I know shouldve went to 4th or 3rd. how much harm did i do to the engine?

·
Registered
163 Posts
my rule of thumb is i generally dont floor it until im at least at 2500rpm in 1st thru 4th gear. 5th gear i wont floor it unless im at least at 3000 rpm. you didnt necessarily do harm, but if you do that constantly and you lug the engine, then it will/can cause damage over time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you want to 'floor it' then downshift first.
To really go fast, from 55 or 60 I go down to 3rd gear.
At 75mph 4th is still available

The harm in trying to do full boost in a high gear is somewhat debatable. It does the engine no good though at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Like I wrote, it did the engine no good. Now a few times is not gonna damage the engine.
Everyone does a few dumb things now and then..
It is just doing the same mistakes over and over...
(A mistake like flooring it at 3,000 RPM in 5th.
I probably have stabbed the pedal now and then to avoid a conflict at freeway speeds..
But if I want to go fast. I would always downshift.) Your error is not fatal, just a not a good idea.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Like I wrote, it did the engine no good. Now a few times is not gonna damage the engine.
Everyone does a few dumb things now and then..
It is just doing the same mistakes over and over...
(A mistake like flooring it at 3,000 RPM in 5th.
I probably have stabbed the pedal now and then to avoid a conflict at freeway speeds..
But if I want to go fast. I would always downshift.) Your error is not fatal, just a not a good idea.
I’m not a mechanic or anything but I don’t think 3k rpm is low enough to be considered “lugging” the engine...LSPI occurs at high boost and low rpm. It’s one of those things that’s easily avoided by using common sense; you’ll know when you are lugging the engine (sort of like how people test clutch friction when they put the engine under heavy load in a high gear)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I’m not a mechanic or anything but I don’t think 3k rpm is low enough to be considered “lugging” the engine...LSPI occurs at high boost and low rpm. It’s one of those things that’s easily avoided by using common sense; you’ll know when you are lugging the engine (sort of like how people test clutch friction when they put the engine under heavy load in a high gear)
It is if you are flooring the throttle at 3,000rpm in fifth or sixth gear...
FINESSE??

I think if you are too lazy to shift.. YOU SHOULD be driving an automatic. LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
The engine is toast. Time to buy another one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts