Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

From increased safety to capturing beautiful vistas, driving with a dash cam nowadays is a no-brainer.

From Russian meteors to Chinese firework factory explosions, the dash cam has become the darling of viral video entertainment. And is responsible for capturing an unfathomable amount of footage that, collectively, has garnered billions of views on the Internet. That’s amazing since the point of owning a dash cam is far different. Most people are more interested in the legal and safety benefits of driving with a dash cam than online entertainment royalties.
Read more about the 5 Reasons You Should Drive with a Dash Cam.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Oh boy..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a dash cam. This is a video from last year. I was pretty lucky if you ask me. Sorry about the loud music in the video, ironically it fits the video. If I had actually been in a wreck, I would have been able to prove that the other car had run the light.

The first dash cam I had was this one, FALCON ZERO F170, which is what the video above was using. It was pretty good, had it for a couple of years. I have recently upgraded to the Falcon Zero HD Touch. Primarily because it is easily removable because of the dock that it sits in. That specific dash cam came with two docks, so i can move it from car to car.

You can check out the Falcon-Zero dash cams here: https://www.falconzero.com/collections/dash-cam

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a dash cam. This is a video from last year. I was pretty lucky if you ask me. Sorry about the loud music in the video, ironically it fits the video. If I had actually been in a wreck, I would have been able to prove that the other car had run the light.

The first dash cam I had was this one, FALCON ZERO F170, which is what the video above was using. It was pretty good, had it for a couple of years. I have recently upgraded to the Falcon Zero HD Touch. Primarily because it is easily removable because of the dock that it sits in. That specific dash cam came with two docks, so i can move it from car to car.

You can check out the Falcon-Zero dash cams here: https://www.falconzero.com/collections/dash-cam
Props for actually doing the right thing and LOOKING before you entered the intersection. I agree that he was completely in the wrong and had you just went you would have been in a 100% his fault accident, but the fact you looked first could have potentially saved your, his/her, etc. life. Which is more important than getting a potential free car or a settlement or something. I really need to get one. I always think "I've never been in a situation where I needed one" but that ONE time it happens it will come back to bite me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've been wanting to get one. What's a rough estimate on cost? installation difficulty? Staple brands vs crap or overpriced brands?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's funny that this should pop up in my feed this morning. Last night on the way home, I captured an accident on my dash cam. I offered the footage to the police, but it was pretty obvious what happened, and who was at fault!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I've been wanting to get one. What's a rough estimate on cost? installation difficulty? Staple brands vs crap or overpriced brands?
I will within the end of the year, I want to make that a goal. It's not expensive and MUCH cheaper than I once thought. There are a bunch of threads about it here on the forum in the Accessories section and stuff I've seen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Definitely worth the money if you ever need it. The one I currently have advertises that in the event of an accident it auto saves the clip for you not sure if that's worth it but I have it. I really don't like having a power cord going across the dash but I deal with if for the peace of mid it gives me.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Definitely worth the money if you ever need it. The one I currently have advertises that in the event of an accident it auto saves the clip for you not sure if that's worth it but I have it. I really don't like having a power cord going across the dash but I deal with if for the peace of mid it gives me.
Are you able to hardwire it?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Are you able to hardwire it?
I hard wired mine and it was super easy. Use this link http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-hard-wiring-radar-detector-other-device.html

I have the Spytech A119 and it has recorded several close calls so far. Earlier this month I had some idiot turn left in front of me in an intersection (had to pump the breaks pretty good) to only then have even dumber teen make a right turn as I was going through the intersection (where I had just almost hit the guy that turned in front of me) and he almost turned right into my front fender because he turned into the far lane. So much dumb in such a short period of time smh.

Reactions: STCrazy and brian60

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I ordered a VIOFO A119 off Amazon last night. I have been kicking myself for a few years because if I had had one during a rather big event that unfolded in front of me I would have had evidence and possibly royalties. I was driving to work and saw a taxi van flying across a yard in front of me. It hit the median hard enough to blow both front tires, then circled back and hit the median again, this time stopping. The driver stepped out with a dazed look with blood all over him. I found out later he had picked up a meth head and he went nuts and stabbed him several times in the face. I kept driving about 100 feet to the next light because I was kind of in shock and was taken off guard. Fortunately I look in my mirror and there were about 10 people stopped to assist (God bless 'merica), some calling the cops and some holding towels to the guy's head. About that time the van started moving and I could hear the tires flopping. He drove right past me in the left turn lane and turned right, right in front of me, tires just a-flopping. The meth-head didn't get too far; he tried to turn right at the next light and of course slid into a pole on the corner. Cops caught up with him shortly after that.
I have also had a couple incidents where insurance had to pay to paint the front of my ST and it would have been good to have a video.

Reactions: lvrbn94

·
Registered
926 Posts
Props for actually doing the right thing and LOOKING before you entered the intersection. I agree that he was completely in the wrong and had you just went you would have been in a 100% his fault accident, but the fact you looked first could have potentially saved your, his/her, etc. life. Which is more important than getting a potential free car or a settlement or something. I really need to get one. I always think "I've never been in a situation where I needed one" but that ONE time it happens it will come back to bite me.
I had made a comment to my dad when he came out here to visit on his motorcycle and told him to not be the first one through the intersection out here because of crap like this. Sure enough he wasn't but 10 minutes out on his ride when he turned around and came back to the house because someone cruised through the intersection and missed one of the cars that was next to him that pulled out into the intersection.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've had one for a few years and appreciate the peace of mind it gives me. One thing to note, I finally switched to a A118 V2 with a shielded power cord. With the other 2 cams I have used in the ST, they were giving off enough interference that I would loose the HD signal when listening to FM stations. So it that is important to you, I recommend shopping carefully.

·
Registered
163 Posts
+1 for blackvue, font and back camera.
Camera quality is awesome, support is awesome (rear cam wasnt working, fixed). Havn't had any battery problems since it stays on for about 15 minutes, after car turns off. Did catch some close calls, but i didn't keep footage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too am in the market for a dash cam. Google searching is overwhelming. I don't know where to start with brand quality, features, etc. Several have posted links but they seem to be biased on what they own.

I'm interested in low profile. I don't need visible video while driving. I would like front and back along with ability to hard wire for power. I don't really care what it cost as long as I'm buying the right product.

Suggestions anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I too am in the market for a dash cam. Google searching is overwhelming. I don't know where to start with brand quality, features, etc. Several have posted links but they seem to be biased on what they own.

I'm interested in low profile. I don't need visible video while driving. I would like front and back along with ability to hard wire for power. I don't really care what it cost as long as I'm buying the right product.

Suggestions anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My understanding is if cost is not an issue then you are looking at Blackvue or Thinkware. Have you found the blackbox my car website? It was well rounded and informative.

I own theBlackvue 650Gw-2ch I am satisfied. Looking at the Thinkware equivalent I often wonder if I made the right choice, but general opinion from others is its a close race.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts